Recent Metal Finds

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
naturom demonto

Re: Recent Metal Finds

Post by naturom demonto »

Live in Zbraslav is a cool listen but the horribly out of tune guitars ruin it a bit, shame. Finished however rules in hell, Nifelheim's Servants of Darkness has strong influence from it by the way, and it actually took me to realise that to truly get into the album. Became my favourite since then... There's also a neat Korrozia Metalla nod in there, but that's rather unsurprising given it's Nifelheim.
BTW the cult live Czech recording I'd kill for a vinyl release is Root's performance at Death Fire Explosion fest '90, "Pisen pro Satana" from that one... Uuurrrghhh!

And while it's great to have MH demos on vinyl with the best possible mastering, I must say I'm somewhat disappointed by the uniform layout of all records, it seems like a rushed job compared to Franta's old graphic solutions... The colouring of Finished and Jilemnicky okultista photos in particular looks very cheap filter-like or whatever.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Prowler wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:15 pm 400 for Hammeron is a great deal!
Why didn't you tell me you want those Master's Hammer LP's? Cheesus I can't believe it... :roll:
The live LP is awesome btw, the sound is fantastic. I'm not a fan of live LP's at all, but the sound is rather like a demo. Definitely better than the first 2 MH Demos. Real 90's Black Metal from early 1989!
I think the live one is interesting as a historical document, but musicwise "Finished" and "The Mass" are absolute pearls of this scene and also the recordings are the most unique compared to the "Ritual" album.
In a weird way the "Finished" LP was almost too good sounding compared to my old cassette... :|
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

naturom demonto wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:02 am Live in Zbraslav is a cool listen but the horribly out of tune guitars ruin it a bit, shame. Finished however rules in hell, Nifelheim's Servants of Darkness has strong influence from it by the way, and it actually took me to realise that to truly get into the album. Became my favourite since then... There's also a neat Korrozia Metalla nod in there, but that's rather unsurprising given it's Nifelheim.
BTW the cult live Czech recording I'd kill for a vinyl release is Root's performance at Death Fire Explosion fest '90, "Pisen pro Satana" from that one... Uuurrrghhh!

And while it's great to have MH demos on vinyl with the best possible mastering, I must say I'm somewhat disappointed by the uniform layout of all records, it seems like a rushed job compared to Franta's old graphic solutions... The colouring of Finished and Jilemnicky okultista photos in particular looks very cheap filter-like or whatever.
I hear you, but it's overall nice to have these recordings in a better and less fragile format than cassettes, so I'm not complaining. The interviews in the booklets were a really nice addition as well.
Funny you mentioned Nifelheim in this context. P&E introduced me to some amazing stuff like Root, Magnit, Sabbat (jpn) etc back in the day and I reciprocated w/ the early MH demos, Korrozia Metalla, Black Hole etc.. Fun Sundbyberg home party memories!
naturom demonto

Post by naturom demonto »

DaN wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:22 pm P&E introduced me to some amazing stuff like Root, Magnit, Sabbat (jpn) etc back in the day and I reciprocated w/ the early MH demos, Korrozia Metalla, Black Hole etc.. Fun Sundbyberg home party memories!
Interesting and cool to know! I even heard a story they had some stuff ready for Servants but went back and rewrote the songs when they heard MH demos!
And speaking of Nifelheim vs. Eastern Euro stuff, I always wondered if the melodic part in "Satanic Mass" was a tribute to Dr. Steel "Rodjen u tami", but that's maybe too far fetched given the Dr. Steel album still wasn't properly released then and it only existed on dubbed tapes. Or the James Bond lick in "The FInal Slaughter", that one just has to be a nod to Tudor "Girandola" hehe. "Evil is Eternal" is still the ultimate however! It's a shame their final album remains unreleased.