bands in the vein of Ashbury?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
AxeCrazy

Post by AxeCrazy »

Has anybody heard the post-Legend (From The Fjords) band called Mercenary? I know they did a 45 and a demo tape. I am very curious to hear it.
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

OmenOfSteel wrote: Aragon - Don't bring the Rain LP (Aussie band, awesome - a must!)
Is this really Hard Rock? I heard a few short samples and it sounded like pop!?!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Swedish band AMBUSH were sort of in the same neighborhood on their "4 Track EP" 7".
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

roihlem wrote:
OmenOfSteel wrote: Aragon - Don't bring the Rain LP (Aussie band, awesome - a must!)
Is this really Hard Rock? I heard a few short samples and it sounded like pop!?!
I am sorry to say, but this one is average soft prog. rock.
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

tbieri wrote:
roihlem wrote:
Sorry Thomas but I have to strongly disagree with you! Listen again to a track like the epic COMPANY OF WOLVES! It's totally METAL, maybe not really "hard" but it has this METAL feeling, it definitly has balls! Awesome band, the vocalist is among the best too. I highly recommend this gem to everyone who likes ASHBURY, can't imagine anyone would be disappointed (besides Thomas, that is).
We praise the blood that metal brings
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Ashbury "Endless Skies" is a masterpiece, great epic hard rock/metal. I would like to add Triarchy "Save The Kahn" 7". Epic hard rock at its best.

Great thread btw, I still need to check a lot of those bands.
Long Live The Loud !!!
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

OmenOfSteel wrote:
tbieri wrote:
roihlem wrote:
Sorry Thomas but I have to strongly disagree with you! Listen again to a track like the epic COMPANY OF WOLVES! It's totally METAL, maybe not really "hard" but it has this METAL feeling, it definitly has balls! Awesome band, the vocalist is among the best too. I highly recommend this gem to everyone who likes ASHBURY, can't imagine anyone would be disappointed (besides Thomas, that is).
I am hearing it now, but there is no song called "Company of Wolfes" on it ! What's going on ? Do we have the same record ?
The songs on mine are called; For your eyes, Gabrielle, The Cradle and The Crucifixion !
What i am hearing is some english Neoprog like Jadis or Red Jasper. Nearly no guitars ! Quite synthetic drums ! OK, some slightly heavy eruptions but NO METAL AT ALL !
ARC

Post by ARC »

DaN wrote:Swedish band AMBUSH were sort of in the same neighborhood on their "4 Track EP" 7".
You are correct Sir!
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

..you dont seriously believe that ANY of these is on par with Endless Skies right? not even Legend.to me only the live winterhawk cd comes close..it has some of that magical thing in it,whatever that is
ARC

Post by ARC »

MassOfKthulu wrote:..you dont seriously believe that ANY of these is on par with Endless Skies right? not even Legend.to me only the live winterhawk cd comes close..it has some of that magical thing in it,whatever that is
I agree with you, Endless Skies is in a league of its own
hload

Post by hload »

of course...and ambush is 0 comparing them with ashbury.....i had 3 copies of that "4 track ep" and thank god i gave them away at last...i didn't manage to leave one for myself(not that i care)....
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

MassOfKthulu wrote:..you dont seriously believe that ANY of these is on par with Endless Skies right? not even Legend.to me only the live winterhawk cd comes close..it has some of that magical thing in it,whatever that is
Imo "Fröm The Fjörds" tops "Endless Skies" and far above, but as someone else mentioned, they're really not that similar.

RITUAL has been mentioned, but the WIDOW (UK) s/t LP '83 is even closer to this sound.

My own opinion on ASHBURY is that it includes a handfull of superb songs and quite a few standards, but the overall vibe makes it something more than the sum of its parts. Like all Great Albums do.
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

it'd really simple,Skies leans towards southern rock,Fjords leans towards jazz-fusion,the less-than-perfect songs on either release stray towards these respective soundscapes,but that inherent melancholy is spread almost equally on the Skies songs,while the B side of Fjords is almost like a Chick Korea LP (to my ears anyway) so i go for Ahsbury,to each their own,of course
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Let's say here my horrible opinion.I never understood at all the hype about bands like Ashbury/Legend?To me these bands offered one very good song each.I will sort them to the one-hit wonder bands(like countless ''cult'' US bands)
ASHBURY-The Warning
LEGEND-Destroyer
Nothing more,nothing less the rest of the album is for sleepless nights.Whenever
i try to hear the rest of the tracks i nearly fall asleep with the long acoustic/ballad/mellow tracks.Boring and very different from the opening songs(which are great i repeat).Legend maybe was ahead of the time and respectable but for Ashbury the year when they released 'Endless Skies'' was nothing original for their time for such style.

Now about WIDOW i don't understand why you sort them with bands like Ashbury.Their heavy/doom metal and their occult/eerie sound has not any relation to Ashbury.
WIDOW though was one of the best bands from UK.
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

tbieri wrote:
OmenOfSteel wrote:
tbieri wrote:
I am hearing it now, but there is no song called "Company of Wolfes" on it ! What's going on ? Do we have the same record ?
The songs on mine are called; For your eyes, Gabrielle, The Cradle and The Crucifixion !
What i am hearing is some english Neoprog like Jadis or Red Jasper. Nearly no guitars ! Quite synthetic drums ! OK, some slightly heavy eruptions but NO METAL AT ALL !
I just checked it, COMPANY OF WOLVES (and 2 others) are CD-only bonustracks.
About the general sound, I just gave the CD another spin, and I must say it's not as metallic as I remembered it. Still it's a fantastic album and the track COMPANY OF WOLVES stands out even more, killer!
We praise the blood that metal brings