THE PLADS - Domine Deus

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
domine deus

Re: THE PLADS - Domine Deus

Post by domine deus »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:Finally i got my copy this week. Thanks for the review, never heard from that band/album before and i was not disappointed one bit after i gave it it's first spin. Fascinating early heavy metal with some nice atmosphere to it.

Songs like "Things Look Different At Night" or "Teenage Situation" to me sound like a metal version of THE CLASH, if you know what i mean, a bit punkish and british.
You have superior intillect and an open mind, don't change a thing.
I am not a robot. I was always a litle behind the music trends please forgive me.
chatzial

Post by chatzial »

domine deus wrote:
Sgt. Kuntz wrote:Finally i got my copy this week. Thanks for the review, never heard from that band/album before and i was not disappointed one bit after i gave it it's first spin. Fascinating early heavy metal with some nice atmosphere to it.

Songs like "Things Look Different At Night" or "Teenage Situation" to me sound like a metal version of THE CLASH, if you know what i mean, a bit punkish and british.
You have superior intillect and an open mind, don't change a thing.
For all it's worth, i think "Hot n Heavy" is a great release. "Heavy Metal Warrior" and "U.S. Metal" forever!!!
E.C.S.S.R. will prevail
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

domine deus wrote:
Avenger wrote:Thanks for the background but commercial success is not of much merit here.
Well I can tell you we did not have commercial success. but every band strives to get it no matter what they say. The rational is that once you make some money you can then concentrate on making projects that you want to without eating from a tuna can. Look at how good metallica once was, now in my humble opinion they suck. so I see what you mean sometimes .commercial success ruined their music diretion. I am tortured with this supposed new hard rock on sierus radio program Called OCTANE.
todays songwriting formula is simple , the song starts out with mellow lead ins then just when your feeling gay they blast out a verse that sounds like someone hurling into a toilet. then back to mellow crap. Thank god for sites like this.
I and the singer for EGO are going to start a new group, sometime and it is going to be very heavy and worthy , At least a couple good songs came out of the plads. just bad marketing on labels commands. I auditioned for metallica before cliff burton- and MAB's new band Nitro also Carmine Appice's King Kobra among others. I was trying to escape the plads. It is a small door and only so many people fit through it no matter how good you are.My old singer from Black Ice is trying out for the voice in L.A. on in feb , I wish him luck as he,s the best unknown singer around. My friend Jess harnell, I hope you know who he is . is now wildly rich and plays what the hell he wants, He does voiceovers and his band plays what the hell it wants to, look him up on IMDB.

oh sorry commercial success is not allowed to be spoken about on here. Ill tell you another then who is happy, our producer ray leonard who has worked with DIO ratt and a gazillion other big bands. former rocker who has 4 emmys for sound mixing.
at least he has a nice home to raise his family. now he does experimental ethereal music. success is not a bad word. I also know singer wally from the group Nevermore. Check them out awesome stuff. I am now ok living in my six story castle . watch for my group THE ICE BARONS, coming out ?????
I found this much more interesting and worthy of reading to the end of then what I was referring to earlier in this thread. I'm really interested in hearing more of the historically “unimportant” details from someone who lived the scene during its prime. The Black Ice EP is pure gold in my book and I'm sure if a more in-depth conversation about it were to take place here it would be highly praised by others as well.

"Success" in the music industry is a two-sided coin. It allows you to do what you want but at the same time you often have to sell out to achieve or keep said status, which means you aren't truly doing what you want while in the pinnacle of it. I really don't want to get into a full-blown argument about this because there are too many variables to take into consideration and every satiation is obviously a bit different.

That aside, I strongly recommend not going with retrospect records if you plan to release any of the old material you had part in. If you feel the need to know more, a quick google search should bring you answers or at least it used to. I don't know if the countless forum threads where Sam McCaslin went off angrily and desperately trying to defend/justify his shitty business practices are still accessible but believe me there used to be many of them and they weren't pretty.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Keir

Post by Keir »

Hey Tom, nice to see you posting here! I've always been curious to know how an Alaskan band ended up in L.A. on KLOS comp.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Tom,
I was just reading quote from jazz musician Hannibal Marvin Peterson that really summed up something that I felt was quite apropos re the music industry:

"Once you change one thing, you're changing things your whole life," Hannibal says. "It's like a lie: once you tell one, you have to tell a million more."
domine deus wrote: Well I can tell you we did not have commercial success. but every band strives to get it no matter what they say.
domine deus

Post by domine deus »

I see your point and totally agree with the quote As I went to Musicians Institute in Hollywood in 1982, it was over the Hollywood wax museum. It was a jazz based school with greats like Jeff Berlin teaching bass guitar. This school taught me to appreciate pure jazz and keeping to it for the greatest jazz musicians. Or expanding like Jaco Pastorious who went off in his own direction and not stay on the pedestrian path. good to be back on this great Forum, The Corroseum in totality is great a site!
I am not a robot. I was always a litle behind the music trends please forgive me.