707 Inches Of Swedish Steel

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
DaN
Administructor

707 Inches Of Swedish Steel

Post by DaN »

OK, let's hear what possible additions/corrections/comments you might come up with. All help will be credited :)
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Hell Yeah! Fuckin' great attempt Dan! There must at least 10-15 bands i'm not familiar with and that short reviews make it more easy to search the ones i'm really interested in! OK, time for some comments now (i wish i had some additions as well :( )

1) Let's not be thrifty and give that fifth sword to Nattsvart. This 7'' is simply a howler. I'd probably steal this sword from Onyx: 2 great tunes, a decent one and an awful one. And that's not flawless.
2) In no way i can agree with Paradize. A 1 out 5 swords is enough for me.
3) Victim have a Very flat vocalist. Music is pretty cool, but the vocals ruin the whole attempt. 2/5
4) Dead right about Shakespeare. Not a mastepiece, eerie sound. 3/5 is ok.
5)Gotham city: Well, i think i must fuck off myself twice 'cause i find both songs uninteresting. GC never were my favorite Swedish band anyway.
6) The Wildness 7'' is excellent IMO. 1st song is more speedy and metallic, but Dreams is also a great melodic melancholic tune and it's still metal. 4/5 for this one.
7)I'd give Jackwave one more sword. Heavy melodic metal with a superb 80s feel. 8)
8 )The 1st Sergeant song is a small Black Sabbath rip-off but generally the 7'' is worthy. Catchy metal sank deep into Nwobhm. I'll steal one sword though. 3/5
9)Dead right once again about Highbrow. Lame stinky 7''. Fuck it.
10) There's no 10th comment. Enough for the time being. See you later.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

1) Let's not be thrifty and give that fifth sword to Nattsvart. This 7'' is simply a howler. I'd probably steal this sword from Onyx: 2 great tunes, a decent one and an awful one. And that's not flawless.
2) In no way i can agree with Paradize. A 1 out 5 swords is enough for me.
3) Victim have a Very flat vocalist. Music is pretty cool, but the vocals ruin the whole attempt. 2/5
4) Dead right about Shakespeare. Not a mastepiece, eerie sound. 3/5 is ok.
5)Gotham city: Well, i think i must fuck off myself twice 'cause i find both songs uninteresting. GC never were my favorite Swedish band anyway.
6) The Wildness 7'' is excellent IMO. 1st song is more speedy and metallic, but Dreams is also a great melodic melancholic tune and it's still metal. 4/5 for this one.
7)I'd give Jackwave one more sword. Heavy melodic metal with a superb 80s feel.
8 )The 1st Sergeant song is a small Black Sabbath rip-off but generally the 7'' is worthy. Catchy metal sank deep into Nwobhm. I'll steal one sword though. 3/5
9)Dead right once again about Highbrow. Lame stinky 7''. Fuck it.
10) There's no 10th comment. Enough for the time being. See you later.
1. The only thing keeping me from giving NATTSVART a full 5 rating is that I find the songs just a wee bit too simple. Personally I'd rate both the 1st and the last song on ONYX higher. To each his own I guess. They're still 2 of Sweden's finest.

2. What can I say - I'm a sucker for melodic guitar harmonies and PARADIZE had them in spades. Great vocal melodies too.

3. Yes, the vocals of VICTIM are crap, but in a sort of charming Ola Ohlsson-way. I guess understanding the words make them more tolerable.

5. :shock: "BLASPHEMER! STONE HIM!!"

7. Had the JACKWAVE B-side only been slightly more interesting I'd agree with you, but now it sounds like they're not trying hard enough.

8. Never noticed the BS rip-off but I haven't listen much to the later Sabbath stuff. Which song?
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote:
8. Never noticed the BS rip-off but I haven't listen much to the later Sabbath stuff. Which song?
Well, i think it was Sabbath bloody Sabbath's vocal lines that had been the *ahem* influence.
mordred

Post by mordred »

PUBLIKFÖRAKT AB HAS A PICTURE SLEEVE?! FUCK IT!
Another title to re-add to my want list then. I will read the stuff through carefully in the next few days and give some feedback, but at a quick glance it did at least not look disastrous. 8)
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

[quote="mordred"]PUBLIKFÖRAKT AB HAS A PICTURE SLEEVE?! FUCK IT! Another title to re-add to my want list then.[quote]

Yeah, I was as shocked as you. I guess the fact that it's hardly a killer item makes it extra annoying. I found it at punktipset.se . Patrik who runs that site and progg.se has been a great help with supplying scans and recordings.

Btw, you got a pm at the swedenrock board.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Two thumbs up :wink: Now I know the Ambush 7" is worth getting. Time to update my wantlist.
Long Live The Loud !!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I can't be the only one who has noticed the small ''loan'' from SLAYER on HELS Birth, can I? If so, time to dust your Show no mercy LP! By the way, a very cool 7'' with a bloody creepy semi-doomy metal sound. Surely not a masterpiece, but you really wish all those hundreds of obscure 7''/12''/24''/36'' etc. had half the quality of HELS.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

ION BRITTON wrote:I can't be the only one who has noticed the small ''loan'' from SLAYER on HELS Birth, can I?
Ha ha! Never thought of that before. Yes, the lead riff is pretty similar to "Face The Slayer".

Have you heard the 2 HELS trax from the "Klipp Rock" compilation? I uploaded them on the Miskatonic board a while back. Once I've fixed the CDR-drive on my computer I'll upload some more of that 7" and compilations material here.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Nope. Haven't heard 'em. Are they really better than the ones of the 7''?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I'd say they're both better songs, but they're not Doom Metal at all. Classic HM high above the average, especially "Living Dead".

The best song on that compilation is however "Love is a Game" by STEEL ARROWS 8)
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Dan, I remember you wrote somewhere about IQ ZERO. I don't remember if it was on ''707 inches...'' or on the Swedish compilations topic. Do you like this band? I have a two-track demo of them. They remind me a little bit of PARASITE without being so epic and chilly of course. Let me know if you or anybody else need this demo.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

ION BRITTON wrote:Dan, I remember you wrote somewhere about IQ ZERO. I don't remember if it was on ''707 inches...'' or on the Swedish compilations topic. Do you like this band? I have a two-track demo of them. They remind me a little bit of PARASITE without being so epic and chilly of course. Let me know if you or anybody else need this demo.
They were featured on an old Pang Records compilation with the fantastic "Murderer" and the decent "Evil". Are these the songs you have or 2 different ones? More IQ ZERO would would be awesome! I phoned one of the old members a few years ago but he was unsure if they ever made any other recordings.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:Dan, I remember you wrote somewhere about IQ ZERO. I don't remember if it was on ''707 inches...'' or on the Swedish compilations topic. Do you like this band? I have a two-track demo of them. They remind me a little bit of PARASITE without being so epic and chilly of course. Let me know if you or anybody else need this demo.
They were featured on an old Pang Records compilation with the fantastic "Murderer" and the decent "Evil". Are these the songs you have or 2 different ones? More IQ ZERO would would be awesome! I phoned one of the old members a few years ago but he was unsure if they ever made any other recordings.
These are the ones i have. I'm not sure though whether they're demo versions or not 'cause i haven't heard that Pang compilation. But they must be ripped straight from compilation as it seems.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I'm almost certain they're the same versions since they apparently never recorded any other demos. I uploaded them at Miskatonic a while back so my rips should probably have spread out by now.