Strana Officina

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Sentinel

Strana Officina

Post by The Sentinel »

This Italian band has released a LP box set:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Musica-CD-e-Vinili_D ... 0071474153

Is this worth getting? I never heard this band. Is it comparable to other Italian acts?
Long Live The Loud !!!
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I'd say yes. May lean slightly on Prog, esp. earlier stuffs.
I am ... the One you warned me of
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The Ritual EP = Top-5 italian steel

the rest, slightly above average
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

which is not bad, after all. and the package looks neat. Darn my shallow wallet.
I am ... the One you warned me of
BlackStele

Re: Strana Officina

Post by BlackStele »

The Sentinel wrote:This Italian band has released a LP box set:

http://cgi.ebay.it/Musica-CD-e-Vinili_D ... 0071474153

Is this worth getting? I never heard this band. Is it comparable to other Italian acts?
Yes, it's worth purchasing tis gem, Strana Officina is a great band! You can check some of their tracks at: http://profile.myspace.com/stranaofficina
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Curious band to make a collection box of..
Still, I've heard one of those MLPs and remember liking it a lot. Surprisingly good stuff for being mentioned so seldom.

Buying the box v/s hunting down originals? I guess it depends on the quality of that compilation of unreleased material. If someone pick this up, let's hear some words on it.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The Rock'n'Roll Prisoners album is up on Vibrations Of Doom.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

ION BRITTON wrote:The Ritual EP = Top-5 italian steel

the rest, slightly above average
True!! 8) The Ritual EP has 4 hymns.Who cares after all about their other newer or older other releases?

This EP must be heard,a top 10 Italian item!
Forget the shitty package!
Last edited by Fucking Åmål on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Cheers for the info guys, guess I have to hunt once again :D
Long Live The Loud !!!
Nonseinormale65

Post by Nonseinormale65 »

The Box contains all the three official lp reissued on vinyl,but most important is the fourth lp,it contains some unreleased material with their first singer(Johnny Salani)and some primordial version singed in italian of stuff then released in english on their lp's(the songs goes from 1979 to 1985);most important in Italy when we think about the symbols of italian metal we think of Strana Officina(as in Spain for Baron Rojo i guess :wink: ),because they were prime movers,in concert they used to sing in italian also the english stuff,because of their humanity,because of their struggle for HM through the years(be a metal band in the 80' in Italy was not easy at all!),always ready to help other italian bands and so on,in 1993 the tragedy,Brothers Cappanera died in a car crash(on coming back home after a reharseal),and some gigs where done to remember their memory including the young Rolando and Dario(son and nephew of Cappanera's brothers),then new and old members followed their own road until the reunion in 2006 headlining the festival Gods of Metal,recording an Lp(The Faith,rerecording old tracks plus some unreleased material),on march 2010 a new album is expected(just finished the recording session).

STRANA OFFICINA,italian metal legend!!!
Solo i morti hanno visto la fine della guerra.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

I've seen Strana Officina 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years, playing here in my town or in the nearby.

Surprisingly, they are one of the few bands that is getting heavier and better with time. They sound way more aggressive and heavier now than 25 years ago. Of course the line-up is 50% renewed (due to the tragic passing of the 2 Cappaneras) but it's a real pleasure to watch and hear them now. Like an old precious wine, they become better and better with time.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Is this box still possible to find from any dealer? Help.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

GJ wrote:Is this box still possible to find from any dealer? Help.
I'm sure I've seen copies at the KIT metal market. Have you checked High Roller, Hellion, Iron Force etc? I think Repulsive Rec had it too a while back...

I recently completed the Original Vinyls collection with the "Rock'n'Roll Prisoner" LP and I must say it's really quite good - bordering on Great!

Now I'm crossing my fingers that 4th LP in the box will get released separately - buying the whole thing for just this one feels a bit overambitious..
Nonseinormale65

Post by Nonseinormale65 »

GJ wrote:Is this box still possible to find from any dealer? Help.
Here in Italy is still easily available(1400 copies were made),why don't you try to contact their label at www.mygraveyardproductions.com/ ?

P.S. @Dan,the fourth LP will never see the light separately :wink: (even if some months ago the label that issued the box set splitted some boxes and sold the singles lp one by one here in Italy...and Strana Officina didn't feel happy :twisted: );remember that this box contains also rare photos and poster of the early years(anyway,i ripped on cd the rare and unreleased tracks,i'll give you a copy at next KIT,ok?).
Solo i morti hanno visto la fine della guerra.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Thanks for the tips! I've already checked Hellion and High Roller with no success, Iron Force was news to me.