Roadrunner/Roadracer [now on The Corroseum website!]

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Avenger

Roadrunner/Roadracer [now on The Corroseum website!]

Post by Avenger »

What's the difference between Roadrunner and it's (sub)label Roadracer?

There seems to be many pressings on Roadrunner that were also released using the Roadracer name of the same year.

This most commonly takes place in the last couple years of the 80's and first couple of the 90's where the Raodracer name was used for US pressings.

I've been told that this was due to copyright issues in the US during this time so the name Roadracer was used to avoid the heat.

I ask due to collection reasons where this has come up quite often lately.

I'd like to get it out of the way once and for all.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I thought Roadracer was a death metal sublabel from Roadrunner, but I'm not sure. I got a lot of death metal cd's from the early 90's with the Roadracer tag like Pestilence, Deicide, Malevent Creation etc
Long Live The Loud !!!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The Sentinel wrote:I thought Roadracer was a death metal sublabel from Roadrunner, but I'm not sure. I got a lot of death metal cd's from the early 90's with the Roadracer tag like Pestilence, Deicide, Malevent Creation etc
What country were they pressed in?
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

don't know. Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadrunner_Records

It says Roadrunner started as Roadracer in the beginning :? Never knew that, could be wrong though.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The Sentinel wrote:don't know. Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadrunner_Records

It says Roadrunner started as Roadracer in the beginning :? Never knew that, could be wrong though.
Sounds a little off to me and that still doesn't explain the same releases on both labels.

I've never trusted wikipedia either...
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I thought Roadrunner was European & Roadracer was the US side of the label???
John will know!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

I believe what was stated in the original post is correct.

Roadrunner did not really have a US office as such until ca. 1989. Early releases were either licensed out to US labels (e.g. Mercyful Fate via Combat, Fatal Portrait via Greenworld) or not released at all (Court in the Act).

There was also an imprint called RC Records that seemed to be for titles "licensed in" for US release, such as Holy Terror, but also for some of the US versions of the early dm stuff (Slowly We Rot, 10 Commandments, etc.)

Confusing for sure. Someone ought to write to Monte Conner and ask.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Professor Black wrote:I believe what was stated in the original post is correct.

Roadrunner did not really have a US office as such until ca. 1989. Early releases were either licensed out to US labels (e.g. Mercyful Fate via Combat, Fatal Portrait via Greenworld) or not released at all (Court in the Act).

There was also an imprint called RC Records that seemed to be for titles "licensed in" for US release, such as Holy Terror, but also for some of the US versions of the early dm stuff (Slowly We Rot, 10 Commandments, etc.)

Confusing for sure. Someone ought to write to Monte Conner and ask.
That's interesting.

I forgot that I even had Defiance - Void Terra Firma on both Roadracer and RC...

So that means that there were 3 different labels that could all potentially release pressings licensed to Roadrunner in the US.

How confusing...

If someone else could elaborate that would be great.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Its very confusing indeed I have king diamonds no presents for christmas on cassette it says roadracer records all over it then it says & roadrunner productions B.V. which I assume was their official name for awhile ,But Roadrunner records since changed their official name ito "Roadrunner music group B.V." then you got some death metal releases released by R/C records as Professor Black has said and they say "Issused Under License From The All Blacks B.V.", it usually lists the roadrunner nyc office.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I know someone who works at RR, I've asked him & now I'm just waiting for an answer.
From what I can remember, the owner Cees Wessells (?) is a fan of the NZ Rugby team hence 'The All Blacks' term on many of the releases?
I'll find out and let you know what he says...
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Here's the answer from the horse's mouth:
Roadracer was simply what Roadrunner was called as when they started releasing albums domestically in the USA. roadrunner had considerable difficulty in getting the rights to use the name "Roadrunner" in the US. Once that was resolved, they reverted back to Roadrunner and dropped the Roadracer. That's why you'll notice it was a very short period of time.
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

I had assumed that the All Blacks is the publishing company. As Magic Arts is to Century Media, Bloody Skull to Metal Blade...
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

"Roadrunner also licensed quite a few releases from North American labels like Metal Blade or Shrapnel over in Europe during the 80's, most of which are now highly sought-after.

RR is also a label behind highly-collectible series like the Price Killers or the slimlines, and most of their speed/thrash albums were released under the Roadracer name in Europe or RC Records in North America."

- THE METAL LABEL ENCYCLOPEDIA
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

So that means that any pressings of the same album under Roadrunner during the period that the Roadracer/ R/C name was in effect in North America/Europe were pressed in other continents.

Good to know.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

According to what i know, that was the first name they used (roadracer) later on they changed it to the now well known ultra crappy label that is today..... :oops: