HUGE collections, manic collectors and competlists

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

nightsblood wrote:Could be. I know a collector of 50s/60s albums that's starting to sell off his collection. He said he'd been collecting for around 20 years and it had been a lot of fun, but now he feels like it's time to move on and let the collection go.
Unfortunate the time for this has come and gone.
Both markets are on a downward turn. 50's have been going down for some time now. Should have cashed out 15 years ago. 60's about 8
humus

Post by humus »

Andreas wrote:There are a few large collectors in Belgium. As the legend goes, it seems that Steve (ex-Neuthrone, ex-Thee plague of gentlemen) has a enormous collection. I've heard rumours that he ownes all NWOBHM 7"s. But I doubt that he bought stuff in the last 2 years :twisted:

I wonder how big the collection of Guido Gevels is.
Steve didn't owe that much vinyl, atleast not back in 2003. but I didn't see any NWOBHM in his list so maybe that was seperate? He does owe practically all Belgian demo's including unreleased ones etc, but I think the same thing goes for Guido Gevels or Eddy Vermeiren, atleast when it comes to the 80's.
Guido Gevels has a lot of demotapes and a lot of NWOBHM. Never seen his entire collection but from what he told me, and from what I saw at record fairs as 'getting rid of his doubles' it must be quite something.
Even in Belgium there's people with massive collections that you never hear of. That "Trish" girl from the metal pages apparantly has over 15000 records but I have never heard of her.
And there are other collections than records out there. Stoneagelightning from youtube (who actually is Dutch but lived in Belgium for a while) apparently has thousands of DVD's filled with metal videos. And there's a guy in West-Vlaanderen who told me he has over 3000 metalshirts.
If you've been into the same music for so long it's natural to have big collections. There's a difference though between a big collection and a mega collection. I'll stick with building up a big collection :lol:
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

humus wrote:And there's a guy in West-Vlaanderen who told me he has over 3000 metalshirts.
Aad, ex-Drummer / now singer of Sinister as well has a collection of thousands and thousands shirts, I've actually seen a pic next to his shelf full of shirts, and it was more than impressive :)

However when it comes to Slovenian collectors, I doubt that there are many metalheads with at even 1000 albums, actually I even don't know anyone, perhaps Noisenik knows more here?
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

glockose wrote:
nightsblood wrote:Could be. I know a collector of 50s/60s albums that's starting to sell off his collection. He said he'd been collecting for around 20 years and it had been a lot of fun, but now he feels like it's time to move on and let the collection go.
Unfortunate the time for this has come and gone.
Both markets are on a downward turn. 50's have been going down for some time now. Should have cashed out 15 years ago. 60's about 8
The legendary items still seem to do well, and popular items still in nice condition sell alright, but I'm not surprised that overall the market is heading down. Most of the folks that collect this stuff are getting older, so you have fewer people interested in collecting/more people interested in selling. Most 50s/60s music doesn't transcend generations, so younger folks just aren't interested in collecting early doo-wop, R&B, rockabilly, etc. This concern- fewer active collectors for this style- is also motivating some collectors I know to consider selling sooner rather than later.
I can't help but wonder if the same thing will happen to metal in the future. Metal seems to have more cross-generation appeal, but who knows how well that will hold up in 10, 20 years? "All things must pass" :)
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
humus

Post by humus »

sovdat wrote:
humus wrote:And there's a guy in West-Vlaanderen who told me he has over 3000 metalshirts.
Aad, ex-Drummer / now singer of Sinister as well has a collection of thousands and thousands shirts, I've actually seen a pic next to his shelf full of shirts, and it was more than impressive :)
Yeah, Aad got tons of shirts by trading Sinister shirts.

Edit: just checked, at this very moment Sinister has 7 shirt designs available. Go figure :)
peterott

Post by peterott »

sovdat wrote:
Fils Du Metal wrote:Hah, great entry...those numbers are really not serious, especially the CD number with 1000, funny...5 years change a lot in people's lifes...fortunately/unfortunately :-)
perhaps there's 1 '0' missing, and it's 10.000 ... or did he buy 20.000 CDs in 5 years? :D

Are there any other Corroseum members with 10.000+ collection beside peterott?
do you mean me ???

or this guy ??

@deathster: yes, Andy Preisig is meant I presume.

One more die hard freak in Germany: The Metal Blade guy in Eislingen, Mike Trengert. I don't even want to imagine how many demos from ALLLLLLL 80es Heavy/Power/Thrash/Death/Black/Deathoise bands are stored in his cellar...

Also the Absu drummer seems to be one of the 15.000+ records owner (don't know which styles) and the Opeth vocalist also seems to have some space trouble with his huge collection of basically everything related to rock. Can any Swedes confirm ?
deathster

Post by deathster »

If its Andi Preisig (Iron Glory) then its really funny. I visited Andis house back in summer of 2001... yeah he had LPs laying all over the house. I did not knew he is so "important player". Nice surprise.

From Eislingen I have also nice memory: car crash (not my fault by the way :) )
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Great thread to read :wink: That Robert Haagsma guy indeed released a book about collecting vinyl, I still have to pick it up. I don't know I would ever hit the 10000 items. pretty impossible haha
Long Live The Loud !!!
BloodOfChrist

Post by BloodOfChrist »

do you mean me ???

Holy shit....

nice TERROR sticker by the way! :D
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

The Sentinel wrote: I don't know I would ever hit the 10000 items. pretty impossible haha
Same here! My collection stays in the 1,000-2,000 items range, and usually towards the lower end of that range. If I had kept every single album i've ever bought, i might be at around 4,000-5,000, but i've traded/sold a lot of stuff over the years
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
peterott

Post by peterott »

BloodOfChrist wrote:
Got it from Jim Satanic (Spawn Of Satan) together with the Pain And Suffering 1989-1990 CDR. Incredibly nice guy.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Great thread folks.

I know a few folks who are 60s/70s prog/folk/heavy collectors and have 10-20000 strong (and in a couple of cases beyond that) collections. A guy I traded a bit with about 10 years ago had all his collection (Don't think he ever said how big it was, but I'm guessing around 10000) stolen!! He saw tiretracks from a big truck they had used afterwards. Heaven knows how they got rid of all the records, but it was probably someone hiring them to get the collection since they took nothing else.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

@John - You mentioned having 50's and 60's rock collections and I've also noticed on ebay you selling stuff like AOR and Dwarf records :P how big are these collections compared to the metal stuff you have?

And also I read you writting somewhere that you may not for "20 monsters every year anymore but still find at least 5" which ones have you found this year?
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I have a large vintage robot/space/Japanese toy collection that I collected from the mid 90's till mid 00's that I am thinking about selling to fund some large record purchases but from what I can tell on Ebay & from some robot/toy forums I visit every now & then, the price on those things has taken a bit of a dive!
So I'm not sure whether I should hold onto them or sell them??
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
BloodOfChrist

Post by BloodOfChrist »

peterott wrote:
BloodOfChrist wrote:
Got it from Jim Satanic (Spawn Of Satan) together with the Pain And Suffering 1989-1990 CDR. Incredibly nice guy.
hahaha....He has an original "Entombed In Terror" demo and refuses to give it back to Brian! :D

He's one of the biggest Terror fans EVER, and his music is awesome! Yes, that includes MINCH. 8)