CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 15 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 15 Now Available!

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:15 pm 6. DOC HOLLIDAY - Southern Man

I can't believe this is from 1981. Amazing...

For the rest, I think it could only be said: Good Morning! Shall we find a corpse? Does it belong to you? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well done Nenad. When you say you can't believe it's from 1981, do you mean it sounds earlier? DH took quite a while to get signed after forming in the mid 70's, so the song might have been written long before it was recorded. That said, they kept the vintage Southern sound present & correct throughout their long career (apart from on the abysmal 'Modern Medicine' LP, an attempt at AOR made under record company pressure).
Is it time for me to reveal the remaining songs or do you want more time?

Update:

01. JOHNNY HAWKSWORTH - Have A Merry Quickstep (from the 'Glen Michael's Cartoon Cavalcade' TV OST (1966?))
02. BALTIK - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
06. DOC HOLLIDAY - Southern Man (from the 'Doc Holliday Rides Again' LP (1981))
07. STEVIE LANGE - Remember My Name (from the 'Remember My Name' 7" (1981))
08. THE SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES - Black Star (from the 'Extended Revelation (For The Psychic Weaklings Of Western Civilization)' LP (1998))
11. BIG STAR - Thirteen (from the '#1 Record' LP (1972)
12. THE HIVES - Die, All Right! (from the 'Veni, Vidi, Vicious' LP (2002))
13. Y & T - Dirty Girl (from the 'Earthshaker' LP (1981))
14. WAYNE ROBINSON - The Game (from the 'Division 4' TV OST (1975))
15. ZETA - Walking Down The Starway (from the 'Speleman' 7" (1978))
16. TKO - End Of The Line (from the 'In Your Face' LP (1984))
17. VOJD - To The Light (from the 'The Outer Ocean' LP (2018))
18. HELMET - See You Dead (from the 'Size Matters' LP (2004))
19. THE FLAMING SIDEBURNS - Save Rock 'n' Roll (from the 'Sky Pilots' LP (2003))
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:56 am
Noisenik wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:15 pm 6. DOC HOLLIDAY - Southern Man

I can't believe this is from 1981. Amazing...
Well done Nenad. When you say you can't believe it's from 1981, do you mean it sounds earlier?
It sounds more like 2001 to my ears, so I thought it is "a more recent" release, although frankly 2001 isn't really recent anymore, so... Is it a remastered version? Or is it cleaned so well? By whatever means...
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:58 pm It sounds more like 2001 to my ears, so I thought it is "a more recent" release, although frankly 2001 isn't really recent anymore, so... Is it a remastered version? Or is it cleaned so well? By whatever means...
I ripped it straight off my 1993 A.T.M. Records CD which doesn't mention remastering on the cover. From memory it sounds like the original vinyl did, just a very well produced major label record. I always thought the tonal/spacial separation of the guitars was beautifully balanced, sounds really good on headphones. Yee-haaaaw! :lol:
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Okay, it's high time i put you out of your misery, so here's the complete tracklisting for this episode.

01. JOHNNY HAWKSWORTH - Have A Merry Quickstep (from the 'Glen Michael's Cartoon Cavalcade' TV OST (1966?))
02. BALTIK - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
03. REMEDY - Prayer For The People (from the 'Walk By My Door' 7" (1974))
04. ROCKICKS - Reach For The Sky (from the 'Keep On Rockin'' 2-CD anthology (1976-1977))
05. HIGHWAY - My Love Is Burning (from the Karl Brun/Highway split 7" (1979))
06. DOC HOLLIDAY - Southern Man (from the 'Doc Holliday Rides Again' LP (1981))
07. STEVIE LANGE - Remember My Name (from the 'Remember My Name' 7" (1981))
08. THE SOUNDTRACK OF OUR LIVES - Black Star (from the 'Extended Revelation (For The Psychic Weaklings Of Western Civilization)' LP (1998))
09. X - Oxford Street Nick (from the 'At Home With You' LP (1985))
10. ROG & PIP - From A Window (from the 'From A Window' 7" (1971))
11. BIG STAR - Thirteen (from the '#1 Record' LP (1972)
12. THE HIVES - Die, All Right! (from the 'Veni, Vidi, Vicious' LP (2002))
13. Y & T - Dirty Girl (from the 'Earthshaker' LP (1981))
14. WAYNE ROBINSON - The Game (from the 'Division 4' TV OST (1975))
15. ZETA - Walking Down The Starway (from the 'Speleman' 7" (1978))
16. TKO - End Of The Line (from the 'In Your Face' LP (1984))
17. VOJD - To The Light (from the 'The Outer Ocean' LP (2018))
18. HELMET - See You Dead (from the 'Size Matters' LP (2004))
19. THE FLAMING SIDEBURNS - Save Rock 'n' Roll (from the 'Sky Pilots' LP (2003))

BTW, track 9 is the Australian band X, not the American group of the same name.
Thanks as always for the interest in & support for COTU, it's very much appreciated.
The next episode will appear on April 1st.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

ROG & PIP. Have that record, whew yeah tough one out of context. I only like part of the record and don't remember if that is 7" tracks anyway,
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:45 pm ROG & PIP. Have that record, whew yeah tough one out of context. I only like part of the record and don't remember if that is 7" tracks anyway,
For me both sides of the 7" are great whilst the rest of that compilation LP isn't for me either. If memory serves the other songs were recorded for a different project, so putting those tracks all together was a bit of a stretch.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:31 pm
doomedplanet wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:45 pm ROG & PIP. Have that record, whew yeah tough one out of context. I only like part of the record and don't remember if that is 7" tracks anyway,
For me both sides of the 7" are great whilst the rest of that compilation LP isn't for me either. If memory serves the other songs were recorded for a different project, so putting those tracks all together was a bit of a stretch.
I remember getting it discounted. Did research even then before buying and I think there were one or 2 other songs I like. Need to throw that lp on again and hear what it was again.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Another excellent cast, beatifully done as always. No way to identify 7' tracks, shame Khnud didn't participate. Rockicks or Rog & Pip sound great and are of course completely new to me.

Oh, and as is my wont, I fancy excerpts as well. Cheers!
I am ... the One you warned me of
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Sorry guys, I couldn't make it this time. And there's no way I'd be able to identify those 7" tracks anyway. :shock:

Nice episode, KIT!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:27 pm I remember getting it discounted. Did research even then before buying and I think there were one or 2 other songs I like. Need to throw that lp on again and hear what it was again.
That matches my recall of the Rog & Pip comp too, though i'm also overdue in reappraising it. I seem to remember some of the more overtly glam-tinged stuff really didn't endear itself to me.
Noisenik wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:28 pm Another excellent cast, beatifully done as always. No way to identify 7' tracks, shame Khnud didn't participate. Rockicks or Rog & Pip sound great and are of course completely new to me. Oh, and as is my wont, I fancy excerpts as well. Cheers!
Some Scandinavian assistance may well have helped as this episode featured many 'Heathens From The North' with Baltik, Highway, The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, The Hives, Zeta & VOJD all hailing from Sweden and The Flaming Sideburns being from Finland (albeit with an Argentine singer). Having said that 14 of the 19 songs got identified anyway which is very respectable indeed.
That Rockicks anthology is worth getting if the price is right as it includes a ton of bonus material which is easily as good as their lone LP, 'Inside', which is seldom the case with such releases.
PM imminent re the 'excerpts'. :wink: