Cirith Ungol returns!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Northwinds

Re: Cirith Ungol returns!

Post by Northwinds »

This is cool, last time I talked to Rob was last year and he had no plans to ever play again. I talked to him about maybe getting his feet wet again so maybe he took it to heart
Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

Rob just messaged me

"It is great and maybe we will play some more shows closer to you. Allot is happening and some of it is not announced yet. The deal I made was I did not want to be in charge of everything so now we have a manager and 2 agents. Flying to Germany this month for a meet and greet and to sign autographs...

your pal

Rob"
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Lineup (according to the band's Facebook page):

Tim Baker - vocals
Robert Garven - drums
Jim Barraza - guitar
Greg Lindstrom - guitar

Jarvis Leatherby is in the latest photo so I guess he'll be playing bass, but he's not listed as a permanent member. As long as the flanger's on, I don't mind if Jarvis handles the 4-string. Sure, it'd be cooler if Flint returned, but I read somewhere he hasn't played bass in many years so maybe it's for the best if he opts out.

Holy crap, I'm looking forward to this!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Another new CU development:

I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Lama

Post by Lama »

What a line-up!!
Kampel Destruction
Zanker

Post by Zanker »

Lama wrote:What a line-up!!
Now THAT's a line-up that i would go to :wink:
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Never understood the hype behind Ashbury.

Very mediocre 70's tinged hard rock.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

Avenger wrote:Never understood the hype behind Ashbury.

If Ashbury is mediocre, just wondering what is considered great 70's tinged hard rock to you? just curious, not being offensive
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
malegys

Post by malegys »

Agreed, it seemed that their LP was hyped up because of it's "fantasy" cover art. There were hundreds better 70s bands out there that deserved way more recognition than Assbury.
"Do you like Wenom?"
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Astra Wally wrote:

If Ashbury is mediocre, just wondering what is considered great 70's tinged hard rock to you? just curious, not being offensive
The part I don't understand is why this band continues to be brought up in Metal circles when it has very little in common with the genre.

It's a lot closer to "classic rock" than Metal.

I understand that peoples tastes obviously vary outside of the Metal spectrum but I still continue to see this brought up as a gem in places like this, a forum dedicated to Metal in non off-topic threads.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Frigid Bich in that line-up, cool. Was spinning the OPM 10" yesterday, chrushing stuff
Long Live The Loud !!!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Avenger wrote:
Astra Wally wrote:

The part I don't understand is why this band continues to be brought up in Metal circles when it has very little in common with the genre.

It's a lot closer to "classic rock" than Metal.

I understand that peoples tastes obviously vary outside of the Metal spectrum but I still continue to see this brought up as a gem in places like this, a forum dedicated to Metal in non off-topic threads.
I take your point that from a modern Metallic perspective 'Endless Skies' seems anachronistic, but at the time that album came out genre 'lines' just weren't as rigid as nowadays.
'Heavy Metal' was far more of a catch-all term back then that included most forms of loud guitar music at a time when more accurate or clearly defined sub-genre descriptions like 'Hard Rock', 'Southern Rock', 'AOR' etc weren't used much.
As an example, around that time Iron Maiden toured the States supporting 38 Special & the combination made perfect sense to audiences and bookers alike.
If you look back at mags & zines from that era you'll see many strange bedfellows rubbing elbows in their pages, which must seem odd to anyone who didn't grow up then, but that was just how it was.
The phrase 'Classic Rock' was almost unknown then, and if used at all it was mainly in reference to 50's rock 'n' roll, as Rock as we now know it hadn't yet been around long enough to be considered classic.
It seemed that bands had more freedom to experiment outside of 'the rules' back then, and the musicians involved often had a wider pool of influences to draw from in order to do so, because they weren't stuck inside such a genre-specific box.
When you look back at the stylistic diversity and individuality among the 70s & 80s bands they cover an awful lot of musical ground when compared to their modern counterparts & i feel much of that comes down to the self-referencing state of the genre nowadays. It's become a bit of an echo chamber with severely diminishing returns.
Sorry, i've gotten a little off track here, we started off talking about Ashbury didn't we?
:D
Pesonally, i really enjoy Ashbury's stuff. To my ears they sound kinda like The Outlaws with folk-rock instead of country influences in the quieter moments. That's fine by me, i love Southern Rock & i enjoy some Jethro Tull or Fairport Convention when the mood takes me.
Granted, Ashbury aren't the heaviest band that ever existed, and they're obviously not for everyone, but to me it's heartening that they've been rediscovered and so embraced by the Metal audience. It'd be hard to begrudge them the little success they're currently experiencing after all their years of toiling away in utter obscurity, and perhaps it also shows that sometimes Heavy Metal can still be that broader church that it once was way back when.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

Yeah, I still remember the liner noter of Mike OLdfield's, Discovery album, claiming that with this album Mike Oldfield explores ...Heavy Metal !! :lol: One is for sure it's not the most brutal piece of music around! :lol: it seems that having the structure of a rock band (vox, guitar, bass, drums) was enough to call it "Heavy Metal".
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote:
I take your point that from a modern Metallic perspective 'Endless Skies' seems anachronistic, but at the time that album came out genre 'lines' just weren't as rigid as nowadays.
'Heavy Metal' was far more of a catch-all term back then that included most forms of loud guitar music at a time when more accurate or clearly defined sub-genre descriptions like 'Hard Rock', 'Southern Rock', 'AOR' etc weren't used much.
As an example, around that time Iron Maiden toured the States supporting 38 Special & the combination made perfect sense to audiences and bookers alike.
Wow, was that after TNOTB or POM was released?
bigfootkit wrote: If you look back at mags & zines from that era you'll see many strange bedfellows rubbing elbows in their pages, which must seem odd to anyone who didn't grow up then, but that was just how it was.
Indeed, just check out the Kerrangs that were once uploaded here!
bigfootkit wrote:The phrase 'Classic Rock' was almost unknown then, and if used at all it was mainly in reference to 50's rock 'n' roll, as Rock as we now know it hadn't yet been around long enough to be considered classic.
It seemed that bands had more freedom to experiment outside of 'the rules' back then, and the musicians involved often had a wider pool of influences to draw from in order to do so, because they weren't stuck inside such a genre-specific box.
When you look back at the stylistic diversity and individuality among the 70s & 80s bands they cover an awful lot of musical ground when compared to their modern counterparts & i feel much of that comes down to the self-referencing state of the genre nowadays. It's become a bit of an echo chamber with severely diminishing returns.
Sorry, i've gotten a little off track here, we started off talking about Ashbury didn't we?
:D
Excellent writing :!:
bigfootkit wrote: Pesonally, i really enjoy Ashbury's stuff. To my ears they sound kinda like The Outlaws with folk-rock instead of country influences in the quieter moments. That's fine by me, i love Southern Rock & i enjoy some Jethro Tull or Fairport Convention when the mood takes me.
Granted, Ashbury aren't the heaviest band that ever existed, and they're obviously not for everyone, but to me it's heartening that they've been rediscovered and so embraced by the Metal audience. It'd be hard to begrudge them the little success they're currently experiencing after all their years of toiling away in utter obscurity, and perhaps it also shows that sometimes Heavy Metal can still be that broader church that it once was way back when.
So I wonder, with all that strongest 70's feel, how come you cannot delve deep into music of BÖC? :wink: :D
I am ... the One you warned me of
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

bigfootkit wrote:As an example, around that time Iron Maiden toured the States supporting 38 Special & the combination made perfect sense to audiences and bookers alike.
Didn't know that either. Those live shows must have been like guitars heaven !
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine