"DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Yronbeast86

Re: "DemoLition" - forthcoming book on 80's demos

Post by Yronbeast86 »

I'm looking forward to this getting released.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Sums it up perfectly
DESECRATOR777 wrote:dont bother giving any thought to helping this voyeur. conceal your information. end of story.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Good luck. Especially if the guy attempting this project is not open to others contributing.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Plantweed

Post by Plantweed »

DESECRATOR777 wrote:dont bother giving any thought to helping this voyeur. conceal your information. end of story.
"Voyeur," interesting term. Care to elaborate?
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Didn't know you were here too, Mr. Plantweed. Good luck with your project!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Plantweed

Post by Plantweed »

Thanks, bud. Nine years of daily work. Heavy shit takes longer.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Plantweed wrote:Thanks, bud. Nine years of daily work. Heavy shit takes longer.
Where would you say you are currently at in this project time line wise?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Plantweed

Post by Plantweed »

About 3/4 of the hard, fact-finding research is done: raw data, like release dates, song titles, etc. I still have several hundred zines to go through and cherry-pick for info and critical perspective. Then it’s on to confirming data with band members, and the big one: writing reviews. I’ve done a few hundred, but right now, the demo count is over 13,000, and I have access to about half of those for review. I can do a few a day. We’re hoping for another two years or so, then on to production.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

So, you're missing still 1/4 ?

In that 1/4 you're surely missing almost 1000 NWOBHM and 80's british metal demos + 1000 russian metal demos + 1000 polish/czech/hungarian and other eastern europe countries demos + 500 japanese metal demos + almost 1000 brasilian, mexican, argentinian bolivian and all the other south american demos (i'm sure i'm forgetting other scenes here)....

what about the almost 1000 european demos you're still missing ?
and the 1000 (perhaps even more) US demos ?

Line-ups for all these things ????

Do you trust in Metal Archives data ????????????????????

Many many many metal demos were never accepted because there isn't a cover or a complete line-up or a band picture or for not being "enough metal" for the site........................................

And what about those which are too obscure even for a normal metal head to have it (doesn't matter the form - analog or digital) and submit it to the site ?????

Also - there are plenty of mistakes on M.A. on the years of releases, line-ups etc.

Do you wish to do a book so much incomplete or with so many mistakes ?
Knowledge Is Power
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

rumblefist wrote:So, you're missing still 1/4 ?

In that 1/4 you're surely missing almost 1000 NWOBHM and 80's british metal demos + 1000 russian metal demos + 1000 polish/czech/hungarian and other eastern europe countries demos + 500 japanese metal demos + almost 1000 brasilian, mexican, argentinian bolivian and all the other south american demos (i'm sure i'm forgetting other scenes here)....

Many many many metal demos were never accepted because there isn't a cover or a complete line-up or a band picture or for not being "enough metal" for the site........................................

And what about those which are too obscure even for a normal metal head to have it (doesn't matter the form - analog or digital) and submit it to the site ?????

Also - there are plenty of mistakes on M.A. on the years of releases, line-ups etc.

Well to be honest...a book with a little more than 13.000 demo's is still a sure buy for me. Even when it's missing 1000's other demo's. It will never be complete as we all know. But in those 13.000 already in the "book" there will be at least thousands i never heard of so it will be a great read. Especially if it has scans of covers (yes, many were issued without cover) it will be great just to look at it. I just wonder how big that book will be with 13.000 demo's with scans, line-ups, songtitels...
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Zanker wrote:
rumblefist wrote:So, you're missing still 1/4 ?

Well to be honest...a book with a little more than 13.000 demo's is still a sure buy for me. Even when it's missing 1000's other demo's. It will never be complete as we all know. But in those 13.000 already in the "book" there will be at least thousands i never heard of so it will be a great read. Especially if it has scans of covers (yes, many were issued without cover) it will be great just to look at it. I just wonder how big that book will be with 13.000 demo's with scans, line-ups, songtitels...
Scans and line-ups for all the 13000 demos he has ?
Don't make me laugh. Far......

This just means i'm more demanding with what i'm looking for and that most likely i understand much more about demo tapes than you. That's why you're dying with interest and me - no.

But i'm not disencouraging Plantweed.

What he's doing it's of obvious interest for some people.
Knowledge Is Power
Plantweed

Post by Plantweed »

Hi rumblefist,

Well, while I’ve never described or titled this book as “complete” (no honest or sane person would), you don’t know what I’m missing so that’s a rather large assumption, and I’m a bit confused by your somewhat confrontational tone. While MA can be a helpful resource, it’s simply a bare-bones database with huge holes in its ’80s coverage, and is not my primary source. It would be easy to simply plug in an advanced search in MA and print out there results like a phone directory. DemoLition is not that. My primary sources are zines (I have hundreds and hundreds of them), other traders, and the bands themselves; first person whenever possible. Also, my criterion for inclusion tends to be more generous than MA, delving into the spectrums of hard rock, crossover, metallic d-beat, early grindcore, metal-related noise/“fun” bands, and other tangents that metal zines covered and reviewed, even Christian metal and glam/sleaze, which were often operating separately from the thrash/speed/death underground. For example, I think I can state with confidence that the NWOBHM treatment is more thorough than MA. Naturally, the Second and Third World coverage is going to be spottier due to linguistic barriers and the relative obscurity of those scenes, which tended to evolve more in their own ecosystems, but rest assured I’m personally fond of bands from Eastern Europe and Latin American, so I’m doing all I can to root out every group from those locations, along with Asia and Africa.

The main reason this project has taken so long is my dedication to comprehension and accuracy. It simply has to be the best book it can be. So, while not everyone will ultimately be satisfied, I’ll know, as someone who has been buying metal records since 1981, and trading tapes since 1985, I’ll have done the project right. Also, as one who has made a living as a graphic designer for 25+ years, the book will have a killer look and feel, loaded with logos, covers, band photos, and vintage imagery. I’ve got lots of ideas.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Double post - sorry.
Last edited by rumblefist on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge Is Power
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Plantweed wrote:Hi rumblefist,

Well, while I’ve never described or titled this book as “complete” (no honest or sane person would), you don’t know what I’m missing so that’s a rather large assumption, and I’m a bit confused by your somewhat confrontational tone. While MA can be a helpful resource, it’s simply a bare-bones database with huge holes in its ’80s coverage, and is not my primary source. It would be easy to simply plug in an advanced search in MA and print out there results like a phone directory. DemoLition is not that. My primary sources are zines (I have hundreds and hundreds of them), other traders, and the bands themselves; first person whenever possible. Also, my criterion for inclusion tends to be more generous than MA, delving into the spectrums of hard rock, crossover, metallic d-beat, early grindcore, metal-related noise/“fun” bands, and other tangents that metal zines covered and reviewed, even Christian metal and glam/sleaze, which were often operating separately from the thrash/speed/death underground. For example, I think I can state with confidence that the NWOBHM treatment is more thorough than MA. Naturally, the Second and Third World coverage is going to be spottier due to linguistic barriers and the relative obscurity of those scenes, which tended to evolve more in their own ecosystems, but rest assured I’m personally fond of bands from Eastern Europe and Latin American, so I’m doing all I can to root out every group from those locations, along with Asia and Africa.

The main reason this project has taken so long is my dedication to comprehension and accuracy. It simply has to be the best book it can be. So, while not everyone will ultimately be satisfied, I’ll know, as someone who has been buying metal records since 1981, and trading tapes since 1985, I’ll have done the project right. Also, as one who has made a living as a graphic designer for 25+ years, the book will have a killer look and feel, loaded with logos, covers, band photos, and vintage imagery. I’ve got lots of ideas.
I know more or less what you're missing because i've been into your blog and your facebook page and i saw your wants.
going further on the MA debate - their NWOBHM for example coverage is too weak. For example Paralex recorded 9 demos. Just to built a genealogical tree with all members that were once on Mythra and with what bands they were afterwards and what did they record would be a brain breaker for most people (almost 15 guys with 30 demos on diverse bands - all 80's). Probably 6 bands with the name of Prowler !!!!! Now, going to Italy - not me- who knows exactly how many 80's demos Death SS or Paul Chain recorded exactly. It's another brain breaker. Do you know exactly how many demos Cirith Ungol recorded before those 2 on MA ? And the titles of the songs featured there ????? Do you know just in Germany you might have more than 10000 demos recorded ??? No-one knows exactly ??? (both eastern and western Germany) - Same goes to US - possibly more than 15000 demos, promo-tapes (just for labels or radios shows or fa-clubs) unreleased demos (because the band decided at that time not to release it, but now consider it a valuable demo) and rehearsal demos. Lots of unknown information about line-ups. Sometimes only a picture of the band. It's just for you to know the task you have in front of you.
And this is just information...
There's plenty of pictures no-one ever will find.
And there's also demos no-one will ever get or listen - whatever the form - analog or mp3

No confontration dude. I'm also gathering demos since i don't remember when it started and i'm aware more or less i will never listen a lot of things i'm looking for. I would never do such a book covering the world. There's books already on the Czech/Slovakian scene on the French scene on the Italian scene and i heard this rumour about Malc doing a vol 2 of the NWOBHM Encyc this time only with demo bands. There's also the Texas Metal site and a Spanish 80's special site (all genres) - might help you...I'm sure i'm forgetting other useful "tools"....

Demos it's the last Underground frontier in my opinion
Knowledge Is Power
Plantweed

Post by Plantweed »

Is this Ze? :)