Unknown NWOBHM-singles?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
hload

Post by hload »

steelegacy wrote:Yes, i saw that Firebird cover sleeve you mentioned,but Malc had shown me this cover with the lyrics written on it.Was it the inner sleeve???i remember that he told me that it was another cover sleeve for that single.
ase ta peh kai piase ta eph,reeeeeeeeeee..... :D
boris

Post by boris »

nightsblood wrote:That Firebird single is pretty cool; you're right that it has a cool atmosphere that makes up for it not being overly heavy. I think most copies came without a sleeve, though some had that weird sleeve showing a woman's body with a mouse's head on it (or something weird like that).

Never heard of the Nightrider single but from your description it sounds very promising.
I have an original Nightrider single from 1979 called Gruesome Girls (on the Wessex label), if it's the same one it doesn't sound much like Sweet Savage.
steelegacy

Post by steelegacy »

no,its not
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I must admit to not having read the encyclopedia, but did CONFESSOR ever release anything besides that track on the "Metallic Storm"-compilation? If they did, i'd love to hear it!
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Khnud wrote:I must admit to not having read the encyclopedia, but did CONFESSOR ever release anything besides that track on the "Metallic Storm"-compilation? If they did, i'd love to hear it!
Don't know about actual releases, but I've read about either a demo or a radio session. Not sure though.
Fixater

Steve Crowther Band - SMK records 1982

Post by Fixater »

Great to hear people talking about the Steve Crowther band.
I have a copy of the 7" of My Machine / Red Herring as I play with the guitarist on that single Kevin Prockter.

tearitup1234 wrote:Some interesting stuff Boris, always glad to hear of new nwobhm out there. Any chance of posting mp3's of the Stever Crowther Band and Sweet Revenge 7 inches? If you can't no problem, just thought I would ask.
From_the_Fjords

Post by From_the_Fjords »

Hi Fixater,
nice to meet you again.
I'm Paolo; we have a mail exchange in the last days;

I hope to find this record one day...
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Neat flyer!

Seems like a lot of folks are looking for this single now.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Fixater

Post by Fixater »

Cheers Paolo! - I asked the guitarist Kevin if any promo material existed of this band and this is what he gave me to scan. There is so little info about that project that it made sense to share with those that are interested.
He had a whole box of those singles until a few years ago when a mystery chap bought them all there and then. That's quite something isn't it?

The single was produced by Mo Witham in 1982 and whilst other songs existed, I don't know if any others were recorded at that time but I will try and find out. Maybe somebody should dig out the master tapes and put it out on CD, or does that completely defeat object?
nightsblood wrote:Neat flyer!

Seems like a lot of folks are looking for this single now.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Fixater wrote:Maybe somebody should dig out the master tapes and put it out on CD, or does that completely defeat object?
Yes, please. :P

Were there no demo's recorded?
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Hmmm, interesting that not many copies have surfaced from that box. Guess someone is holding onto them for the time being
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Traitor

Post by Traitor »

Well, I think I know who bought that box of 7"s, but now all are sold to die-hard collectors...you also Paolo should easily imagine who was the buyer :-) (no guys, not me sadly!)

ps: nice flyer! quite exactly as the 'Whinging Album' compilation cover artwork!
no hope, no fear
Fixater

Post by Fixater »

Ciao Paolo,

I have some good news - the drummer has a copy he might be able to sell you. Can I pass your email on to him and you can arrange it?
I think your search might be over...

Cheers,

Rob

From_the_Fjords wrote:Hi Fixater,
nice to meet you again.

From_the_Fjords

Post by From_the_Fjords »

Fixater wrote:Ciao Paolo,

I have some good news - the drummer has a copy he might be able to sell you. Can I pass your email on to him and you can arrange it?
I think your search might be over...

Cheers,

Rob

From_the_Fjords wrote:Hi Fixater,
nice to meet you again.

yes! thanks!
lynx

Post by lynx »

boris wrote: Penetrations - Coming To You. I remember it to be pretty impressive.
Aren't you confusing it with the Penetration "Come Into the Open" 7" or "Coming Up for Air" album. Penetration was a 1970s punk band (they reformed though) with lots of metal/progressive influences, listen to "Stone Heroes" or "Future Daze" for metal off the first album. Far from obscure, although there's a lot more punks than metalheads that know about this band.

One band that seems sort of similar is Zorro. Their 7" has 2 punk numbers, then the last song is more like nwobhm, way too much progressive influence to be punk, although they seem to be categorised as nwobhm on the internet, I haven't personally heard any other songs by them to say what kind of band it was. Another funny thing is that everyone posts the back cover for the 7", I've never seen the front.