STUDZ comic & “band”

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
alien laserblast

STUDZ comic & “band”

Post by alien laserblast »

Just started this goofball multi-media project...

Read:

& listen!
https://soundcloud.com/skullgrind/studz-stagefright
Lama

Re: STUDZ comic & “band”

Post by Lama »

Haha, funny stuff & groovy tune!
Kampel Destruction
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

Yes agreed. Nice job and I see you are a Washingtonian too!
alien laserblast

Thanks to both of you! Got 2 more songs recorded and the next strip will be out in January I believe. I’ll probably wait to release the tunes til I have at least 5.

And yes Martinsane, I’ve been based out of Olympia for about 15 years now, Seattle before that. Where are you?
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

alien laserblast wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:41 pm Thanks to both of you! Got 2 more songs recorded and the next strip will be out in January I believe. I’ll probably wait to release the tunes til I have at least 5.

And yes Martinsane, I’ve been based out of Olympia for about 15 years now, Seattle before that. Where are you?
Looking forward to whats next definitely.

As for me I am a Warshingtonian through and through.

Born and raised a bit north of Olympia in Auburn (smack dab in between Seattle and Tacoma) were I resided for 45 years. The past five I have been further south in Battle Ground. One exit north of Vancouver and about an hour south of you...

Nice to "meet" another local and it would be cool to keep up some banter and see what comes next.

Best,
Terry
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Really like the idea & the artwork in the comic strip is great, but the storyline could be stronger & funnier.
Likewise the accompanying lyrics & music, but i'm sure those elements will come together as the whole story/concept comes into better focus. Definitely an interesting idea with lots of promise.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
alien laserblast

martinsane wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:40 pm
alien laserblast wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:41 pm Thanks to both of you! Got 2 more songs recorded and the next strip will be out in January I believe. I’ll probably wait to release the tunes til I have at least 5.

Looking forward to whats next definitely.

As for me I am a Warshingtonian through and through.

Born and raised a bit north of Olympia in Auburn (smack dab in between Seattle and Tacoma) were I resided for 45 years. The past five I have been further south in Battle Ground. One exit north of Vancouver and about an hour south of you...

Nice to "meet" another local and it would be cool to keep up some banter and see what comes next.

Best,
Terry
Hey Terry, good to meet you too! Very familiar with battle ground, just a little bit further to paradise! (love that gas station.)

And thanks for your feedback, Bigfootkit! It's definitely a work-in-progress, attempting a fictional narrative informed heavily by personal experience and still keep it funny is a challenge!
alien laserblast

Kinda forgot I had posted this stuff here... So here's the second strip, finished last December. Got the 3rd worked out, but haven't gotten pen to page, slow mover over here!

Recorded a bunch more tunes tho, check out that junk here:
http://studz.bandcamp.com
martinsane

Post by martinsane »

He he another nice installment. Thanks for sharing it.

Very Trosley like in your drawing and content. Very much reminiscent of Cartoons magazine way back in the day.

Haven't spun the new tunes yet but will when time is more available. Speaking of which I see the bottom eludes to a demo? I wouldn't mind getting in on that...

Again nicely done.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Again, i'm really liking your artwork. Reminds me a lot of the style of ye olde 'underground comix' from the 60's & 70s.
Particularly of Ted Richards who was responsible for the likes of 'The 40 Year Old Hippie', 'Dopin' Dan', 'Mellow Cat' & 'EZ Wolf'.
A few examples in case you're unfamiliar with his work:

alien laserblast

Actually have a copy of CARtoons on top of the toilet right now, haha. Trosely rips. As does Ted Richards! Underground comix for sure are a huge influence. Some of my faves are Greg Irons, Jaxon, Dave Sheridan, Justin Green, Rand Holmes, etc etc etc... Thanks for checking it out you two!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

alien laserblast wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:25 pm Actually have a copy of CARtoons on top of the toilet right now, haha. Trosely rips. As does Ted Richards! Underground comix for sure are a huge influence. Some of my faves are Greg Irons, Jaxon, Dave Sheridan, Justin Green, Rand Holmes, etc etc etc... Thanks for checking it out you two!
Uncanny! That list of your UG favourites chimes very much with my own. Only Justin Green wouldn't have made my own top 10.
And there was me thinking that i was the only one still enjoying & appreciating the ole undergrounds, it's nice to be mistaken.
alien laserblast

Haha! Well truthfully my list also nearly resembles Patrick Rozenkranz’s biography titles! Discovered Crumb in my childhood library in the mid 90’s and my obsession has spiraled from there!

Green took me a while to warm up to and it wasn’t until I picked up his Sign Game collection that his stuff finally clicked with me. Now I consider him one of the greats!

Have you seen the Jim Osborne collection that Fantagraphics put out recently?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

alien laserblast wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:45 pm Haha! Well truthfully my list also nearly resembles Patrick Rozenkranz’s biography titles! Discovered Crumb in my childhood library in the mid 90’s and my obsession has spiraled from there!

Green took me a while to warm up to and it wasn’t until I picked up his Sign Game collection that his stuff finally clicked with me. Now I consider him one of the greats!

Have you seen the Jim Osborne collection that Fantagraphics put out recently?
In my case Gilbert Shelton was the 'gateway drug', R. Crumb & Larry Todd's Dr. Atomic came soon after. Corrupted me forever of course. :lol:
I do rate Justin Green as a storyteller, but his artwork just doesn't appeal to me as strongly as those others we mentioned.
Those Patrick Rozenkranz titles are great, but prohibitively expensive on this side of the pond. I've only been able to financially justify the incredible Rand Holmes book so far but i do hope to pick up some of the others. The Jim Osborne collection looks tempting, but the new Kim Dietch (a huge favourite of mine) is imminent & i've still to pick up the recent Jay Lynch anthology so they'll likely take precedent.