Ungodly abysmal death metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Sentinel

Ungodly abysmal death metal

Post by The Sentinel »

AMORPHIS: Privilege of Evil MLP
ANATOMY (AUS): Twisting Depths of Horror: first 3 songs
ABHORRENCE: demo and 7"
MACABRE END: Consumed by Darkness 7"
FUNEBRARUM: Beneath the Colomns of Abandoned Gods LP
ADRAMELECH: Spring of Recovery 7"
DEPRAVITY: Silence of the Centuries

and maybe Second Hell on the Metal Deadness split which is more thrash but it has that same sick twisted atmosphere.

I need more of this typical style of (death) metal. That abysmal Lovecraft like horror sound is what I seek. I'm not hinting at the Entombed/Dismember more generic style of death metal (which isn't bad off course). I love that cryptic sick atmosphere in those above mentioned bands.

Need more names :P
Long Live The Loud !!!
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

DEMILICH but I guess you already know that one
NECROPHOBIC demos
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

I'm not sure if this qualifies but ...

IMPERATOR - The Time Before Time
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

DM is not my specialty, but 2 things pop to mind:

Cemetary- evil shade of gray. Notable for developing a really weird/creepy atmosphere in what would otherwise be pretty standard early 90s swedish death metal

Necros Cristos have a cool, twwisted, darkened sound. More 'streamlined' perhaps than the stuff you mentioned, but worth a shot.

If you want a Lovecraftian vibe, you might try some of the funeral doom bands. Different sound frmo those you listed, but groups like Evoken and Skepticism are often described as 'Lovecraftian' given the huge, slow, monolithic, and haunting nature of their music. Some funeral bands click with me, others don't, but IMO those 2 tend to do a nice job of getting that abysmal, unearthly, dredged-from-the-darkest-voids-where-no-light-dwells type of atmosphere
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

nightsblood wrote:Cemetary- evil shade of gray. Notable for developing a really weird/creepy atmosphere in what would otherwise be pretty standard early 90s swedish death metal
That album is actually one of the funniest things I've ever heard - great mood-lifter! Cannot stop laughing at that weird funny squeaking guitar sound every time I hear it.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I think you'd like Delirium and Sempiternal Deathreign, both from the Netherlands (although you probably already know them). And I'd go a little bit out of the obvious here and say you'd probably like Zombified Preachers Of Gore's second demo. It's one of the demos I listen to the most and I think it sounds really dark and evil.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

CONVULSE - World Without God
INFESTER - To the Depths, in Degradation
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Will check them out! Already know most mentioned.

I forgot:

DEMIGOD: Slumber of Sullen Eyes
CREMATORY (SWE): The Exordium & Wrath from the Unknown demo's
SENTENCED: Shadows of the Past LP
Long Live The Loud !!!
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I am not that good with death metal but Holostoj Vystrel from Russia might be something along the lines of what you're looking for.
Parcas Sangrientas

Post by Parcas Sangrientas »

Grave Ritual"Euphoric Hymns from the Altar of Death",in the evil way of Incantation.
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

shub niggurath (mex) - horror creatures demo
cenotaph (mex) 7"
rippikoulu - musta seremonia
rottrevore demos
mystification (pol) - from the dark side of life demo (i'm sure the first one is cool too but i havent heard it)
mutation - malignant existance demo
pestigore 92 promo
silent death - before the sunrise

ddt kinda fit but they lurch around like an old drunk and are kind of their own thing... kinda like if early autopsy kept it slower and couldn't keep in time with one another at all
laasgaardh

Post by laasgaardh »

The Sentinel wrote:Will check them out! Already know most mentioned.

I forgot:

DEMIGOD: Slumber of Sullen Eyes
CREMATORY (SWE): The Exordium & Wrath from the Unknown demo's
SENTENCED: Shadows of the Past LP
The demos by Crypt Of Kerberos are pretty similar to Crematory, at least in terms of atmosphere, so I'd recommend them.
Last edited by laasgaardh on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

khiijol wrote:ddt kinda fit but they lurch around like an old drunk and are kind of their own thing... kinda like if early autopsy kept it slower and couldn't keep in time with one another at all
DDT? Never heard of them, any album title or something to help out searching for some material to check out?

Also, Phlegm has its darker moments that might approach the style that this thread's about but they do mix it with more punkish stuff.
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

Cochino wrote:
khiijol wrote:ddt kinda fit but they lurch around like an old drunk and are kind of their own thing... kinda like if early autopsy kept it slower and couldn't keep in time with one another at all
DDT? Never heard of them, any album title or something to help out searching for some material to check out?
polish band active in the early 90s - released two demos "dethroned death" and "fineness of brutality" that were reissued on CD last year or so. "dethroned death" is the rawer and sloppier of the two, whereas "fineness of brutality" is more refined and doom in tone. they're both quite excellent but "dethroned death" is a bit more in the spirit of the thread
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Thanks for the info. Will check them out.