"Metal from Hellas" Documentary with English Subs

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Ra Pariah

"Metal from Hellas" Documentary with English Subs

Post by Ra Pariah »

100+ minutes of full metal documentary!! Very nice music and some really interesting interviews! Don't miss this diamond!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0yMg6bQDZ0

STAY METAL!
All through the night steel by your side
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

cool! ill check it out tonight
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

Amazing stuff.
daniel

Post by daniel »

This is really great, thanks :D
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

Fantastic!!!!
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I'll give this a watch when I have the time.

I can't say that with much excitement though because generally I find the greek scene rather lackluster.

Thanks for the link.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
GJ

Post by GJ »

Interesting stuff!
Ra Pariah

Post by Ra Pariah »

Thanx guys for your positive feedback!

Let me give you some information about this effort: "Metal from Hellas" is in fact the Nikos' (frontman of the speed/thrash metal band Convixion) master thesis for his university department. He was studying audio engeeniring and he decided for this university exercise to combine business with pleasure! So don't think of a professional documentary organized by a TV station or something like that.. "Metal from Hellas" is a video that emerges from the endless metal lust of two or three guys.

Finally, I would like to write here my personal opinion: many people in the greek fora are kind of skeptic about this film. They think that it is "cult" and not informative or that its scope is limited.. There have been said a lot more accusations but I don't want to waste my time.. Ok, maybe some huge black/death metal bands are not included, but do not forget that it comes from a guy who is classic metaller and he is not interested so much in the extreme metal. Nontheless, Nikos tried to contact even with Rotting Christ, but they were very busy at that time. No one hinders the greek black metal aficionados to produce their own documentary. I guarantee that it will be also very interesting stuff. We should not demand inculpable objectivity from a guy who decides to make a search about his beloved musical genre.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Who's Rotting Christ? :lol:

Cool info, I saw Convixion opening for Procession and Brocas Helm in Stockholm and was very positively surprised (had never heard them before). Nikos was a really good front man - Plni Energie the Czechs would say.
Ra Pariah

Post by Ra Pariah »

GJ wrote:Who's Rotting Christ? :lol:
Well, they are a greek black metal band with ten or eleven albums.. Their Satanas Tedeum demo has been re-issued by five or six different companies etc. They are a legend for the greek scene.
GJ

Post by GJ »

I'm bad at those evil things. Knew the name though.
daniel

Post by daniel »

I quite like Rotting Christ's Current 93 cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUkUfsYMiok

The documentary is brilliant and inspiring, it is so much more interesting and in-depth than any 'big money' production I can recall, people should be watching things like this instead of totally naive garbage like 'A Headbangers Journey'. Screw the Black and Death stuff, seriously, like that isn't big enough already - goddamn negativity.

So many good things, great stories, Angelo Perlepes, Rust video, Vavel, Greg, lots of US metal in the background :D The brief clip from the tape Aggelos Georgiopoulos did, 'Fire and Ice', is pure gold, I'd love to see the whole thing!!!

Avenger should watch it to see Greg is actually a good guy ;)
GJ

Post by GJ »

Either he'll realize that or he'll inform the Greek tax department.
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

I watch this yesterday.Good for a watch.

Boring to see some people trying to think what's wrong and Greek scene don't go further(i don't want mainstream).Or trying to prove that we are something different as metal goes.Hey that things describing happened in every European country in 80's so what's the difference?

BLIND JUSTICE,MACEDON HARRIERS,FLAMES,NIGEL FOXXE'S INC.(the biggest personality of greek heavy metal absent in this documentary),SARISSA(the demo) and other demo bands don't mentioned or a little.

I think the whole documentary refered to Athens and Thessaloniki.

Wrong thing also is trying to convince us that we are wrong because we hear cds or mp3 or we don't wait one month to hear a record.

I don't agree also that greek metal is underrated at all,the opposite as many known old bands from Greece.As for new greek metal(after 1999) i don't like.

Underrated whereas are some old greek metal bands that recorded some demos mostly in 80's.
daniel

Post by daniel »

One complaint:

Bringing up the point of 'women in metal' was handled poorly. If the producers felt a need to bring it up at all they should have done it in a more versatile way instead of the utterly stereotypical one presented; in doing this it showed the same attitude the mainstream purposedly treats 'real' metal fans to.