Are W.A.S.P. real metal or not? POLL ADDED PLACE YOUR VOTE

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

Are W.A.S.P. real Metal or not?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:10 am

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 33

Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

omen of hate wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:Hmm, can't really say that Motorhead are the real deal when it comes to heavy metal.
I agree, they're not a metal band and they never considered themselves such as . I wonder Lemmy's reaction if you tell him that MOTORHEAD is a heavy metal band ! :D
He's probably used to it now. Most ignorant people just associate that name with the term heavy metal, whether they're actually familiar with either or not.

I never judge music on a (optical) image, but I occasionally do with musicians.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

I think affiliate Motörhead to the Metal genre should be a crime against humanity. true story.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Being around long is irrelevant if one cannot hear the music, but that's my own opinion, so yeah, carry on
daniel

Post by daniel »

I'd never think anyone has to listen to nothing but metal, I don't consider the other music I like guilty pleasures in any way, no one else's business really. Though of course it's something that is used to berate people; listen to other than whatever style is in question then it can be held against you - and the "false" thing is just breaking it down further within the genre. I might still call people posers in an offhand way, like Orchid ripping off Black Sabbath for all they can haha, but things like that are spurs of the moment mostly and being reasonable about it I still see most of it as nonsense.

Manowar or magazines talking about death to false metal etc. is simply a way for A) bands to try set themselves apart from others because obviously they want to sell more, and B) magazines supporting the bands they like. It's all linked to the "integrity" that is strived for in most walks of life. Still says it's a segregational gimmick and -most-, not all, of the time is nothing but personal opinion, not some ecstatic truth.

Record labels have never only signed original sounding acts, there has always been a "wave" that people try make money off no matter to what small or large degree - even if someone isn't in it for the money they'll still try put out stuff that will at least help them break even.

Simply see no sense in that WASP would be a gateway band... Further you could say Metallica mostly ripped off some NWOBHM bands as far as riffs go in the beginning couldn't you.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
DeathMetalWeenie

Post by DeathMetalWeenie »

Simply see no sense in that WASP would be a gateway band... Further you could say Metallica mostly ripped off some NWOBHM bands as far as riffs go in the beginning couldn't you. Quote by Daniel

Metallica ripping off there predecessors... I say no. EVEN THE MOST ORIGINAL bands are derivitive. I guess influence and true insipration are in the ears of the beholder. I am not one to ignore a band, because they have the dam near same record collection I have. Especially in Metallica's case most of there influences were my favorite bands in 1980/1981/1982.

My thing against most bands who are hard rock and heavy metal hybrids, is they sound "dated" to me. I started way early with the NWOBHM....and I just got to the point where I did not think there was POWER metal, because metal should have POWER and I did not think there was thrash metal. Because I just consider thrash metal, as heavy metal at its natural pace, at its normal pace.

When I heard something like "Kill em all" ..."Show No Mercy"...."Fistful of Metal" and ..."Bonded by Blood"....I was just like yeah, this is the way it should be, because it seemed at the time alot of hard rock was getting slower, and slower. and heavy metal was going through its golden age of extreme metal say '79 - '86.

I always hated those albums with 9 radio songs and 1 fast paced crowd pleaser. I like bands who did 9 face melting crunchers with one song for the radio.

....I do remember poor WASP being picked on by the P.M.R.C...I think they were in a classification of the filthy 15 or filthy 50....Thanks for the want list for many of rockers and metallers, back then !!!!!! I thought it was funny on person on that PMRC thing was called GORE :P
daniel

Post by daniel »

If you say Metallica never ripped off riffs you're simply ignortant, regardless of how long you've listened to metal :/ When it's about obviosuly re-writing riffs at whatever speed there is no argument. I still love early Metallica but I don't try contend they are exceedingly original - There's always a difference between embracing a certain atmosphere and reworking riffs... And when it comes to Motörhead, please...

Ok, you keep referencing the most common albums possible... All the while extolling disdain for supposedly inferior acts that really aren't that far removed musically. I'm sure you like lots of more underground stuff as well and this is just for convenience, but really; is this helping get the point across? You're being very selective of what is "true" and "fast" and I don't quite see why... Would you loose something by admitting that perhaps your narrow view of what is right or wrong isn't absolute? It's like arguing whether Liege Lord or Iron Maiden are better... Plus what exactly is "extreme metal" in '79...? NWOBHM was comprised of like 70% hard rock crap really - even if I enjoy some of that it still wasn't metal and your enthusiastic mention of the genre really doesn't fit with your criticism of WASP.
daniel

Post by daniel »

You mean Tipper Gore, Al Gore's wife... :/
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

daniel wrote:You mean Tipper Gore, Al Gore's wife... :/
Or as he's called in metal circles All Gore.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

This thread is funny. It all boils down to one question: "what is Heavy Metal?" Once that is defined, you can start leaving out the bands that aren't.

According to Wikipedia, Heavy Metal is

"...a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States. With roots in blues rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness. Heavy metal lyrics and performance styles are generally associated with masculinity and machismo..."

Well I can't see any mention of "true" or "false" here in the first place. This is just the posturing rhetoric of youth and can be found everywhere. Secondly, I don't see how a style of music can be defined in terms of whether it is created to make money. Black Sabbath didn't make music for money? Give me a break. Paganini wasn't true to music because he made money off it? Come on!!

edit: wrote a load more but deleted it.
Le fjump

Post by Le fjump »

My steel isn´t true and that makes me a sad panda...
mordred

Post by mordred »

Al Gore wouldn't listen to W.A.S.P. if it wasn't metal, he knows his shit
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

Al Gore wouldn't listen to W.A.S.P. if it wasn't metal, he knows his shit
Hmmmmmmmm......... :roll:
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

mordred wrote:Al Gore wouldn't listen to W.A.S.P. if it wasn't metal, he knows his shit
Yeah, they're really raw!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
daniel

Post by daniel »

More evidence of the famous terrible French sense of humour...