RIOT : The Official Bootleg Box Set Volume 1 (1976-1980) 6CD Set

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

RIOT : The Official Bootleg Box Set Volume 1 (1976-1980) 6CD Set

Post by bigfootkit »

I'm not usually a huge fan of live albums, but i'm thinking i'll make an exception & get this:

RIOT : The Official Bootleg Box Set Volume 1 (1976-1980)
Six Disc Set culled from Mark Reale's Own Archives

To Be Released September 29, 2017 on Hear No Evil/Cherry Red

Riot’s story is one of what might have been, and to some degree, a band being (or not) in the right place at the right time.
What this 6 CD live collection does offer is unique, and often raw, insights into the growth and development of an influential hard rock and heavy metal band, as they graduated from small clubs in 1976 through to huge festivals in 1980.
Mastered from tapes in the collection of the estate of founder member and guitarist Mark Reale, “The Official Bootleg Box Set Volume 1” captures the band at their formative, early club stages in 1976, where much of their repertoire included songs by the bands that had influenced them, such as their covers on Montrose’s ‘I Got the Fire’, ‘Good Rockin’ Tonight’ and ‘Rock Candy’, to UFO’s ‘Shoot Shoot’ and Deep Purple’s ‘Highway Star’, included amongst Riot originals, ‘Angel’, ‘Overdrive’ and ‘Tokyo Rose’.

Track List:

DISC ONE : RED FOXX, NEW JERSEY 1976 (FIRST SET)

1. ANGEL
2. TEENAGE LOVE AFFAIR
3. DESPERATION
4. ROCK CANDY
5. SWEET FELICIA
6. ROCK CITY
7. SWEET JANE/FOX ON THE RUN/DEPARTMENT OF YOUTH (MEDLEY)
8. COUNTING ON YOU
9. TWENTY FLIGHT ROCK
10. I GOT THE FIRE
11. TEASER

DISC TWO : RED FOXX, NEW JERSEY 1976 (SECOND SET)

1. KEEP PLAYIN’ THAT ROCK ‘N’ ROLL
2. TEENAGE LOVE AFFAIR
3. SWEET FELICIA
4. GOOD ROCKIN’ TONIGHT
5. SHOOT SHOOT
6. COUNTING ON YOU
7. ANGEL
8. ROCK CITY
9. SWEET JANE/BE MY LOVER/FOX ON THE RUN/DEPARTMENT OF YOUTH/BASS SOLO/DRUM SOLO (MEDLEY)
10. I GOT THE FIRE (EXCERPT)

DISC THREE : THE AGORA BALLROOM, PAINESVILLE, OHIO 1978

1. ANGEL
2. OPEN FIRE
3. WHITE ROCK
4. 49ER
5. KICK DOWN THE WALL
6. OVERDRIVE
7. ROCK CITY
8. STARLINER
9. SOLOS
10. WARRIOR
11. HIGHWAY STAR

DISC FOUR : ATLANTA, GEORGIA 1980

1. ANGEL (EXCERPT)
2. WHITE ROCK
3. WAITING FOR THE TAKING
4. NARITA
5. OVERDRIVE
6. ROCK CITY
7. ROAD RACIN’ (EXCERPT)

BOSTON 20th SEPTEMBER 1980
8. WAITING FOR THE TAKING
9. OVERDRIVE

DISC FIVE : COLSTON HALL, BRISTOL 22nd APRIL 1980

1. ANGEL
2. DO IT UP
3. ROAD RACIN’
4. NARITA
5. TOYKO ROSE
6. WHITE ROCK
7. OVERDRIVE
8. ROCK CITY
9. WARRIOR

DISC SIX : MONSTERS OF ROCK FESTIVAL, CASTLE DONINGTON, 16th AUGUST 1980

1. ANGEL (EXCERPT)
2. WHITE ROCK
3. WAITING FOR THE TAKING
4. OVERDRIVE
5. ROCK CITY
6. ROAD RACIN’
7. WARRIOR

Pre-orders available from the label's website here:
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/rio ... d-box-set/
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
doomedplanet

Re: RIOT : The Official Bootleg Box Set Volume 1 (1976-1980) 6CD Set

Post by doomedplanet »

I need to buy this box set too. Early material by them live or otherwise is essential.

I guess you know High Roller has so Riot releases in there "to be released" list? :
DLP RIOT - Archives Volume 1: 1976-1981
CD RIOT - Archives Volume 1: 1976-1981
DLP RIOT - Archives Volume 2: 1982-1983
CD RIOT - Archives Volume 2: 1982-1983
DLP RIOT - Archives Volume 3: 1987-1988
CD RIOT - Archives Volume 3: 1987-1988
DLP RIOT - Archives Volume 4: 1988-1989
CD RIOT - Archives Volume 4: 1988-1989
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote:I need to buy this box set too. Early material by them live or otherwise is essential.

I guess you know High Roller has so Riot releases in there "to be released" list? :
DLP RIOT - Archives Volume 1: 1976-1981
CD RIOT - Archives Volume 1: 1976-1981
DLP RIOT - Archives Volume 2: 1982-1983
CD RIOT - Archives Volume 2: 1982-1983
DLP RIOT - Archives Volume 3: 1987-1988
CD RIOT - Archives Volume 3: 1987-1988
DLP RIOT - Archives Volume 4: 1988-1989
CD RIOT - Archives Volume 4: 1988-1989
Woah, i had no idea High Roller were doing archive Riot releases too. Must check out what's on them. Only really interested in the band in the Speranza & Forester eras, so those 1st 2 volumes will doubtless find their way into my clutches. Thanks for the tip mate!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Contents have not been announced, this has just shown up on their discography.

Of course I love the early material but the Thundersteel era I listen to a lot too. Looking forward to hearing whatever gems are unearthed.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote:Contents have not been announced, this has just shown up on their discography.
Of course I love the early material but the Thundersteel era I listen to a lot too. Looking forward to hearing whatever gems are unearthed.
Ah, that would explain why the only mention of it that i could find was a brief line on Patrick Engel's website. Looking forward to finding out what's to be included on them. I like 'Thundersteel' too, but it was such a stylistic shift that i wish they'd called themselves something else after the Forester era. I know the band's line-up was in constant flux throughout their career, but there was a break in continuity & style after 'Born In America' & i always felt the name should have been retired at that point.
It's shaping up to be an expensive Autumn for vintage Heavy Rock fans, with these 'new' releases from Riot, the unreleased TKO, deluxe editions of the 1st two Montrose albums & a new UFO album all due.
bobo

Post by bobo »

Glad to see two box sets of Riot with archive stuff out. It's just a shame that Narita demo won't be included on either. :(
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

YAAAAWN, cough, cough, grumble, grumble....... oh, hmmmm, eh? Time to crawl out of the cave is it? Oooookaaay.....

Just saw this on the HR list, which I hardly ever look at (no ich bin ein speken und German).
While VERY interested in this, I'm also hesitant to pick it up. I've gotten a handful (or two) of old RIOT shows over the years via tape-trading and the like, and the sound quality is almost universally VERY rough. The set lists can also induce headaches, with sets being relatively short and missing tunes that are among my favorites while including some of the same tracks over and over (and over and.... you get the point). So while RIOT is likely among my five mostest favoriteist bands ever, I am not convinced that I need another pile of shitty-sounding live shows. And while the revealed track lists look pretty good this time, they're also pretty redundant; White Rock, Rock City, Overdrive, and Warrior are on 4 of the 6 discs. I've never been someone who needs to hear every single live take of a song, even when it's a great song by a great band.
For now I think I'll sit on my wallet. Maybe if some reviews note that the sound quality is really good it'll prompt me into action.
OK, that's it for me. Someone come knock on the cave door when someone finally unearths a green vinyl copy of that damn Crucifixion EP.....
Last edited by nightsblood on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Shimrod

Post by Shimrod »

The sound is not very good indeed.

Here is a review I found about the different shows: http://www.popculturebeast.com/album-re ... 1976-1980/
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

I'm thinking of buying both boxes. Unfortunately for the track list described for box II, there is nothing from Born in America or Thundersteel :(