Sloppy Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Korgüll wrote:
Avenger wrote:And since Voivod was recently mentioned in another thread, they would fit here quite nicely as well I think.
You mean very early Voivod maybe... by Dimension Hatross they were 'tighter than a nun's nasty'!
Disagreed, VOIVOD may have had a really slimy gritty perhaps even SLOPPY production on their earlier works but I don't find it that sloppy if at all, especially not in comparison with many of the other bands in this thread. Some really great lead work on War & Pain and a tight rhythm section despite the insane riffs. So in terms of the sound, yeah maybe sloppy, but the playing? I'd argue otherwise.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

FuneralCircle wrote:
Korgüll wrote:
Avenger wrote:And since Voivod was recently mentioned in another thread, they would fit here quite nicely as well I think.
You mean very early Voivod maybe... by Dimension Hatross they were 'tighter than a nun's nasty'!
Disagreed, VOIVOD may have had a really slimy gritty perhaps even SLOPPY production on their earlier works but I don't find it that sloppy if at all, especially not in comparison with many of the other bands in this thread. Some really great lead work on War & Pain and a tight rhythm section despite the insane riffs. So in terms of the sound, yeah maybe sloppy, but the playing? I'd argue otherwise.
I knew that this nomination would cause a little bit of disagreement but taking into consideration that it was never specified anywhere in the thread that "sloppy" had to imply only musicianship, I think that the mention is valid. "War And Pain" for example, sounds sloppy.

I'm not a musician myself, so needless to say I am quite ignorant when it comes to the physical technique performed in such a recording but my ears do not deceive me.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

CAULDRON would fit right here...no doubts.... sloppy/ wimpy... yeah right choice.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

rumblefist

Re: Sloppy Metal

Post by rumblefist »

Yep - Voivod - quite agree. Never liked them.
Knowledge Is Power
Draggsoda

Post by Draggsoda »

Morningstar - Rivendell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLibxex ... tml5=False

Maybe more bad than sloppy, but here goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISWxJvI ... tml5=False

Overdeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JztwALv ... tml5=False
(The drums at 1:30! Those lessons payed off)

This one maybe not what the thread starter asked for ...funny though

Sloppy or just pure shit, a fine line in some cases in this thread :)
My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo, I like to sink her with my pink torpedo
Northwinds

Re:

Post by Northwinds »

DaN wrote:
beerandjesus wrote:Has anyone on here heard of WHEELZ OF STEEL?

That's the biggest piece of shit of a metal album I've ever heard. Swear to God, it's completely inept. It's two brothers and a drum machine somewhere in Wisconsin, and that's exactly what it sounds like. They make Sodom on that first EP sound like Malmsteen.

I'm on the hunt for a copy!
Ever since Rob told me about this one I've been obsessed w/ finding a copy myself. I approached Jan Swanhill at a record fair in Sthlm a while back and asked if he would consider selling his copy. At first he seemed interrested, but later decided it belonged in his "real-people Music" collection :(
Does anyone have this for upload?

More on sloppy, slimey Steel after nappy-time..
Jan is good people, I talk to him on the phone every few months. I think his prices are very fair for what he offers on the whole and he likes to trade so maybe you can get the record you want. Last record I got off him was Phantom Blue s/t on Shrapnel
Yronbeast86

Post by Yronbeast86 »

I wonder how many of you guys would consider Mark Lowrey-rusty mark in the metal palace as one of the biggest and sloppiest metal lps ever.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Here! :!:
Count me in for sure! That one is crappy ... I couldn't trust my ears. haha
The problem is just that the topic covers sloppy but "therefore almost good" Metal albums.
But if I call something sloppy, I can't call it "good" or worth a listen. :?
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Yronbeast86

Post by Yronbeast86 »

I actually like the Mark Lowrey lp too. I've heard some people refer to the Barbarian(Bel) ep from 1984 as a really sloppy piece.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Secret Metal (Swe) - from a swedish compilation of 1987 :

http://picosong.com/NrfW/
Knowledge Is Power