Bands everyone loves but you hate

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Deathmaster

Post by Deathmaster »

Deep Switch- I just find this band to be annoying.
This one may be controversial but everyone is obsessed with Slough Feg, and I do admit that they have a hand full of KILLER songs, but overall, a lot of their folky stuff makes me want to scream, not in a good way either.
Oh, I cant stand AC/DC, and I'm sure I'm gonna get shit for this one, but I've never seen the greatness in Thin Lizzy. Sooo many other 70's bands that kill them. Ok, let the beheading begin!
Last edited by Deathmaster on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Deathmaster wrote:Deep Switch- I just find this band to be annoying.
This one may be controversial but everyone is obsessed with Slough Feg, and I do admit that they have a hand full of KILLER songs, but overall, a lot of their folky stuff makes me want to scream, not in a good way either.
Oh, I cant stand AC/DC, and I'm sure I'm gonna get shit for this one, but I've never seen the greatness in Thin Lizzy. Sooo many other 70's bands that kill them. Ok, let the beheading begin!
Deep Switch is hit and miss, their track Poison Lake is awesome though. SLOUGH FEG and THIN LIZZY rule!! AHH!!

AC/DC though... :wink:
reindeerattack666

Post by reindeerattack666 »

My tastes lean toward the epic -- old school power metal, epic heavy metal, epic doom, and power/thrash. I like a fair number of black metal bands, but they also tend to be epic sounding (e.g., early Abigor, later Immortal, Dissection, Belenos), and bear little resemblance to 80s black metal. At any rate, here are some bands that I SHOULD like, given my tastes, but don't.

Grave Digger, Omen, Ironsword, Rebellion, Battlerage -- I can't stand the low-register gruff vocal style of these three bands. I generally dislike low-pitched vocals in metal, clean or harsh. (I hate death metal vocals but am fine with black metal vocals, so go figure.)

Battleroar - vocals are too operatic. He sings like a eunuch.

Cirith Ungol -- Really bizarre stuff. Maybe it will grow on me if I give it a chance, but I've been repelled by the one or two songs I've heard.

Manowar -- Musically, these guys aren't anything impressive, and are more of a parody of epic metal than epic metal proper.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

reindeerattack666 wrote:Cirith Ungol -- Really bizarre stuff. Maybe it will grow on me if I give it a chance, but I've been repelled by the one or two songs I've heard.

Manowar -- Musically, these guys aren't anything impressive, and are more of a parody of epic metal than epic metal proper.
:evil:

Epic is not your game. Next thing you know you'll say you hate Brocas Helm.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

please check out cirith ungol more than 1-2 songs.
Herkus Monte

Post by Herkus Monte »

reindeerattack666 wrote:My tastes lean toward the epic -- old school power metal, epic heavy metal, epic doom, and power/thrash. I like a fair number of black metal bands, but they also tend to be epic sounding (e.g., early Abigor, later Immortal, Dissection, Belenos), and bear little resemblance to 80s black metal. At any rate, here are some bands that I SHOULD like, given my tastes, but don't.

Grave Digger, Omen, Ironsword, Rebellion, Battlerage -- I can't stand the low-register gruff vocal style of these three bands. I generally dislike low-pitched vocals in metal, clean or harsh. (I hate death metal vocals but am fine with black metal vocals, so go figure.)

Battleroar - vocals are too operatic. He sings like a eunuch.

Cirith Ungol -- Really bizarre stuff. Maybe it will grow on me if I give it a chance, but I've been repelled by the one or two songs I've heard.

So what kind of vocals do you like in epic metal?
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Led Zeppelin

Sabbath with Dio

Toxic Holocaust

Municipal Waste

Inquisition

Watain (I don't hate them, but they are over rated for sure)

Thergothon

Cynic

Atheist

Short-haired Bruce Dickinson :lol:

Etc.
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

Motley Crue :lol:
reindeerattack666

Post by reindeerattack666 »

Herkus Monte wrote: So what kind of vocals do you like in epic metal?
Higher register Dickinson style vocals or Candlemass/Solitude Aeturnus style vocals.
Black Axe wrote: Epic is not your game. Next thing you know you'll say you hate Brocas Helm.
No, I actually do like them, probably in spite of their vocals and not because of them. Even though they aren't my favorite type of vocals, they don't actively annoy me in the way that that of Ironsword does. I also like Manilla Road, Slough Feg and Viking era Bathory, although it took awhile to get used to the vocal style of the first two. However, my favorite style of vocals are that of early Blind Guardian, Adramelch, Agent Steel, Helstar, Abattoir, Flotsam and Jetsam, etc.

Again, not all of what I like falls squarely within the Epic metal genre, but most of it has an epic quality to it.
Last edited by reindeerattack666 on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.K.

Post by J.K. »

Darksider wrote:Motley Crue :lol:

Haha

It's the contrary. 8)
"We do what we do, and we put it out, if you want to buy it, buy it.
if you dont, fuck off." -Lemmy Kilmister

http://www.myspace.com/blackhammerftw
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

OK I'm gonna crank a 'Red Hot' now for all you Crue haters and let it sweep 50% of your private US metal rarities :twisted:
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fire Down Under

Post by Fire Down Under »

ION BRITTON wrote:OK I'm gonna crank a 'Red Hot' now for all you Crue haters and let it sweep 50% of your private US metal rarities :twisted:
the best MC song!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Fire Down Under wrote:the best MC song!
2nd best for me. "Take Me To The Top" is my favorite!

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
AndyWhite

Post by AndyWhite »

Tyrant (us)
(Sorry ION). I can't stand the random falsetto screams, and the production and playing sounds so sloppy.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

:(