Thrashmageddon!

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I can't invite you but I found this about lich king.

QUOTE(Adam @ Oct 21 2007, 12:35 PM) *
Tom probably won't like you uploading his debut album very much. on_the_quiet.gif

Yeah, but what the fuck can I do? I don't have lawyers. If I could stop this shit I would. All I can say is if you stole it and liked it, then I'm glad you liked it. If you stole it and bitched that we're metalcore, you can tickle my ballbag.

Doomedplanet said this:
Iordan just send me this with an order of other cds, so no need to download. Frankly I'm surprised he released this, his other releases in general are far superior to this. The vocals did nothing for me. The music was ok part of the time. This cd will probably go on the 'gift' pile.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

1. whats the deal with this page???

2.im against downloading music specially if you can buy it easily...nothing personal towards the mp3 freaks :wink:
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Its the Information Iordan wanted from that forum.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I'd appreciate an invite as well if anyone would be so generous,
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Abyss wrote:Its the Information Iordan wanted from that forum.
Thanks man, appreciated.

I'm far from the thought of getting there and behaving like internet policeman. It's very apparent to me that the leeching people will always find a way of downlaoding for free, even if I put my releases on sale at $1 each, so be it.

I only want two things from such places:

1. You rip-off and steal my releases, fine, but at least have the basic decency of stating the releasing label, and put a link to the label page.

2. If you have leeched it, dont bitch about it! It amazes me how people will donwload it and then voice demanding opinions. Tom has said it very straight to the point - tickle my ballsack, haha, good one! I'd add: do it with a tongue :lol:

I gather someone called LICH KING "metalcore"? LOL
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

if someone wants an invite, pm me, I have 2 invites available. I only ask one think, comment on anything you download. If you do not, why bother coming there? That is why a huge amount of members were deleted, they just leeched and did not contribute.

By the way if you like Pentagram I uploaded a number of high quality rehearsals and live shows there today. also recently some 1990 thrash tapes from the Portland area and some decent US power metal stuff from the 80's + more. I think it is pretty lame all the new releases there, but it has saved me some money and cost me some money too, knowledge is power. But on the other hand I can hear a lot of rare demo tapes, just like on this forum and Miskatonic, and that is what I love when I cannot find records I need.

Iordan, did you consider my comment a badmouth? I just made an honest opinion. I love the Amulance and Drifter cds and eagerly look forward to Fatal Violence cds.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

doomedplanet wrote:Iordan, did you consider my comment a badmouth? I just made an honest opinion. I love the Amulance and Drifter cds and eagerly look forward to Fatal Violence cds.
No, your comment is okay. I dont mind honest and/or constructive comments at all. I just thought someone who downloaded/received it for free badmouthed it, and that pissed me off. I've send a lot of free copies last month.

If you can, I'd appreciate if you send me an invitation. I'd like to be able to browse and see what people have to say about my releases there.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Checking out new releases via Myspace can work, but only if the band posts 3-4 full-length songs. If they just post 30-second clips or 1 new track, that doesn't give someone enough information to decide whether the album is worth purchasing. Better yet, follow Slayer and Dropkick Murphys and stream the entire album on myspace prior to its release. In this day and age, most people aren't gonna buy an album unless they can hear some of it first (in general; longtime fans will of course buy w/o hearing it). D/ling new stuff can't be prevented, but sales could probably be increased if good previews were made availabe more often.
I thought about signing up at thrashmageddon but decided not to bother with it for now. I could probably find some items I've been wanting to hear, but for now I'm gonna pass
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

nightsblood wrote:Better yet, follow Slayer and Dropkick Murphys and stream the entire album on myspace prior to its release. In this day and age, most people aren't gonna buy an album unless they can hear some of it first (in general; longtime fans will of course buy w/o hearing it). D/ling new stuff can't be prevented, but sales could probably be increased if good previews were made availabe more often.
I totally agree with you. The one thing that rubs me wrong with the free sharing is that the rippers will proclaim it is for evaluation purposes only, yet they will rip it WAY ABOVE CD quality, and will include printable hi-res artworks - EDITED so my logos and contact info have been removed!

Put the entire album in 128kbps, add 500x500px coverartwork so people can see it, RELEVANT label info (not released by GrAvEwIsH or whatever else bullshit) and I'd never say a word or bother about it.

Rip it at 320kbps with hi-res artwork and my logos/info cropped out and that's criminal.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Storm- that sounds reasonable to me.

To All: on a related note, does anyone have an issue with buying used cd's/vinyl of albums that are still in press? I've never heard any metal fans complain about people buying used cd's, but if one of the major complaints against d/ling is that it's hurting the bands/labels by not monetarily supporting them, then doesn't buying a used copy do the exact same thing? Granted, used copies aren't gonna be as readily available as a downloadable file, but the principle is the same.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

nightsblood wrote:Storm- that sounds reasonable to me.

To All: on a related note, does anyone have an issue with buying used cd's/vinyl of albums that are still in press? I've never heard any metal fans complain about people buying used cd's, but if one of the major complaints against d/ling is that it's hurting the bands/labels by not monetarily supporting them, then doesn't buying a used copy do the exact same thing? Granted, used copies aren't gonna be as readily available as a downloadable file, but the principle is the same.
To me, whether or not royalties go the band members for material that is sold doesn't matter. If I had the choice to buy a copy of something I'm in search of from the actual band members themselves or a re-issue through a record company that has a contract with the band then sure, I'd prefer to do it that way. However, if something is no longer in print or extremely scarce in quantity, chances are that when I'm able to get a hold of a copy I'm going to purchase it.

In my opinion, in today’s world, it's a lot of times the bands fault for not having their albums available to make profit from. There are many options, whether it be one of many re-issue labels, self-financing, or hell, even an online download, the list goes on...

I just like having an actual hard copy of the album.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Corimngul

Post by Corimngul »

As a moderator of that site, you can PM me if you need an invite.

The whole download debate tires me, but I realize that it's unavoidable. Legally speaking, pretty much everything we do at Thrashmageddon breaks one or more laws. Morally, very few seem to have anything against downloading old rehearsals, demos, singles or other stuff that's out of print. Yet this is generally (in the timeframe we have here) not allowed at all.

There are more sides to it. Not everyone today owns a turntable, nor was it possible for everyone to get it back in the day (even for those that were there, then) or possible to buy even half of the stuff. In a sense the place could be called a cultural institution. That's the side of Thrashmageddon I'm proud of.

The section with post-1996 releases is actually small in comparison to the "old" sections. Its existence has been debated more than once among the crew. The conclusion so far has been that any way we decide to act will be half-assed and hypocritical. If we delete the section for new releases (with or without claiming legal reasons) then there are still re-issues of old albums and material. And we can never keep track of them all. Not to mention that the other stuff is shady business as well. If, on the other hand, we keep it; advocating that the stuff is easily available elsewhere anyway - what does that make us? In the end it has been kept.

I still haven't made up my mind in full about it all. A lot of it sure is personal responsibility. As you said yourself, people will always be stealing to some extent.
stormspell wrote: yet they will rip it WAY ABOVE CD quality, and will include printable hi-res artworks - EDITED so my logos and contact info have been removed!
I've never noted that last part happening, that's in deed horrible. I don't understand how anyone, even those who support downloading, can actively try to sabotage for the artists and labels.
stormspell wrote: only want two things from such places:

1. You rip-off and steal my releases, fine, but at least have the basic decency of stating the releasing label, and put a link to the label page.

2. If you have leeched it, dont bitch about it! It amazes me how people will donwload it and then voice demanding opinions. Tom has said it very straight to the point - tickle my ballsack, haha, good one! I'd add: do it with a tongue :lol:
1. I’ve noted that this happens more often with old compilations than with new releases. I’m not sure why exactly. It’s not unreasonable, but I’m uncertain of how much difference it would make.

2. As a listener I like others honest opinions – be it hearing a friend, seeing it on a forum or reading a review. From the Lich King thread, I do gather that a lot more people liked the release than disliked it. I think the artist/band/X needs to realize that he/her/them can’t satisfy everyone. Everyone thinks differently, holds different opinions. Telling them that they can’t say “I don’t like it” because they haven’t bought it is unreasonable. Would people who had bought it have the right to demand a change of sound? A sell-out?

Not everyone will like everything. Perhaps it’s easier to notice on the internet. However this is rather a sign of health – a world of uncritical acceptance is a worse scenario in my book.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

stormspell wrote:1. You rip-off and steal my releases, fine, but at least have the basic decency of stating the releasing label, and put a link to the label page.
Corimngul wrote:1. I’ve noted that this happens more often with old compilations than with new releases. I’m not sure why exactly. It’s not unreasonable, but I’m uncertain of how much difference it would make.
It wont make any real difference of course, but at least I will have the peace of mind that IF someone likes the release and want to buy it, the release info would be right there for them to see who released it and where to go.
stormspell wrote:2. If you have leeched it, dont bitch about it! It amazes me how people will donwload it and then voice demanding opinions. Tom has said it very straight to the point - tickle my ballsack, haha, good one! I'd add: do it with a tongue :lol:
Corimngul wrote:2. As a listener I like others honest opinions – be it hearing a friend, seeing it on a forum or reading a review. From the Lich King thread, I do gather that a lot more people liked the release than disliked it. I think the artist/band/X needs to realize that he/her/them can’t satisfy everyone. Everyone thinks differently, holds different opinions. Telling them that they can’t say “I don’t like it” because they haven’t bought it is unreasonable. Would people who had bought it have the right to demand a change of sound? A sell-out?
My reasoning for this is: if you havent seen the actual product you have no real base for judging it.
As far as Lich King goes, yes, the production is abysmal and I cringe every time when listening to it. Unfortunately it was recorded and mixed this way and nothing short of re-recording it from scratch whould have cured it. The music is good though, in my opinion anyway, so I released it. Given the circumstances I made it budget release with 6-page booklet and not much extras anyway.

In either case, so far it has outsold the majority of my releases, which have been crafted and thought much more elaborately. Funny, but true.

The other interesting thing is, there is a newcoming English label which has licensed a 1000 copies LP release of it. :)
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

are there any invitations available?
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

So since I got a cd for free I am not allowed to not like it? Screw that idea. what is pathetic is that my quick criticism of the Lich King cd was used by the band as a way to attack me personally. quite sad in a way that the band could not accept that someone does not like their album.
Corimngul wrote:
2. As a listener I like others honest opinions – be it hearing a friend, seeing it on a forum or reading a review. From the Lich King thread, I do gather that a lot more people liked the release than disliked it. I think the artist/band/X needs to realize that he/her/them can’t satisfy everyone. Everyone thinks differently, holds different opinions. Telling them that they can’t say “I don’t like it” because they haven’t bought it is unreasonable. Would people who had bought it have the right to demand a change of sound? A sell-out?

Not everyone will like everything. Perhaps it’s easier to notice on the internet. However this is rather a sign of health – a world of uncritical acceptance is a worse scenario in my book.