David DeFeis on PILEDRIVER, EXORCIST and ORIGINAL SIN

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
DaN
Administructor

David DeFeis on PILEDRIVER, EXORCIST and ORIGINAL SIN

Post by DaN »

New, unique interview published on The Corroseum website, made by mordred over the phone last year... Enjoy!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Interesting.

I will give this a read later tonight.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

It was already known that Exorcist = Virgin Steele :D

What was unknown is that they didn't do it for easy money, to ride the rising wave of thrash metal-mania. No, they were 'forced' to do that by the manager, to fullfill debts !
Oh yes I believe it :lol:
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Mordred definitely deserves some applause for that interview. Assuming everything DeFeis said was true it finally laid to rest a lot of the bullshit out there. It's funny how dubious Cobra Records turned out to be. I'm also glad to hear that some of these albums could see official re-issues in the future. It would be nice to finally replace my bootlegs.

I know that Mordred does a fair share of interviews, how come more of them aren't posted here?
Last edited by Avenger on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
mordred

Post by mordred »

Helstar wrote:It was already known that Exorcist = Virgin Steele :D
Actually, this was published largely to finish off misconceptions like this. Exorcist was not Virgin Steele, nor was there ever an intention to disguise Virgin Steele as something else for whatever reasons like it says on Metal Archives and god knows where else. The band name dispute was long over and Virgin Steele had released Noble Savage before the Exorcist thing happened. The Exorcist record, Joey Ayvazian is not on there, Joe O'Reilly is for the most part not there, so it's not Virgin Steele. Exorcist is not Virgin Steele any more than Piledriver or Original Sin is.
Helstar wrote:What was unknown is that they didn't do it for easy money, to ride the rising wave of thrash metal-mania. No, they were 'forced' to do that by the manager, to fullfill debts !
Oh yes I believe it :lol:
If you ponder it I think it should be obvious Defeis' answer is true or at least close to the truth. This whole thing reeks of being something invented by a guy in a suit behind a desk rather than a guy in a leather jacket in a rehearsal room. This was business as usual for Cobra Records seeing how many metalploitation "bands" they released. Just look at how they replaced the song writing team and all the instrumentalists between the first and second Piledriver album but kept the band name and same singer to make it look like it was a band. Clearly Cobra Records business. Virgin Steele were signed to Cobra Records and quite possibly owed them money after releasing Noble Savage.
A wrote:I know that Mordred does a fair share of interviews, how come more of them aren't posted here?
This is the only one I have that really cuts it I think. I have done plenty of other interviews with various old bands that fit the scope of Corroseum but generally stuff that is similar to what you can read elsewhere. I think both Dan and I agree The Corroseum is not a webzine and if an interview should be published here it should be something really special you can't find anywhere else.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
GJ

Post by GJ »

Good work!
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

mordred wrote: Actually, this was published largely to finish off misconceptions like this. Exorcist was not Virgin Steele, nor was there ever an intention to disguise Virgin Steele as something else for whatever reasons like it says on Metal Archives
Who cares about MA, seriously... long before internet there were metal magazines here in Italy (and probably in other countries too) which already pointed out the relation of Exorcist to Virgin Steele. Something that didn't happen with Piledriver and Original Sin.
Exorcist is not Virgin Steele any more than Piledriver or Original Sin is.
Remind me who's the one who sing on Exorcist ? :lol:
Virgin Steele were signed to Cobra Records and quite possibly owed them money after releasing Noble Savage.
Why did they owe money to Cobra rec ? It should be the opposite, no ? Come on. They tried to make some easy money. That's it, the most simple explanation is always closer to the truth.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Helstar wrote:Remind me who's the one who sing on Exorcist ? :lol:
Remind me who plays bass on Original Sin but not on Exorcist? It doesn't really matter, Defeis' involvement was just as strong in the other two albums. If anything Exorcist/Piledriver/Original Sin could be considered the same band, with equal ties to Virgin Steele.
Helstar wrote:Why did they owe money to Cobra rec ? It should be the opposite, no ? Come on. They tried to make some easy money. That's it, the most simple explanation is always closer to the truth.
That's the thing, my explanation is the simplest. Cobra Records of course financed the recording of Noble Savage, those costs are supposed to be covered by album sales, touring etc. Until costs are covered the band is in debt.

It's quite clear it was Cobra Records and not Virgin Steele who tried to make some easy money through albums like these three. The label also released the first Piledriver, the Lords of the Crimson Alliance and the Convict in similar fashion but without involvement from anybody in Virgin Steele. If anybody made any easy money from these albums it was the label and not whomever they got to write and record all these various albums. Virgin Steele's manager, not David Defeis, was one of the owners of Cobra Records...

I quite frankly can't believe you'd rather accuse musicians than a dubious label of trying to grab easy money through a scam. Don't you think David DeFeis deserves a little more respect and credibility than Cobra fu****g records? :?
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

I stand on my point, sorry. Pointing fingers to the label only doesn't work. Honestly, if they (VS) didn't want to do these "projects", they wouldn't done it. This "we owe them money, we got nothing from these albums" is a little bit fishy.
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

You obviously don't know how labels worked back then. There are plenty of bands that ended up owning money to their labels. Smaller, upcoming bands don't get payed by the label, they get a loan from them to record the album, and they're expected to pay up. If they don't sell enough they end up having a debt. That's why concerts were a more reliable money income for bands than record sales. Only big bands make real money out of albums.
mordred

Post by mordred »

Helstar wrote:I stand on my point, sorry. Pointing fingers to the label only doesn't work. Honestly, if they (VS) didn't want to do these "projects", they wouldn't done it. This "we owe them money, we got nothing from these albums" is a little bit fishy.
A couple hundred years ago you would probably have stood by your point that the earth was flat no matter what people told you. :lol:

Nobody said Defeis, Pursino & co didn't "want" to do these recordings... it was probably a much more convenient and fun way to pay off debts than to cough up money they didn't have. Point is it wasn't their idea and not their wallets that grew from it. I understand you won't care about proof or listen to reason, but just the fact that the Piledriver "band" was invented and released a metalploitation album on Cobra before anybody in VS got involved with it should be proof enough it wasn't their (VS) scheme to begin with.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Excellent !!! Thanks for this interview !!!
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

a million thanks for this!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Helstar wrote:I stand on my point, sorry. Pointing fingers to the label only doesn't work. Honestly, if they (VS) didn't want to do these "projects", they wouldn't done it. This "we owe them money, we got nothing from these albums" is a little bit fishy.
A lot more "fishy" shit went down with other record labels in the 80's then with Cobra Records. I don't find DeFeis explanation of the three "side projects" that hard to believe granted the other dubious material that the same label put out. If you want to see pure bullshit in the metal record industry look no further then Shrapnel or New Renaissance for instance.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Now I still don't know who those women on the backcover of the Original Sin LP are. :(