Copycat Bands You Like

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
nightsblood

Copycat Bands You Like

Post by nightsblood »

As I've gotten older, I have less and less tolerance for bands that just ape the sound/image of those who came before. This doesn't mean I dismiss every band that isn't wholly original, it just means I don't really need to hear the 30th band who have tried to copy RUNNING WILD.
But there are always exceptions. Sometimes the apprentice truly is worthy. A couple of 'em that i like, though probably shouldn't:

Orchid 'Capricorn'
Yes, this is just blatant Black Sabbath worship. Same song structures, same vocal style, hell, even the song titles are blatant rip-offs os 'Sabbath titles and lyrics. these are the type of whipper-snappers I should be yelling at to get off my turntable. Buuuuuut, dammit I like this album! It is REALLY good 'Sabbath worship. it's not corny or cheesy, it doesn't feel forced at all, and it just hits all the right buttons to be really fun to groove to while driving. I've heard a little bit of their other output and it sounds similarly good.
Let's face it, it's been a loooooong time since Ozzy and Tony made a really great record together. And they're not gonna make any more. So while this may be a ripoff, it's a really good one, and it fits into the void left by the original masters of reality. If I don't feel like jamming one of the first few BS albums, I'm happy to jam this instead.

Stormwarrior 's/t'
It's just 'Walls of Jericho'. Blatantly, unashamedly, 'Walls of Jericho'. Nothing new at all. But you know what? I fucking love 'Walls of Jericho'! You know what else? Helloween didn't really record much in that vein; after the EP and WoJ they added Kiske and shifted into the (godly) Keepers albums. Much as I love Keepers, I always wondered "what if Kai had kept singing and they made another album like 'Walls of Jericho'?". Well now I know and it's glorious!
This band offers nothing new 9later albums stray more towards RUNNING WILD) but they're really, really good at playing classic German power/speed metal. Even when their contemporaries bore me, these guys are great. I was lucky enough to see them play here in the US several years ago- killer show!

OK, someone else's turn....
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
ION BRITTON

Re: Copycat Bands You Like

Post by ION BRITTON »

INSANE - WAIT AND PRAY!!!

edit:

+
APOKALYPTIC RAIDS
WARHAMMER
Last edited by ION BRITTON on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Blazon Stone - Return To Port Royal
Yeah, this is more RUNNING WILD than RUNNING WILD themselves. I'm pretty sure Rolf dreams of having written this album. If you don't feel like swinging your bottle 'o rum to the sound of this intro, there's something fucking wrong with you.
[youtube]-rNeMYOhDnM[/youtube]

Asomvel
You can choose any of their albums, 'cause they all sound like MOTÖRHEAD. But lately they've managed to bring an even more accurate incarnation of Lemmy into their line up when the son of the guitar player decided to start using his Rickenbacker and vocal cords just like the legend himself.
[youtube]u5Vwv_ce2tY[/youtube]
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Aaaand who can forget the almost complete imitation of the early 80's era RUSH as witnessed on "Celestial Messenger" by TRYTAN? I wonder how many would fail a blind test thinking this is actually Geddy Lee singing, but it's not. GREAT record!
[youtube]JhWZIX3y7Z8[/youtube]
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

[youtube]PYqGqESq1Jk[/youtube]

Talking about Running Wild clones, Cast Iron came pretty close to the early sound of the german metal masters.

\m/
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Been listening to the self-titled 1976 debut album by PARIS a lot lately which absolutely reeks of LED ZEPPELIN.
Whilst Zeppelin is a band i'm not really into, for some reason i really enjoy Paris's 'channelling' of their spirit.
Check out this dizbuster:
[youtube]-LTybSLLoBk[/youtube]
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Priamos

Post by Priamos »

[youtube]UySh4AUacyc[/youtube]

Great band but they have more similarities/"influences" with early Queensryche than it is considered "fair".

Not exactly what thread-starter had in mind, but two complete rip-offs in the same album-even from different bands- can't be considered coincidence. I'm talking about Avalanche and "Tortured Defender" (rips off "Warlord"-Manowar) and "Child of Damnation" ("Rime of the Ancient Mariner").
[youtube]2P4bj39CHvs[/youtube]
We should forgive our enemies, but not before they are hanged...
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

SHELL SHOCK - Die For Allah (Belgium)

Great Motörhead worship on this one
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Speaking of LED clones, the first RUSH album also had a strong 'odure de Zeppline' about it but wasn't at all bad. It may be the only RUSH album I still own on vinyl (never quite got into them despite numerous attmepts).
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

The Living Sacrifice debut is complete "Reign In Blood" era Slayer worship. They even mimicked the whammy bar excessive solos.

The first two Saint albums are basically what Judas Priest should have released in place of "Turbo Lover" and "Ram It Down". Outside of the lyrical content the band is a deadringer. Even released during the same years.

Trytan is another one that came to mind that was already mentioned. Didn't think I would be beaten to it.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Apparently there's supposed to be a rather new band that imitates MANOWAR pretty much down to a microscopic level. Does anyone have a clue which band this might be?
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
fengisriprider

Post by fengisriprider »

bigfootkit wrote:Been listening to the self-titled 1976 debut album by PARIS a lot lately which absolutely reeks of LED ZEPPELIN.
Whilst Zeppelin is a band i'm not really into, for some reason i really enjoy Paris's 'channelling' of their spirit.
Check out this dizbuster:
Love that album! another one like for me in the vien of good ol Zepp is Granicus!!

[youtube]B8aDc35zwVo[/youtube]
"Without the holy grail, only evil can prevail."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

fengisriprider wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:
Love that album! another one like for me in the vien of good ol Zepp is Granicus!!

[youtube]B8aDc35zwVo[/youtube]
Yep, the Granicus album is excellent too, good call.
I'd say most of the Zeppelinish elements on that one come predominantly from the singer really, as the music is far from 'soundalike'. The singer isn't too slavish in his devotion to 'Percy' though, at points he reminds me of Geddy Lee as well.
And perhaps the guy from Starcastle too, if anyone remembers them.
Just me then? Okie-doke... :oops:
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
fengisriprider

Post by fengisriprider »

My buddy Logon just got a copy of a Star Castle album the other day, reminds me the most of YES, definitely enjoyable not quite prog rock!
"Without the holy grail, only evil can prevail."
Morbid Tapes

Post by Morbid Tapes »

Avenger wrote:The Living Sacrifice debut is complete "Reign In Blood" era Slayer worship. They even mimicked the whammy bar excessive solos.
Hellbringer's Awakened from the Abyss is a total Hell Awaits-era Slayer copycat. But it's done well and I really like it.

[youtube]S35HesWIXug[/youtube]