Damn the Machine - The Story of Noise Records Book

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Avenger

Re: Damn the Machine - The Story of Noise Records Book

Post by Avenger »

I'm still trying to figure out why they want $30 CDN for a paperback book?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Avenger wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why they want $30 CDN for a paperback book?
I dare to say bcs it's a new book and it has 500+ pages. Almost a tome. Dreaming to get both versions, alas not this year.
I am ... the One you warned me of
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I had a chance to spend a few hours reading the copy a friend of mine bought. I didn't find it especially enlightening and since the coverage was of the high profile bands and the stories of the label owner and his background, I got bored with it very quickly. He did not come across as a very interesting personality, just a businessman making money off metal instead of a person that was truly passionate about the music.

There is some comment he makes about there is nothing interesting going on in metal these days and how all the bands at festivals are just filled with old men, so obvious he is completely out of touch with the thriving worldwide metal underground.

I'm glad I did not bother to buy a copy. Instead I'll hope an expanded edition of the Malc NWOBHM book comes out some day.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

doomedplanet wrote:There is some comment he makes about there is nothing interesting going on in metal these days and how all the bands at festivals are just filled with old men, so obvious he is completely out of touch with the thriving worldwide metal underground.
Isn't it a fact that most reunions consist of tired old men who can barely sing, play their instruments and perform with a passion the music they wrote 30 years ago; Or that you can hardly call most of them a reunion since 1 or 2 original members appear and the rest are just some random guys that fill the spot of missing members and simply go through the motions; 8/10 reunions fit that description. A very recent example was one of my all-time favorites, Tyrant and their performance at UTH fest. It was downright embarrassing to watch that thing and at some point I even felt ashamed to be a fan of their music. Bands like Cirith Ungol are the exception, not the rule.

As for the worldwide metal scene nowadays, I beg to differ. I can use many terms to describe it, but 'thriving' ain't one of them for sure. For every Macabre Omen Gods of war - at war that's put out, you get another ton of soulless, recycled and uninspired crap, or even worse, stuff like Quayed Lahue.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
borrel

Post by borrel »

As far as I know a expanded/updated version of the NWOBHM book will be out later this year.
msp

Post by msp »

ION BRITTON wrote: As for the worldwide metal scene nowadays, I beg to differ. I can use many terms to describe it, but 'thriving' ain't one of them for sure.
I disagree, sales of aviator sunglasses and high top trainers are at an all time high. That, along with an increase of 1980's speed metal moustaches being sported clearly indicate a thriving scene.....

:P :roll:
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

msp wrote:speed metal moustache
:)
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Well yes you can go to a festival and see old bands reuniting, some good, some bad, as expected. To me he is completely out of touch with young bands making new music.

Macabre Omen: I have no interest in black metal so I won't comment on if they are good or bad. Not going to get in a fight over musical taste. I'm completely happy with the hundreds of lps, EP's and demos I have bought over the last years by new bands on small labels or privately released. Many of them just need the push of a big label to make it to bigger exposure. Though maybe they are better off these days doing it their own way, what with all the stories of big labels raping bands financially.
GulliverFoyle

Post by GulliverFoyle »

msp wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote: As for the worldwide metal scene nowadays, I beg to differ. I can use many terms to describe it, but 'thriving' ain't one of them for sure.
I disagree, sales of aviator sunglasses and high top trainers are at an all time high. That, along with an increase of 1980's speed metal moustaches being sported clearly indicate a thriving scene.....

:P :roll:

Aviator's lp is probably my all time favorite AOR disc. 8)
Another lonely night, another no name town
it starts to look the same, it starts to bring me down
so many promises you knew I'd never keep
I'll make it up to you, baby, don't give up on me