Origins of Bathorys Viking Era?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
mordred

Post by mordred »

Isn't quite well known that Quorthon was a huge fan of prime era Manowar?

As far as I am concerned, "Hammerheart" (best Bathoyr album) pretty much recreates the atmosphere Manowar had on "Into Glory Ride".
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

I did mention it in my initial post, but this topic seems to have turned into an outlet for people to say they either worship bathory or manowar.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote:
Still, their "Viking"-era sound is hardly a MANOWAR-rip off per se, so there must have been more influences involved. Worth investigating..

True.

Listening to Hammerheart I hear very little of Manowar influences. I don't know if atmosphere is viking, but it is certainly unique. Inspired by viking folklore, culture, history and general way of living. It's antropologic in a way. It's sounds serious, even grave, praising military achievements but also tough life on the far-north. While Manowar ... oh well, maybe Manowar were starting point ("the idea of epic", exaltation, heroism) but the outcome couldn't be removed further on that same lines.
I am ... the One you warned me of
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

What are you deaf? Hammerheart reeks more of Manowar's Epics than any other album from bathory.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

FenderMedium wrote:What are you deaf? Hammerheart reeks more of Manowar's Epics than any other album from bathory.
in fact I am. One ear serves me less than the other as a result of being exposed to a sudden loud blast of high-pitched tones. slightly fractured ear-drum. Damn I could sew that motherf..r then.

And I don't think Hammerheart really reeks of Manowar epics due to exclusion of pomposity from the concept. Well, if you hear Hammerheart they way you do, I'm convinced this is no problem. Everyone may hear it differently, myself included.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Also Hammerheart is a fave of mine.This and Twilight Of The Gods are the representative Viking Sound ever.No other band will make more epic records than these.Although Manowar don't have this atmosphere as Bathory ,they managed to write more classical songs than Bathory.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Well perhaps we have to take note that Manowar was a 4 piece band with a big label in some of their albums (WEA I think) with a good production budged and so on, while Bathory was mainly only Quorthon at a garage in Stokholm with very low budged. Perhaps that was one of the things that made Bathory more atmospheric than Manowar, while Man-o-war even used orchestra and so on.
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

Good question. I would also wage that MANOWAR had a lot to do with it, even if I can't imagine Quorthon ever confessing to that. After all their early VENOM-influences have been strongly denied through their career. quote by Dan

Yeah Quorthon credits Manowar for this inspiration...I will have to dig through my 30 plus copies of sounds of death magazine + they did 4 issuse under the name Anvil Magazine... But he is interviewed by them, in Sounds of Death.

He saw in Nature living in the cold winter, what the past was like because of the majesty of nature must lie the majesty of mankind. He though the lyrics of previous albums ran-there-course, and could no longer build on them. So he went with this inspiration of viking culture, in nature and human nature. And how he respected Manowar, for playing serious metal.

Qurothon did say he thought VoiVod was kind of out there for him, but got to enjoy years latter because of all the 9th rate bands releasing crap in inspired Slayer/ Possessed/ Death etc.

As far as the Venom thing, who gives a fuck because even the most original bands are derivative, in the first place.

But if you like ChargeGBH and Motorhead, it is obvious to pick up Venoms first 2 albums also back then. But if he says he created his sound that way chargeGBH + Motorhead, why not believe him.

Even if you never read this interview common sense will dictate, that Manowar have been heavy metal GODS since August 1982 when Battle Hymns.

My favorite bands are Mercyful Fate, then pre-sellout- era Metallica, then Celtic Frost pre- sellout era Cold Lake. And I have a total respect for Manowar. It was a awesome choice for Megaforce records to have them on there record label MRI-169-666, to follow Metallica "Kill em All" MRI-069.

I can not take people serious who think Manowar are cheesy. When they are nothing but authentic heavy metal.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
DeathMetalWeenie

Ha could not find that on any of the 7 Manowar CD's I own (I am not a completest of this band)...I am not a completest of any band except Motorhead. But Manowar while not being really fast enough, or heavy enough for my personal every day listening habits ala bay area thrash and death metal...I still respect them, because they seem to have few imitators. Even though they get alot of things correct concerning lyrics, songwriting and excellent singing. And having there own sound ie (instant recognition to what band I am listening to)

I like this band Anthrax, circa 1983/1984 when Neil Turbin was the singer, he seem to have a Eric Adams influence to his awesome singing.

I love that whole Manowar vibe which started for me with Death tone "give that square the middle finger and he will never look here again"...NO chesse just authentic heavy metal vibe, attitude and spirit.

I hated when Geffen records took off the Death to False metal slogan, when it first appeared on the Music for Nations pressing, of "Hail to England". I wanted to boycott the Geffen edition of "Hail to England" but I needed it to retire my Music for Nations edition.

I am sure the you tube clip you choose DID NOT come from the golden age/ golden era of authentic and extreme heavy metal. May 1979---July 1986
DeathMetalWeenie

The SOUNDS OF DEATH interview with QUORTHON is found is ISSUE # 8.

Dig through your stack of fanzines and look for that f*&!@#@, very cool how much he worships MANOWAR !!!!

It explains the Manowar/ Bathory connection perfectly. Myself I figured out it through common sense. Because I listening to Manowar non-stop back in 83 and 84, as well as Bathory in 84 and 85.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

DeathMetalWeenie wrote:Dig through your stack of fanzines and look for that f*&!@#@, very cool how much he worships MANOWAR !!!!
"fucknut"?
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Outcast

Post by Outcast »

Besides MANOWAR obviously, it might be that he was influenced also by NWOBHM bands who made some songs about Vikings (like SATAN's Blades Of Steel) or maybe even with THOR and his Viking novelty. He obviously wanted to take it in a serious, more deeper and conceptual way than these bands did after he left his black metal phase and Satanic themes. He probably listened a lot of classical and scandinavian folk music at that time to invoke the atmosphere about Viking pagan culture and was truly experimental about his conceptual songwriting, as there weren't so much inspiration in metal for that back then.