Desolation Angels

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Ryacus wrote:
ErzbischofAbdullah wrote:
DaN wrote:
I guess I'm the only one in the world who find DESOLATION ANGELS just a tiny bit overrated?
I totally agree with Dan. Can't understand the fuss either. DA is plain rumble metal, just check out that ramshackle drum work for instance. Anyway, I dropped the Miskatonic Foundation an e-mail concerning the upcoming DA release months ago, and on July 17, Rick replied: "OK, got that, should be going to press in around 14-20 days time finally....". Something's seeming to go quite awry here...
What the fuck is rumble metal?
Good question indeed. I also want to ask how that description fits with DA's music. :?:
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

DaN wrote:
Ryacus wrote: What the fuck is rumble metal?
Ebony?
Ebony records? Desolation Angels were better than most bands that were on ebony records, the best being cobra and blood money and I would only compare them in terms of sound to Tyga Myra.
Messerschmitt

Post by Messerschmitt »

OK, rumble metal...well, I just translated the German technical term "Rumpelmetal" into English. To no avail, it seems :cry:. I just wanted to point out that DA's music comes across quite amateurish for my taste. Get the point?
Reality is that which, once you stop believing in it, doesn't go away
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Ryacus wrote:
DaN wrote:
Ryacus wrote: What the fuck is rumble metal?
Ebony?
Ebony records? Desolation Angels were better than most bands that were on ebony records, the best being cobra and blood money and I would only compare them in terms of sound to Tyga Myra.
I think you completely forgot SAVAGE and CHATEAUX !
LET IT LOOSE is one of the 10 best british metal records ever !
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

tbieri wrote:
Ryacus wrote:
DaN wrote: Ebony?
I think you completely forgot SAVAGE and CHATEAUX !
LET IT LOOSE is one of the 10 best british metal records ever !
I don't like either of those bands.
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

ErzbischofAbdullah wrote:OK, rumble metal...well, I just translated the German technical term "Rumpelmetal" into English. To no avail, it seems :cry:. I just wanted to point out that DA's music comes across quite amateurish for my taste. Get the point?
They sound no more amature than any other nwobhm bands.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I have heard only one song from Desolation Angels i think it was Death Machine or something like that and it was superb, is the LP like this track excellent :?:
Messerschmitt

Post by Messerschmitt »

Ryacus wrote:
ErzbischofAbdullah wrote:OK, rumble metal...well, I just translated the German technical term "Rumpelmetal" into English. To no avail, it seems :cry:. I just wanted to point out that DA's music comes across quite amateurish for my taste. Get the point?
Well, Sir, I beg to differ! I can tell technically-not-so-adept music if it comes to my attention. DA certainly ranked among the lower third of all bands in question. That's why I think they "rumble"...
Reality is that which, once you stop believing in it, doesn't go away
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Ryacus wrote:
If a track like "Spirit of the deep" sounds amateurish, then i officialy declare that amateur bands in metal is my absolute fetish and consequently all those so called "professional", larger-than-life bands suck. Who the hell needs professionalism when amateurism sounds so fuckin' divine anyway? There are really so many TONS of useless and lame bands in this genre (especially in the 7'' phase) that claiming that DA are amateurs sounds more like a bad joke, at least to me.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Ryacus wrote:
If a track like "Spirit of the deep" sounds amateurish, then i officialy declare that amateur bands in metal is my absolute fetish and consequently all those so called "professional", larger-than-life bands suck. Who the hell needs professionalism when amateurism sounds so fuckin' divine anyway? There are really so many TONS of useless and lame bands in this genre (especially in the 7'' phase) that claiming that DA are amateurs sounds more like a bad joke, at least to me.
I don't know if that was directed at me or erzbischofabdullah but what I was getting at is I never considered DA to be amature compared to any other nwobhm bands.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Ryacus wrote:I don't know if that was directed at me or erzbischofabdullah but what I was getting at is I never considered DA to be amature compared to any other nwobhm bands, the self titled LP does have poor production but I don't think that warrants accusations of poor musicianship.
No Ryacus, it certainly wasn't directed at you, i got your point before and i believe that we agree. I just said my opinion on the matter of amaterurism of DA.

Noisenik

Re: Desolation Angels

Post by Noisenik »

Digging through the Corro-vaults, I couldn't resist: How do fare DESOLATION ANGELS on your playlists these days, that is, 11 years later?
I am ... the One you warned me of
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

It's been a while, can't deny that.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Back in the day I LOVED their LP. I couldn't afford it, so I asked my folks to order me a copy for Christmas one year off the sale list of an old vinyl dealer from NY named Al Spremo. It was a mainstay in rotation on my turntable for years. Ended up with a second copy years later that I was able to trade into some NWOBHM singles I really wanted. And when I moved to Texas, I found a store with a bunch of old cassettes of their later/demo material. That's right, 'English Bastards' and the like just sitting there for $3 a pop, right next to old Heathens Rage demos (oh, but that's a story for another thread- I'm such a tease!). The only downside is that I really did not care for their 'American' material; I found it really lifeless compared to the killer debut album. As such I never had much interest in the box set.

That said, I haven't played the album in for-fucking-ever. Sad but true. I never stopped liking it, it just got buried in time (and dust- ha!). When I first got that album, I probably had roughly 200-300 metal titles. Today I've got around 4,000, and that doesn't count the 1,000+ I've gotten rid of over the years. With that kind of volume, even the old favorites sometimes fall by the wayside.

But I've been digging out some of those old favorites as of late and taking them for a spin, everything from 'Epicus Doomicus Metalius' and 'Peace Sells' to 'Babylon A.D.' and 'Blood on the Bricks' (fuck you, don't judge me- Derek Davis had a killer vocal delivery, and that Aldo Nova record should've been bigger than 'Slippery When Wet' and 'Long Cold Winter' combined!). So maybe 'Desolation Angels' is due up for a revisit.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Dirty Rocker

Post by Dirty Rocker »

nightsblood wrote:Back in the day I LOVED their LP. I couldn't afford it, so I asked my folks to order me a copy for Christmas one year off the sale list of an old vinyl dealer from NY named Al Spremo. It was a mainstay in rotation on my turntable for years. Ended up with a second copy years later that I was able to trade into some NWOBHM singles I really wanted. And when I moved to Texas, I found a store with a bunch of old cassettes of their later/demo material. That's right, 'English Bastards' and the like just sitting there for $3 a pop, right next to old Heathens Rage demos (oh, but that's a story for another thread- I'm such a tease!). The only downside is that I really did not care for their 'American' material; I found it really lifeless compared to the killer debut album. As such I never had much interest in the box set.

That said, I haven't played the album in for-fucking-ever. Sad but true. I never stopped liking it, it just got buried in time (and dust- ha!). When I first got that album, I probably had roughly 200-300 metal titles. Today I've got around 4,000, and that doesn't count the 1,000+ I've gotten rid of over the years. With that kind of volume, even the old favorites sometimes fall by the wayside.

But I've been digging out some of those old favorites as of late and taking them for a spin, everything from 'Epicus Doomicus Metalius' and 'Peace Sells' to 'Babylon A.D.' and 'Blood on the Bricks' (fuck you, don't judge me- Derek Davis had a killer vocal delivery, and that Aldo Nova record should've been bigger than 'Slippery When Wet' and 'Long Cold Winter' combined!). So maybe 'Desolation Angels' is due up for a revisit.
Now I wanna hear about that heathens rage story, Alan. ;)

About desolation angels, I recently got the LP a few months ago and didn’t have time to listen to it until a few days ago. I have to say it’s not that great of a record in my opinion. A couple really cool songs but overall kinda tired sounding and not as exciting as I remembered it to be. :(
THE DAWN OF THE MEGA-METAL