Industrial Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Ernest Thesiger

Re: Industrial Metal

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Noisenik wrote:Lo Flux Tube
Oh yes. What a great strange album.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Noisenik wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:I am not very knowledgeable on this genre, from what I've heard so far Streetcleaner is the undisputed king. One of the most misanthropic and nihilistic recordings that have ever reached my ears... You breed... Like rats...
Lyrically and atmospherically yes, although I find them quite listenable, as opposed to most of modern things. How about FETISH 69 and Lo Flux Tube era OLD LADY DRIVERS?
Haven't heard any of them. Am I missing something truly great?
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Noisenik wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:I am not very knowledgeable on this genre, from what I've heard so far Streetcleaner is the undisputed king. One of the most misanthropic and nihilistic recordings that have ever reached my ears... You breed... Like rats...
Lyrically and atmospherically yes, although I find them quite listenable, as opposed to most of modern things. How about FETISH 69 and Lo Flux Tube era OLD LADY DRIVERS?
Haven't heard any of them. Am I missing something truly great?
ION,

dunno if truly great, but "Lo Flux Tube" is sort of industrial thrash (some Voivod touches), an all out machinegun assault on plexus solaris. Music made to suffer in a way, but it has been awhile since I last gave it a spin, perhaps bcs of that. Fetish 69's "Antibody" is sort of industrial-doomy-death metal fusion - Austrians on Nuclear Blast. Fireworks was a minor "hit". quite listenable, actually. Oh, and I just heard EISENVATER after decades. More death metal than indus, and nice guitars. Called German Godflesh, once upon a time ... give OLD a try, I dare say you will like 'em ... eventually.
I am ... the One you warned me of
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Thanks, will give them a try when I am in the right mood.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

The thing I liked about Sonic Violence is that, except for a couple of songs, they didn't really have any electronics or pretty much anything too modern. They really reminded me of stuff like Amebix, with a more monolithic, hypnotic sound.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Cochino wrote:The thing I liked about Sonic Violence is that, except for a couple of songs, they didn't really have any electronics or pretty much anything too modern. They really reminded me of stuff like Amebix, with a more monolithic, hypnotic sound.
Not too keen on this album but you're right, the vocals are similar to those of Baron and the cold, bleak atmosphere is generally close to Amebix.

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I had a fling with this subgenre for about 10 seconds in the 90's but in my ears these kind of bands have aged very poorly. I'm gonna go a bit off-topic and recommend you check out some not-so-metallic but still great industrial rock albums like FOETUS - "Gash" (more epic and guitar-oriented than his 80's stuff - which still was awesome btw..) and COP SHOOT COP's "Ask Questions Later". Head & shoulders above any Godflesh- or Ministry-derivatives imho.

...though BLOODSTAR will forever remain Gods.
Manillaungol

Post by Manillaungol »

Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Hello Ryan. Nice call, though a tad too MINISTeRYal for the sake of this thread.

I like their take on 'Sympathy For The Devil' a lotl, though.
I am ... the One you warned me of
mattjohnsen

Post by mattjohnsen »

I wanna second the Pitch Shifter suggestion - their first two albums and the EP in between are crucial, especially Desensitized.

Might I also suggest Swamp Terrorists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na4PfsqwlHA

Kinda like Ministry meets Pitch Shifter. Pretty sure they sample Coroner somewhere on Grow Speed Inject.
Manillaungol

Post by Manillaungol »