Weird Finds While Cleaning Out Your Collection

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Zanker

Re: Weird Finds While Cleaning Out Your Collection

Post by Zanker »

nightsblood wrote:So, did all copies of the Praying Mantis 7" come with an iron-on patch inside the pic sleeve? Why didn't I remember having one inside the pic sleeve?

Angel Witch released a live disc from '82 with an unreleased EP tacked on at the end. Huh. Nifty.

Skatenigs....... WOW, now THIS took a moment to register. Hard band to describe, sort of a joke band mixing bad 90s metal trappings, such as sampling and rapping, with ridiculous OTT lyrics. Maybe like BUTT TRUMPET if they were a Crossover Thrash band? If anyone remembers BUTT TRUMPET, I'm both impressed and feel sorry for you :)
Anyway, Skatenigs' 'Stupid People Shouldn't Breed' is a great album title, and tracks like 'Horny for Evil' are still good, friendly, braindead fun to play extremely loudly when you want to feel like a 14-year old prat all over again. If this had come out a bit later, when nu metal was all the rage, these guys might have been a thing, though I'm not sure any of their songs could ever have been played on the air.
Haha...yes Skatenigs. I bought this one too when it came out. I bought it because of the link with Ministry if i'm not mistaken. Must say that i enjoyed it back in the day. Not sure I will now. I'll have to listen to it again.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

This thread has actually inspired me to do small inventory check but not for sake of clean anything let alone sell it and I found out I have a copy of Ultra Metal compi. I don't remember buying it or whatever. I also completely forgot I bought recent US Metal releases from Trauma and Ruthless. Was quite surprised to see them there on the shelf.

Skatenigs: I remember when debut came out they were hailed as ultimate crossover stuff. Industrialthrashcorefunkmetaltechno whatnot, or so went the initial description in one of the more important national music magazines. However, mag didn't mention they were related to Revolting Cocks, which were quite hyped around the same time. Of corpse, later came bands that have mix even more different ingredients into their ideal recipes, Waltari being one of them. 1992 - nice year overall.
Last edited by Noisenik on Tue May 22, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Noisenik wrote:This thread has actually inspired me to do small inventory check but not for sake of clean anything let alone sell it and I found out I have a copy of Ultra Metal compi. I don't remember buying it or whatever. I also completely forgot I bought recent US Metal releases from Trauma and Ruthless. Was quite surprised to see them there on the shelf.

Skatenigs: I remember when debut came out they were hailed as ultimate crossover stuff. Industrialthrashcorefunkmetaltechno whatnot, or so went the initial description in one of the more important national music magazines. However, mag ddidn't mentioned they were related to Revolting Cocks, which were quite hyped around the same time. Of corpse, later came bands that have mix even more different ingredients into their ideal recipes, Waltari being one of them. 1992 - nice year overall.
Yes, indeed there was a relation too with Revolting Cocks. I think the singer was involved with Skatenigs.
Around the same time i also enjoyed INFECTIOUS GROOVES a lot with Mike Muir. I only have their first two records. That's enough for me. Should check them out again someday and check if i enjoy them as much as back then.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Ya know that, Zanker, that I liked them, too. I highly regarded Rob's playing. Should still do. Haven't listen to them for eternity. I know first three albums. The fourth I missed completely.
Zanker wrote: Yes, indeed there was a relation too with Revolting Cocks. I think the singer was involved with Skatenigs.
Around the same time i also enjoyed INFECTIOUS GROOVES a lot with Mike Muir. I only have their first two records. That's enough for me. Should check them out again someday and check if i enjoy them as much as back then.
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Noisenik wrote:Ya know that, Zanker, that I liked them, too. I highly regarded Rob's playing. Should still do. Haven't listen to them for eternity. I know first three albums. The fourth I missed completely.
Zanker wrote: Yes, indeed there was a relation too with Revolting Cocks. I think the singer was involved with Skatenigs.
Just checked my CD collection and guess what...i have the first three on CD aswell. Didn't even knew that i had the third one aswell. Thanks to threads like this, one dives in the collection again :?
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Ugh Infectious Grooves - part of that that whole godawful "Funk Metal" trend that seemed to come off the back of the success of slap-happy garbage like early Faith No More, Extreme & RHCP(who for some bizarre reason received heavy coverage in the "Metal" press at the time) and peaked for about 6 months in 90-91 before being stopped dead in it's tracks by grunge... :lol:
malegys

Post by malegys »

wicked keeper wrote:Ugh Infectious Grooves - part of that that whole godawful "Funk Metal" trend that seemed to come off the back of the success of slap-happy garbage like early Faith No More, Extreme & RHCP(who for some bizarre reason received heavy coverage in the "Metal" press at the time) and peaked for about 6 months in 90-91 before being stopped dead in it's tracks by grunge... :lol:
& Funk metal gave birth to Nu Metal as well ....fuck the 90s.
"Do you like Wenom?"
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

malegys wrote:
wicked keeper wrote:Ugh Infectious Grooves - part of that that whole godawful "Funk Metal" trend that seemed to come off the back of the success of slap-happy garbage like early Faith No More, Extreme & RHCP(who for some bizarre reason received heavy coverage in the "Metal" press at the time) and peaked for about 6 months in 90-91 before being stopped dead in it's tracks by grunge... :lol:
& Funk metal gave birth to Nu Metal as well ....fuck the 90s.
haha..true! But looks like in the early nineties I was wandering around and after a decade of heavy metal I was "open" as it seems for other musical tastes...i even enjoyed CARTER USM first two albums (blasphemy on this site, i know). But we're off topic for sure and this would be more suitable in the non-metal thread. Luckily i got back on track in the early 2000's and digged deep for 80's metal again.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Zanker wrote:But looks like in the early nineties I was wandering around and after a decade of heavy metal I was "open" as it seems for other musical tastes...
I found myself in much the same place as you Zanker. Exploring other styles in search of those musical thrills that seemed to be in short supply in the Metal world at the time. Am i the only forum member who didn't hate so-called 'grunge'?
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote:
Zanker wrote:But looks like in the early nineties I was wandering around and after a decade of heavy metal I was "open" as it seems for other musical tastes...
I found myself in much the same place as you Zanker. Exploring other styles in search of those musical thrills that seemed to be in short supply in the Metal world at the time. Am i the only forum member who didn't hate so-called 'grunge'?
I grew up with grunge. "Superunknown" might be the best album ever to come out of the 90's. And grunge deserves a reward for killing the glam metal wave of the late 80's.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Khnud wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:
I grew up with grunge. "Superunknown" might be the best album ever to come out of the 90's. And grunge deserves a reward for killing the glam metal wave of the late 80's.
Well I never did like grunge really. I never got into PEARL JAM, SOUNDGARDEN, G'NR, NIRVANA and the likes. Most of my friends back then leant more towards them. I went more in the direction of NOMEANSNO, PRONG, HEAD OF DAVID, CONSOLIDATED, GOD BULLIES. Maybe the closest to grunge I got was 7 YEAR BITCH and BABES IN TOYLAND but when i listen to these latter, it doesn't do anything anymore.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I remember liking the Black Hole Sun video when I was like 6 or something, and I got into White Zombie, NIN and stuff like that when I was about 10/11 but Grunge always got past me. I didn't get into it back then and I can't get into it now. I still find it hard to understand what so many metal fans see in Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, it just sounds like boring mainstream stuff to me, even at their heaviest/darkest.
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Khnud wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:

I'll take Glam Metal over grunge every day of the week....Dokken's worst >>>>>>Soundgarden's best...hell I'd rather listen to Tuff & Trixter than anything from that scene.... :lol:
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Always thought it was odd to mention Nirvana & Pearl Jam in the same breath on the basis of them both being from the state of Washington. The former's for pogoing & the latter's more right-on hard rock. I prefer the former.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I really liked Soundgarden, a few tracks from AIC (their most succeeding track is only found on one compi :-?), some Afghan Whigs, one track from Fluid ... Oh, and Tad and Melvins. Nirvana: the earlier, the better.