Emerald(NL)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Fucking Åmål

Emerald(NL)

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Although the last years i thought that the Dutch scene started and ended to my favourite bands Vortex,Leader,Defender and Proud Existence but all of a suddenly i listened lately Sad Iron(why i have never gived them a chance before? :evil: ) and yesterday Emerald.
Emerald are one of the best bands i have heard lately and it blowed me away.What a great band this is!High vocals,one of a kind melodies and really a highlight of Dutch Metal.I guess i will listen to more Dutch steel in the future.

What prevented to hear Emerald was a review i read on Metal Observer which is one of the most ''grabing'' and most funny reviews i have read in my life.This guy must have ''personal experiences'' :wink: from the guys of Emerald.

Read and laugh(of course if you have listened to Emerald and appreciate them)

http://www.metal-observer.com/articles. ... =1&id=3734

THese persons should be hanged. :evil:(I mean it)
I don't expected actually more :lol:
This reviewers probably think Metal started with the ''Black Album''.
The site has only new reviews(and scarsely the rereleases).But the fact is why someone draws links to this site as a trustful one?
acid

Post by acid »

Yeah I once posted that review on another forum. Needless to say everyone was furious, haha. But I have to agree, "Downtown" (or "Iron on Iron" as the CD is named) is a brilliant record. My fave songs... well... I guess "D-day" is my favourite. They're still playing every now and then (their KIT concert 3 years ago was fuckin' brilliant!). They cancelled their Swordbrothers concert some months ago, but they'll play on a Dutch festival next month. Too bad the brilliant guitarist left after the KIT show, and now Paul (Ex-Hammerhawk) will take over the guitars. I've also got a brilliant live tape of Emerald with unreleased songs. They're also writing new songs if I'm correct.

If you like Emerald, check out Final Heiress in the MP3-section of this forum. Brilliant band too.
Geen gezeik, ik heb gelijk.
Popa_Iuda

Post by Popa_Iuda »

Really great band! Cult! The vocals reminds me sometimes of Joe Comeau or Glen May.
D-Day and Shadow Of The Almighty are their best songs.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Well, that "metalhead" has another great review:

http://www.metal-observer.com/articles. ... =1&id=3636

Obviously he likes Arch Enemy, The Haunted, Lamb Of God and other non metal related faggotary.

Emerald is topnotch Dutch Steel. I have that album on tape and I don't have a tapedeck anymore, so I desperately need an original.
Long Live The Loud !!!
Popa_Iuda

Post by Popa_Iuda »

The Sentinel wrote:Well, that "metalhead" has another great review:

http://www.metal-observer.com/articles. ... =1&id=3636

Obviously he likes Arch Enemy, The Haunted, Lamb Of God and other non metal related faggotary.

Emerald is topnotch Dutch Steel. I have that album on tape and I don't have a tapedeck anymore, so I desperately need an original.
I'd kill him :D !
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Popa_Iuda wrote: I'd kill him :D !
Torturing him with 80's metal would be better I guess :D
Long Live The Loud !!!
beerandjesus

Post by beerandjesus »

Hmmm..... well, I can't say I know what the average age on this board is, but based on the stuff that reviewer seems to like I kind of do get the impression he thinks metal started with the Black Album..... and although almost all my own favorite bands are earlier, it kind of forces me to wonder what it's like to perceive metal through the ears of someone who wasn't born until, say, 1990.

For instance, has anyone else here noticed how all the young kids who hang out in the Metal Archives forum think Seventh Son is Iron Maiden's crowning achievement? When that record came out, my friends and I all hated it--we saw it as the final nail in the coffin they built with Somewhere in Time. But a lot of them think it's the greatest thing ever... so much so that I'd kind of like to hear it again and see how it strikes me in hindsight. And like I said, I wonder how it sounds to someone who doesn't remember when Black Metal and Number of the Beast came out!
Helm

Post by Helm »

Though I prefer Killers to Piece of Mind, and Piece of Mind to Number of the Beast, and Number of the Beast to Seventh Son, I still understand why a lot of people would consider the latter their best. It's a very good record with a few bad tracks ('The Prophecy' anyone?) with amazing atmosphere, which isn't something Iron Maiden are usually known for.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Well, no offense is meant to anyone who likes this album, but the vocalist is simply horrible. This kind of ''high-pitched'' vocals are way too annoying for my taste. Musically it's not that bad, far from great or masterpiece though. Oh and one track was something like a "If heaven is hell" rip-off if i remember right... :roll:
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
expect no mercy

Post by expect no mercy »

Speaking of Dutch steel,has anybody tried VANDALE?
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

expect no mercy wrote:Speaking of Dutch steel,has anybody tried VANDALE?
I haven't, but I've wanted to hear "Geitenwollensokkenrockers" for ages.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Ernest Thesiger wrote: I haven't, but I've wanted to hear "Geitenwollensokkenrockers" for ages.
Is that a serious band from Holland? Never heard of it
Long Live The Loud !!!
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

The Sentinel wrote:
Ernest Thesiger wrote: I haven't, but I've wanted to hear "Geitenwollensokkenrockers" for ages.
Is that a serious band from Holland? Never heard of it
A song off the 1982 Vandale album Schandale.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

expect no mercy wrote:Speaking of Dutch steel,has anybody tried VANDALE?
I have, I've both their albums on CD. The Dutch lyrics are cool but the music isn't of the highest order. The reissue of Schandale has a few of their songs in German, now that's some great stuff. :lol:

As for Emerald, they are one of my favorite (Dutch) bands and Down Town is one of my favorite records ever! The cover of the CD reissue is to puke over though...
khiijol

Re: Emerald(NL)

Post by khiijol »

been digging deeper into dutch steel and came across this warrior demo

[youtube]oxZsruRP7Ek[/youtube]

the band later turned into emerald and this track is on the LP - i'm just wondering if this is really from 1976?? it sounds way too advanced for that time and the other demo they have listed on M-A is from 84, which sounds like a more appropriate date. anyone have any info on when this is actually from?