VARVAR

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

There is a band called VARVAR set to be playing a club in Moscow on November 13 along with some other bands. I know a person from one of the other bands and already asked him to talk to them and see if they are indeed the same band and hopefully get some more info.

I'm more interested to find out where this rumor of under 500 LP pressed originates. I do doubt it very much as of that time (mid-90s) even the small private Russian labels like SNC were releasing no less than 10,000 LP copies (they always did have the info on the back cover published), and Melodya itself hardly bothered pressing less than 100,000

P.S. reading the lyrics from the website I can tell that VARVAR apparently were/are Christian metal band, albet not a preaching one, but definitely white metal.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

I dont' think it's the same band !
There is a young new band with the same name ! Look here :
http://www.varvar-rockgroup.by.ru/band/band.html

This guys where born in1983 to 87 ! Only the drummer is older (1975).

Concerning the 500 copies of their LP i don't believe eighter !
I saw severel copies of it in 2000/01 and i payed 10 Euros for mine.
Others i saw where about 30. But i agree, that this must not say anything !
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Yeah, you are correct, this is definitely not the same VARVAR.

Regarding the LPs: I believe the pressing was definitely bigger, but it did not sell good/get proper distribution and the excess was either shunned into some forgotten warehouse, or simply destroyed. So all in all it is a very reare LP nowadays :lol:

I personally dont have it, but will ask these days some Russian friends to look for it.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Why not try someone to take the initiative and contact these guys maybe for an interview?
They have a website so they seem to be active.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

If you can find a copy or 2 let me know, I'm still searching for this. It is one of the few Russian lps I am still searching for, no dealer ever had it on a list that I saw.
stormspell wrote: Regarding the LPs: I believe the pressing was definitely bigger, but it did not sell good/get proper distribution and the excess was either shunned into some forgotten warehouse, or simply destroyed. So all in all it is a very reare LP nowadays :lol:
I personally dont have it, but will ask these days some Russian friends to look for it.
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Fucking Åmål wrote:Why not try someone to take the initiative and contact these guys maybe for an interview?
They have a website so they seem to be active.
There's no contact info on their website, I've tried searching in Russian for anything linked to the band, but nothing found. However I found some www with russian christian links which had the VARVAR website listed. That strange company mentioned in the end of the VARVAR site has more web-releases like Russian APOCALYPSIS. Anyway, I believe someone else put that VARVAR website up, let be with the band's consent. I doubt the band is still around... would be nice if I'm wrong.
Fun records
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

I got some other information about the edition of the "Zverinaja..." LP. A source in Russia has heard 5000 copies. He had also heard 666 copies, the latter he thought was less reliable.
Fun records
Astaroth

Post by Astaroth »

Still on the hunt for this LP goddammit!
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Astaroth wrote:Still on the hunt for this LP goddammit!
You're not alone :). This one has been my top priority for 5 years now.
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

I can't see no need someone to chase to hear VARVAR's album.

The VARVARY demo from 89 is a lot better,more traditional,better at every aspects.Hunt the VARVARY 80's demos and forget that 90's VARVAR. :)