Favourite Hard Rock/Proto Metal releases?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Nightlock

Favourite Hard Rock/Proto Metal releases?

Post by Nightlock »

Not sure if there's a thread about this, did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Accepting upto 85 but it really all should be in the 70's.

Start listing! (I'll come back with mine)
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I think I would mention Icecross or Ironclaw
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

There are tons of these, but I'd like to mention Buffalo first, as their first three albums were fantastic. They were very heavy and I just love that comment they gave in an interview where they were compared to Black Sabbath: "We're not like them, we don't have any of them fancy time changes".
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
otakon

Post by otakon »

Icecross is one band i've been wanting to hear for over a year now, isit hard to find?
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

otakon wrote:Icecross is one band i've been wanting to hear for over a year now, isit hard to find?
The original is. The reissue isn't that easy to find anymore either. The album isn't that heavy, but it does have a dark atmosphere. And if you do find it, don't be scared off by the first track. :D

My favorites are bands like Budgie, Soldier, Bedemon/Pentagram, Thin Lizzy and Necromandus. Though there's still tons I need to check out.
tomas

Post by tomas »

@ otakon:
I can upload Icecross if you want. It has been reissued but the reissue is rather hard to find these days.
Maybe it's time for an upload thread in 'Land Of Mystery', for all those non-80s metal uploads...

My favourite proto-metal bands:
Iron Claw
Budgie
Vulcan
Grand Theft
old Scorpions
Kleptomania
Jenghiz Khan
otakon

Post by otakon »

tomas wrote:@ otakon:
I can upload Icecross if you want. It has been reissued but the reissue is rather hard to find these days.
Maybe it's time for an upload thread in 'Land Of Mystery', for all those non-80s metal uploads...
that would be great!

speaking about dark and depressing atmosphere, i have a CD from Austrian prog rock band Paternoster, that's a personal favourite of mine.

cant go wrong with classics like Atomic Rooster too!

Thin Lizzy is of course my no.1 band.... possibly even above Sabbath and Priest :lol:
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Some bands that come to my mind right now:
Icecross
Ashbury
Blues Creation
Flower Travelling Band
Murasaki
Condition Green
Ganafoul
Sir Lord Baltimore

..and the great Thin Lizzy is one of my all time favourite bands.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
voidghast

Post by voidghast »

Lucifer Was
Sorcery(the US band) and mostly just their "Sinister Soldiers" album
early Scorpions
Winterhawk

I have to check out Iron Claw! From what I have read about it online it seems like it would be awesome.
DMR

Post by DMR »

I love the Scorpions stuff from the '70s, especially In Trance and Taken By Force.

Other favorites:
Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'N Roll
Heavy Load - Full Speed at High Level (is this proto-metal or real metal? If it wasn't for "Caroline" and "Rock and Roll Freak" I'd say this was the first true metal album for sure)
Hand of Doom - Poisonoise
Legend - From the Fjords
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

To name a few : SCORPIONS (Uli Roth era), early UFO, URIAH HEEP, BEDEMON, IRON CLAW, ...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

voidghast wrote:Sorcery(the US band) and mostly just their "Sinister Soldiers" album
That's the band I meant when I said Soldier, confusing the NWOBHM band with the title of the Sorcery album.
caminantenocturno

Re: Favourite Hard Rock/Proto Metal releases?

Post by caminantenocturno »

Nightlock wrote:Not sure if there's a thread about this, did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Accepting upto 85 but it really all should be in the 70's.

Before '85? - That would include all the NWOBHM-stuff! :D

Budgie were mentioned before ... Blue Öyster Cult ... Golden Earring are really great (not too metal though) ... I dunno ... Riot? Gillan? Derringer? Vandenberg? Y&T? Montrose? What do you call "metal" in the 70s actually (apart of course Sabbath, Priest, Motörhead)?
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

caminantenocturno wrote:
Nightlock wrote:Not sure if there's a thread about this, did a quick search and couldn't find anything. Accepting upto 85 but it really all should be in the 70's.

Budgie were mentioned before ... Blue Öyster Cult ... Golden Earring are really great (not too metal though) ... I dunno ... Riot? Gillan? Derringer? Vandenberg? Y&T? Montrose? What do you call "metal" in the 70s actually (apart of course Sabbath, Priest, Motörhead)?
Early Motörhead wasn't metal either. But read the topic title bettter "Favourite Hard Rock/Proto Metal release".
caminantenocturno

Post by caminantenocturno »

Black Axe wrote:
caminantenocturno wrote:

Early Motörhead wasn't metal either. But read the topic title bettter "Favourite Hard Rock/Proto Metal release".

I did too - see my suggestions. Still "Hard Rock/Proto Metal " could mean a lot of things ... We'll see which reaction I get for teh first few ideas and then I'll rethink the question...