80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
humus

Re: 80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Post by humus »

First page done. Bear in mind that I'm translating from my third language into my second language, and I'm not a professional translator...

The musicians in Hell are very lucky not to have been born a few centuries earlier in a village like Salem or Providence: they would have ended their carreer on the firewood for sure! Although that doesn’t seem so far-fetched if we may believe certain articles –published in English newspapers like Evening post or Recorder – that report complaints from parents scared by the “obscene and blasphemous” mentality portrayed by the members of the band… it is true that they don’t beat around the bush because they assure us that “the devil is alive again thanks to our new album!!!” [not quite sure if I got this right because the standard expression is ‘ne pas aller par 4 chemins’ and not ‘7 chemins’]
STEELSHOCK, big lover of all things sulpherous, hastly contacted this disturbing four-piece to shed some light in the darkness.
HELL was created in the second half of 1981 by Dave G. HALLIDAY (vocals/guitar – ex-RACE AGAINST TIME), Kev BOWER (guitar/synth – ex-PARALEX), Tony SPEAKMAN (bass – ex-TOKYO ROSE and PARALEX) and Tim BOWLER (drums –ex-OVERDRIVE), all coming from the Midlands.
The first year was used to write a “demonical” repertoire which builds upon a spectacular liveshow (chaotic is the correct word) which, so it seems, hypnotizes the poor spectators/victims on the spot (Dave G appears dressed as a reverend and has a bible explode). All that being perfectionized, HELL rapidly became a cult groupe with increasing reputation, an impressive following and, outgrown the stadium of local gigs, opening up for URIAH HEEP, BUDGIE, MAMA’S BOY, LIMELIGHT, TOBRUK and WITCHFYNDE. After that they recorded their first single (“DEATH SQUAD”, “SAVE US FROM THOSE WHO WOULD SAVE US” – named after the earworm-chorus, as you can imagine!) in 83 on their own DEADLY WEAPON label (D. JOHNSTON from EBONY doing production). The disc makes radio appearings on RADIO ONE as well as on many independent UK stations and even generates interest from MAUSOLEUM, EBONY and PINNACLE. Interest well deserved and easily explained by the unique sound of HELL.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Fantastic! Should you find the time to do the other pages as well, I will put this up at the bottom of the Steel Shock-page, laid out w/ pictures and all.

This gave me an idea: If anyone else wants to translate other interviews and articles from non-English zines, I will put them on the site, with the proper pictures, art and of course credits 8)
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote:Fantastic! Should you find the time to do the other pages as well, I will put this up at the bottom of the Steel Shock-page, laid out w/ pictures and all.
Agree! Online translation app wouldn't be as good as this, although you should perhaps find best possible one, as you easily brought too much material to be translated. :wink:
I am ... the One you warned me of
humus

Post by humus »

I'd love to do it but I simply don't have the time at the moment. I'll make sure to translate the rest of the Hell interview though.

Dan, any Metalian (BE - editor 'Metal biest') zines in your stash?
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

humus wrote: Dan, any Metalian (BE - editor 'Metal biest') zines in your stash?
METALLIAN

2 L's

I think the Metal Beast dude was mostly responsable for the Layout of the Zine...

----------- | -------------| -----------

Thanks Dan !

Loved the Demos reviews section on the Blackthorn - I'm always looking for extra infos about demos
Also it was a new thing for me the brasilian Metal Command.
Only was aware of the portuguese and the argentinian.
Had already the Heavy Metal Demons and the Hard 'n' Heavy.

Great work !
Knowledge Is Power
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

humus wrote:I'd love to do it but I simply don't have the time at the moment. I'll make sure to translate the rest of the Hell interview though.

Dan, any Metalian (BE - editor 'Metal biest') zines in your stash?
Yeah, issues 1-4. #3 is already featured in the archive but I'll make sure the other 3 are part of the next update.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I offer myself to translate any Spanish language 'zines/interviews, if needed.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cochino wrote:I offer myself to translate any Spanish language 'zines/interviews, if needed.
Cool! Funny, I noticed there are no zines in Spanish featured yet, but how's your portugese?
...and a very late 'Welcome Back!' my friend :)
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

DaN wrote:
Cochino wrote:I offer myself to translate any Spanish language 'zines/interviews, if needed.
Cool! Funny, I noticed there are no zines in Spanish featured yet, but how's your portugese?
...and a very late 'Welcome Back!' my friend :)
I don't know jack shit about Portuguese. As similar as it might seem to outsiders, they're actually really different languages to the point where I might even understand a bit more Italian than Portuguese.
And you're welcome. It's great to see you've actually injected new life into the site. I've been catching up with all the updates you've been doing lately and it's actually what brought me to come back to the boards as well.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Glad to hear the site-updates have that effect, it's something I've been hoping for...
Btw, I did get a few Argentinian zines in this batch, and next year I might get all of them. They'll all be added in due time of course.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Isn't it ironic most of these interviews were probably done in English, translated to whatever language the zine was issued in, and are now being retro-translated back into English?
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Is it correct what Cochino stated.

Normally spanish spoken countries have more difficulties with understanding the portuguese, than us portuguese, to understand the spanish.

My english isn't perfect enough to do translations from the portuguese (actually from the brasilian - Rock Brigades) to english....
Knowledge Is Power
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

rumblefist wrote:Is it correct what Cochino stated.

Normally spanish spoken countries have more difficulties with understanding the portuguese, than us portuguese, to understand the spanish.

My english isn't perfect enough to do translations from the portuguese (actually from the brasilian - Rock Brigades) to english....
Yeah, I guess it's mostly due to there being lots of countries speaking Spanish so it's more usual for you to encounter Spanish texts, or to travel to Spanish speaking countries and such than the other way around. And that's another thing, if I'm familiar with any form of Portuguese, it's Brazilian Portuguese, which I bet is quite different from the European version, considering how different alll the variations of Spanish are amongst themselves (and English people will surely have a similar experience with all the different spoken English all over the world).
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Normally spanish have lesser abilities in speaking other languages besides their own. Even if i admit that in latest years i have chatted with several spanish people with very good english. Anyways 2 years ago i went to Madrid for Dark Quarterer and Ironsword
and all i had to do was to speak spanish or we would be mute all time.
Same happened here on the surroundings of Lisbon for Midnight Priest, Ravensire, Wolf And Enforcer - there they were 2 or 3 spanish fans and we had to use the spanish. Then we started having fun.
Normally spanish fans get these type of susprises on how good knowledge we have on their old 80's scene when they know nothing on ours (which isn't a surprise - as we had just a few good bands mostly on tape)

I guess it's also a cultural thing - they don't like to use other languages.

I'm most sure we the portuguese (but also the brasilians for what i know) we addapt to use other languages more faster. Maybe it's just natural. Who knows ?
Knowledge Is Power
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

rumblefist wrote:Normally spanish have lesser abilities in speaking other languages besides their own. Even if i admit that in latest years i have chatted with several spanish people with very good english. Anyways 2 years ago i went to Madrid for Dark Quarterer and Ironsword
and all i had to do was to speak spanish or we would be mute all time.
Same happened here on the surroundings of Lisbon for Midnight Priest, Ravensire, Wolf And Enforcer - there they were 2 or 3 spanish fans and we had to use the spanish. Then we started having fun.
Normally spanish fans get these type of susprises on how good knowledge we have on their old 80's scene when they know nothing on ours (which isn't a surprise - as we had just a few good bands mostly on tape)

I guess it's also a cultural thing - they don't like to use other languages.

I'm most sure we the portuguese (but also the brasilians for what i know) we addapt to use other languages more faster. Maybe it's just natural. Who knows ?
It's much simpler than that. It's about how much you need another language to communicate. Since there's so many countries all over the world that speak Spanish, it's more likely that you're gonna need it at some point, when it's just not that common to come across Portuguese. I mean, I've met several Spanish speaking people very proficient in English, Italian, French and other languages. However, how many native English speaking people who speak other languages besides their own do you know? In my experience, only those who were brought up in bilingual homes. The reason for that is very simple, they just don't need it the same way other people need to learn English in order to be able to access information or communicate with people they want to.
There is no possible way to make a blanket statement about "Spanish speaking people" because there's millions of them, from different backgrounds and from all over the world. Those people you've met are people from Spain, and they're probably as foreign and different from me as you, coming from Portugal. My thing with Portuguese is that I live too far away from Brazil to have a direct contact with the language, but I bet that in the border zone, you'll have lots of Spanish people very well versed in Portuguese and vice versa, because they need to.