Cirith Ungol returns!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

Re: Cirith Ungol returns!

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:Around that time Iron Maiden toured the States supporting 38 Special & the combination made perfect sense to audiences and bookers alike.
Wow, was that after TNOTB or POM was released?
It was on 38 Special's 'Special Forces Tour' which ran from May to December of 1982, and they even had a joint tour-t-shirt which featured a backprint design with the crossed union & confederate flags.
The third band on the bill was the underrated Texan group Point Blank. Guitar heaven indeed!
Maiden also did gigs that year with Aldo Nova, UFO, Scorpions, Foreigner, Judas Priest, Rainbow, The Rods, Blackfoot, Heaven, Ted Nugent, Girlschool, Trust & Loverboy.

The Maiden guys seemed to have a bit of an affinity with Southern bands as they also jammed a ZZ Top song with Blackfoot onstage at the '82 Reading Festival, and in the late 90's a solo Bruce Dickinson, (with Adrian in his band), supported Lynyrd Skynyrd on a european tour. Wonder if that's what inspired the 3 guitar attack of the current Maiden line up?
Noisenik wrote: So I wonder, with all that strongest 70's feel, how come you cannot delve deep into music of BÖC? :wink: :D
Honestly I've really tried over the years, and i do like some of their individual songs, but on the whole it just doesn't seem to be for me.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Although the write up was informative and appreciated, it's 2017.

You have to look at this from the knowledge base of a modern day perspective.

Just because Running Wild used to refer to themselves as having played "Black Metal" in 1984 doesn't mean it's even remotely true today.

I lean more to malegys statement in that fans get a hard on over the cover art and try to twist this as something that it's not.

I put this in the same category as Voltz. Completely ball-less hard rock that was nearly a decade too late for it's time.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Hey guys, I hate to be a pain in the ass, but this thread is about the return of Cirith Ungol. :mrgreen:
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote:Hey guys, I hate to be a pain in the ass, but this thread is about the return of Cirith Ungol. :mrgreen:
Fair comment, we did get a bit tangental there & Ungol's return should be a cause of much rejoicing in it's own right.
Rite?
;)
Please indulge me briefly though so i can respond to Avenger before allowing things to get back on topic.
Or if you prefer, a mod could split the thread so this discussion doesn't disrupt it too much.
I get that Ashbury aren't for everyone, and yes, i'm well aware that it's 2017, but the audiences who attend these festivals in the here & now must respond positively to the band or basic economics would dictate that they wouldn't get repeat bookings.
If everyone took an en masse toilet break when Ashbury took the stage, or drifted off to the bar, then the promotors would notice and stop booking them, the fact that they don't means that the audience is open to what they do.
On any multi band bill there's bound to be at least one act that doesn't grab you like the others, (for me it's pretty much any death/black/grindcore act), but i don't see the need to denigrate bands just because they're not to my personal taste.
If there's a band on the bill i'm not keen on it's merely an opportunity to get a drink, take a leak or browse the merch while it's less crowded. Whether you like Ashbury or not, everyone likes to piss. ;)
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

More Ungol action...

Northwinds

Post by Northwinds »

If you guys want anymore info, I can just call Rob and ask any questions you might have
Forces of Steel

Post by Forces of Steel »

I wish Greg Lindstrom would go back to bass, or at least get Flint back in the band. The Night Demon dude being in the band is just awkward to me.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Forces of Steel wrote:I wish Greg Lindstrom would go back to bass, or at least get Flint back in the band. The Night Demon dude being in the band is just awkward to me.
Awkward? In what way? Since he seems to have played a significant part in helping bring Ungol back together i'd say we owe the guy major thanks.
Apparently Flint isn't involved because he hasn't played his instrument for many a year, which is a pity as it would have been nice to have had as many of the fellas from the band's heyday involved as possible, but compared to many veteran bands still doing the rounds, the CU reunion has more legitimacy than most.
Armored Taint

Post by Armored Taint »

bigfootkit wrote:
Forces of Steel wrote:I wish Greg Lindstrom would go back to bass, or at least get Flint back in the band. The Night Demon dude being in the band is just awkward to me.
Awkward? In what way? Since he seems to have played a significant part in helping bring Ungol back together i'd say we owe the guy major thanks.
Apparently Flint isn't involved because he hasn't played his instrument for many a year, which is a pity as it would have been nice to have had as many of the fellas from the band's heyday involved as possible, but compared to many veteran bands still doing the rounds, the CU reunion has more legitimacy than most.

Kinda strange how Night Demon is booked on every single show Cirith Ungol plays now...must be a coincidence.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Armored Taint wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:

Kinda strange how Night Demon is booked on every single show Cirith Ungol plays now...must be a coincidence.
One of the requirements for booking Cirith Ungol is also booking Night Demon. Simple as that.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Armored Taint

Post by Armored Taint »

Khnud wrote:
Armored Taint wrote:
One of the requirements for booking Cirith Ungol is also booking Night Demon. Simple as that.

Manilla Road and Ashbury too apparently.
Armored Taint

Post by Armored Taint »

malegys wrote:
Avenger wrote:Never understood the hype behind Ashbury.

Very mediocre 70's tinged hard rock.
Agreed, it seemed that their LP was hyped up because of it's "fantasy" cover art. There were hundreds better 70s bands out there that deserved way more recognition than Assbury.
Just another random obscure band that 20 somethings who just got into metal last year decided to latch onto. Take any shit band who only released one album, have High Roller re-press it on limited 200 copies colored vinyl, send them to every "true metal" fest on the planet, and viola - you suddenly have legions of fans who didn't even know who you were 5 minutes ago. I played a fest with them once and couldn't believe they were even booked. It sounded like James Taylor trying to do rock music.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Armored Taint wrote:Take any shit band who only released one album, have High Roller re-press it on limited 200 copies colored vinyl, send them to every "true metal" fest on the planet, and viola - you suddenly have legions of fans who didn't even know who you were 5 minutes ago.
Well, that's Heavy Metal 2017 A.D. :lol:
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
msp

Post by msp »

Well I'll be there at KIT with half a freshly cut onion so I can be in tears when they take the stage :) :wink:
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
malegys

Post by malegys »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Armored Taint wrote:Take any shit band who only released one album, have High Roller re-press it on limited 200 copies colored vinyl, send them to every "true metal" fest on the planet, and viola - you suddenly have legions of fans who didn't even know who you were 5 minutes ago.
Well, that's Heavy Metal 2017 A.D. :lol:
It's as dead as Dio. It's like the Blues, surviving on festival appearances & dragging out has-beens from the past (no matter how good or bad). Look at most reunion bands that decide to continue recording. Most break up again straight after because their new records don't sell & aren't appreciated/liked. It's a vile retro culture for millenials who wanna belong to this so called "golden age" & for recently-divorced types who wanna relive their youth. It's embarrassing.
"Do you like Wenom?"