Scotland Shops?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

So, back on topic, anyone has any recommendations regarding my visit to Scotland?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Hi Apollo, Glasgow i can help with but i don't know much of metallic interest in Edinburgh.
There are quite a few good record shops in 'Glesga', most of which have a healthy proportion of vinyl, a lot of which is Metallic in nature.
I'd start with a look round Missing Records (Argyle Street) and The Record & Tape Exchange (Jamaica Street) which are just one street apart next to Glasgow central station in the city centre.
Just off Argyle Street at the other end you'll find Record Fayre on Chisholm Street which is usually worth a visit as well.
Love Music on Dundas Street might be worth a look too.
If you can find someone who knows the city and is willing to take you to The Barras market one weekend there are several record stalls dotted around, some of which deal also in bootleg vinyl, CDs and dvds etc
Don't go by yourself though, it's too easy to get lost and/or robbed.
:lol:
There are also a few record shops in the student area around Glasgow University in the West End of the city.
There are also record fairs held every few months at the Scottish Exhibition Centre, Partick Library and the Central Hotel. Worth checking out if any are on whilst you're in town, should be easy enough to find out with Google.
There are also a few good Rock/Metal bars and nightclubs in Glasgow.
The Solid Rock Cafe on Hope Street is a friendly lively Rock bar and The Cathouse nightclub/venue on Union Street can be a fun night out.
There's also a decent, if run down, bar/venue on Sauchiehall Street called Nice & Sleazy which used to be a good place to hang out, and McSorleys on Jamaica Street used to be a good bar too with a big biker clientelle.
I'm a boring old fart these days so i haven't been to a lot of these places for quite a while, so double check them before setting off to make sure they still exist.
The city has lots of live music venues and is a bit of a Metal stronghold for touring bands so it'd likely be worth checking the listings to see if there are any gigs on while you're here.
Hope all this info is of some interest and use to you and you have a great time on your visit.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

After a quick google search i found that there is a record fair taking place in Glasgow on 21st & 22nd September at the Mitchell Library on North Street.
Don't know if that co-incides with your visit or not.
Further info here:
http://www.vip-24.com/glasgowmitchelllibrary.htm
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

thank you very much for this detailed reply!
I'll be there for a week in the mid of October, so I'll miss the record fair.
But I'll take a look through the stores you mentioned!
Thanks again! Cheerz!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

apollo.ra wrote:thank you very much for this detailed reply!
I'll be there for a week in the mid of October, so I'll miss the record fair.
But I'll take a look through the stores you mentioned!
Thanks again! Cheerz!
You're very welcome Apollo, if you've any other queries about the city (even non-Metal ones), gimme a shout and i'll try to point you in the right direction if i can.
I live about 30 miles from Glasgow so i used to know the city pretty well before i became a boring old man.
I hope you enjoy your visit.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

It's been a few years since I was there, but Edinburgh did not have much to offer metal-wise the last time I was there. There was precious little metal in the second hand shops, the prices were high (Even outrageous. One tried to charge me £50 for a copy of Death and Destiny 7" which was badly damaged!).

I may have still have a list of the shops somewhere though. I'll dig it out if you still fancy your luck
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Ouch, that's almost as outrageous as the prices at Sound Station in Copenhagen.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Curious to know how you got on, any good finds?
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

Visited almost all of the mentioned stores above. (couldn't find the record and tape exchange on Jamaica street)

I must admit almost nothing regarding heavy metal!
Apart from some Kingdome Come LPs, some Iron Maiden 7"s, a shitload of Whitesnake and ZZTOP releases ZERO! Nothing!

There was only a record store near the Glasgow Uni in West End where i picked up a Tyton and a Virgin Steele LP...

Oh, and there was a Metal Church LP and a Judas Priest in a "metal" bin somewhere in the West End also. That's all!! Nothing more!

Didn't have the chance to visit any flea market or any carpool event.

I also visited SolidRock and Cathouse (dude how can anyone combine Megadeth with Red Hot Chilli Peppers?!!)

Scotland is a wonderful place to live, both Edinburgh and Glasgow are magnificent, but nothing regarding heavy metal! Even the Queensryche event that I was attending cancelled one day before my arrival!!

Will definitely visit Scotland again but sure not for record hunting :D

Highlight of the trip: "Alloa Beer Festival" - Scottish Real Ale!!!!!!

Aye! :lol:
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

apollo.ra wrote:Visited almost all of the mentioned stores above. (couldn't find the record and tape exchange on Jamaica street)

I must admit almost nothing regarding heavy metal!
Apart from some Kingdome Come LPs, some Iron Maiden 7"s, a shitload of Whitesnake and ZZTOP releases ZERO! Nothing!

There was only a record store near the Glasgow Uni in West End where i picked up a Tyton and a Virgin Steele LP...

Oh, and there was a Metal Church LP and a Judas Priest in a "metal" bin somewhere in the West End also. That's all!! Nothing more!

Didn't have the chance to visit any flea market or any carpool event.

I also visited SolidRock and Cathouse (dude how can anyone combine Megadeth with Red Hot Chilli Peppers?!!)

Scotland is a wonderful place to live, both Edinburgh and Glasgow are magnificent, but nothing regarding heavy metal! Even the Queensryche event that I was attending cancelled one day before my arrival!!

Will definitely visit Scotland again but sure not for record hunting :D

Highlight of the trip: "Alloa Beer Festival" - Scottish Real Ale!!!!!!

Aye! :lol:
Damn!!! I hoped to convince my lady to visit Scotland instead of an exotic destination of any kind (Iran for example!!!!!!), but now that you inform us that there are not too many interests of the metallic kind, I start to think it over again!
The Ripper

Post by The Ripper »

Just returned from Edi...nothing special in record hunting.
I found one shop near Tollcross bus station selling records mostly of household names such as Maiden, Priest along with turntables, amplifiers etc and 2 shops in Newington street, selling both cd's and records.
The first had the usual stuff rather high priced, whilst the second had some really good LP's in a fairly decent price, like for example Saint's ''Time's End'' at 8 pounds or some early Motley Crue, NWOBHM etc. The worst thing though being that there was no separate stack for Heavy Metal, therefore one had to go through all the records to trace a Metal oriented one. You can imagine my surprise finding a Roxy Music's record after Riot's ''Thundersteel'' or a Boney-M's best of comp after Black Sabbath's ''TYR''!!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Sorry for the late reply apollo. I guess i'm pretty out of touch with what record shops remain in Glasgow nowadays. The fairs and markets were always the best bet for finding real gems, but the stores used to be pretty decent.
I'm guessing the internet is impacting pretty badly on record stores globally, but for some reason i thought Glasgow would remain i-tunes/amazon proof for longer than most.
Looks like i was wrong.
Sounds like you had a good time anyway, (despite the Red Hot Chili Peppers), and that's the main thing. Seems like you really got around and crammed plenty of experiences into your time here.
And you even found something to recommend about Alloa?
Now that is impressive!

:lol:
DaN
Administructor

Re: Scotland Shops?

Post by DaN »

I'll be spending the major part of next week in Edinburgh. I guess the HM-Hunting situation is the same? Any good flea markets? Or other stuff to do?
(Must be stroller-containing-very-lively-2-year-old friendly!)
bigfootkit

Re: Scotland Shops?

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote:I'll be spending the major part of next week in Edinburgh. I guess the HM-Hunting situation is the same? Any good flea markets? Or other stuff to do?
(Must be stroller-containing-very-lively-2-year-old friendly!)
As i seem to be the only Scot on the forum i wish i could help you out with some recommendations DaN, but I haven't spent any time in Edinburgh for at least 15 years so i''m afraid i'm no help whatsoever.
:?
Hope you enjoy your visit though.
DaN
Administructor

Re:

Post by DaN »

Cheers Kit!

I just checked and I think I'll probably make a day-trip to "Glesga" some time in the middle of the week - should be cheap and only about an hour w/ train. Are these shops still around?-->
bigfootkit wrote:There are quite a few good record shops in 'Glesga', most of which have a healthy proportion of vinyl, a lot of which is Metallic in nature.
I'd start with a look round Missing Records (Argyle Street) and The Record & Tape Exchange (Jamaica Street) which are just one street apart next to Glasgow central station in the city centre.
Just off Argyle Street at the other end you'll find Record Fayre on Chisholm Street which is usually worth a visit as well.
Love Music on Dundas Street might be worth a look too.
If you can find someone who knows the city and is willing to take you to The Barras market one weekend there are several record stalls dotted around, some of which deal also in bootleg vinyl, CDs and dvds etc
Don't go by yourself though, it's too easy to get lost and/or robbed.