Why Don't I Like METAL CHURCH s/t More?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Noisenik

Re: Why Don't I Like METAL CHURCH s/t More?

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 am
doomedplanet wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:32 pm The recollections from the Melvins guy in those sleevenotes were hugely entertaining & quite possibly libellous to boot, thanks for posting that doomedplanet.
If only everyone who wrote CD liners was that unguarded/mischievous/vindictive. :twisted:
That was an interesting random discovery while I was researching something else. Even more random was this thread to share it in.
It's always nice when the stars align to hand you a little gift like that.
Rob, thanks for sharing it. I checked the rest of the linear notes as well. The most hillarious piece of writing I read in quite some time. This for example will stay with me forever: "it's not really rectum of the world, but it can be seen from there". :lol: Buzz Osborne is the man.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Well, Vanderhoof always seemed like kind of an asshole to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if everything there was true. The thing is that including all that in some liner notes for his own band makes the Melvins guy look like a complete douchebag as well.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Well, the writer may not be that, but comes pretty close. Perhaps his mind could not "compute" the fact that he got a lot of precious punk-related data from a punk-turned-metalhead, who had not appreciated that data anyway. This indicates ungratitude, but the person who was in position of giving, was more than ready to say, that all given was rubbish, so following reaction doesn't come to me as a surprise. With additional info that further blemished the position of "giver", the writer was even more eager to take "revenge", as Kit has pointed out. Writer admitted, however, having reputation of being foul-mouth and getting beaten every once in a while because of that. I remember an interview in a local music magazine from 1994 - yeah, that year - shocking remarks and complaints all-over and Deutrom wanted to fight with journalist bcs of "wrong" question (cannot remember what it was). But that reading again made me goggle-eyed. OK, at that time I had much less experience and knowledge of what tactics bands take to self-promote, etc. Still, for few yrs more I went around thinking how these Melvins guys are nuts and therefore actually cool, even if I never really got into their music.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I don't know, calling Vanderhoof out for his bullshit attitude towards him is one thing, and I appreciate when assholes like that get exposed, but that whole story about him hooking up with a teacher has nothing to do with it and makes the Melvins sound like a gossipy cunt with a grudge, which is kinda the opposite of cool to me. Sounds like one of those bitches in morning shows or something. I think that is much worse than anything he said Vanderhoof did and while I also always thought the Melvin guys were cool, this thing has changed my mind about that.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I'm not entitled to judge anyone's deeds or compare what's worse than something else, so I won't do either. I do enjoy certain ways of writing. I remember I even enjoyed Vanderhoof solo from the end of 90's early 00's (??). As for the MC debut, I haven't heard it in my formative HM years, I did that in the Corroseum yrs (I own black slab), and as I cannot go a quarter that deep as Alan went, so you'll have to satisfy yrslvs with shallow "I like it".
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 am
bigfootkit wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:06 am
doomedplanet wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:39 pm
That was an interesting random discovery while I was researching something else. Even more random was this thread to share it in.
It's always nice when the stars align to hand you a little gift like that.
Rob, thanks for sharing it. I checked the rest of the linear notes as well. The most hillarious piece of writing I read in quite some time.
I did exactly the same & heartily agree with you Noisenik, a thoroughly absorbing & very entertaining slice of life.
Whether or not you like what he had to say, the guy can write.
He may have taken it way too far at points as Cochino pointed out, (there was definitely a bitchy score-settling edge to much of the Vanderhoof recollections), but in these social media times where everyone speaks in such a bland & guarded fashion i found his unvarnished take on events truly refreshing.
We've become so used to hearing everyone speak like PR scripted politicians that it was a breath of fresh air to find a 'degenerate rock 'n' roller' talking like one. Not a 'role model' or an 'inspiration', but a co-conspirator or a friend.
It's high time musicians got back to the business of being 'the people your parents warned you about'.
:lol:
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I'm absolutely 100% on board on being honest and exposing the hypocrisy and overall assholeness (is that even a real word?) of someone, but when it turned into spreading private details on his personal life I just thought the one being exposed as the biggest hypocritical asshole was the guy writing it. It still makes it way more interesting than the usual liner notes, where everything is amazing and you can't even tell if it was really written by the guy who signed it or somebody in charge of PR, that's for sure.
Mythiis

Post by Mythiis »

I don't get that album either. So... Shoot me. Haha
I summoned up the living dead, and demons in the skies.
I drank from chalice warm and red, and watched the virgin die.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I fully acknowledge, endorse, and embrace my being weird :-) Yeah, I know I'm very out of step with most of the community on this one. What can I say? No one loves 'em all.

For the record I do like Wayne's vocals a lot more on 'The Dark'. He didn't change styles, but for whatever reason his singing doesn't irritate me on TD the way it kinda-sorta does on the s/t
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Cochino wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:32 am I'm absolutely 100% on board on being honest and exposing the hypocrisy and overall assholeness (is that even a real word?) of someone, but when it turned into spreading private details on his personal life I just thought the one being exposed as the biggest hypocritical asshole was the guy writing it. It still makes it way more interesting than the usual liner notes, where everything is amazing and you can't even tell if it was really written by the guy who signed it or somebody in charge of PR, that's for sure.
I would absolutely agree if he'd outed Vanderhoof whilst he was still in the closet, but that ship sailed long ago, (pardon the mixed metaphors), and it seemed like he offered the 'revelation' about his relationship with the teacher in order to illustrate just how foolish Kurt was in returning to the far less tolerant Pacific North West from freewheeling gay-friendly SF in order to pursue that relationship.
If you read the whole piece he doesn't paint himself or his bandmates in the most flattering of ways either, and is disarmingly honest about their stupid drunken teenage behaviour. Amusingly, he admits he can barely recall any details of the recording of those songs, yet somehow he still managed to perfectly channel his eighteen year old self and vividly recreate the world that he & his friends once inhabited.
Of course, there's definitely an element of him sticking the boot in too which is pretty distasteful & immature, but he was so utterly unrepentant in his bridge-burning diatribe that i just couldn't bring myself to dislike him for it.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
anthares

Post by anthares »

Cyrcka wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:19 pm Masterpeace!!!!
Amazing album as well!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Listening to this lp now, first time in this decade easily. Blowing me away. It reminds me of why I fell in love with metal in the first place.