Portrait - Crossroads

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Necrotoxin

Portrait - Crossroads

Post by Necrotoxin »

This album seems to be getting surprisingly little recognition. I've been spinning it a bit, and it's been growing on me a lot. They seem to have progressed a bit since their last album; while Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae felt to me like a tribute to Mercyful Fate and old US Power Metal, the new one feels like it's merging a King Diamond influence with some hints of the Eastern Bloc and old bargain bin metal.
The production reflects this as well, Crimen... had a really slick and metallic production with very prominent use of old school drum triggers, but the new one feels a lot more organic and stripped down. At first I missed the enveloping sound of Crimen... but I'm starting to appreciate the change (especially in terms of the snare sound, which was a major detractor from Crimen).

https://soundcloud.com/metalbladerecord ... it-in-time
Marken

Post by Marken »

I like it very much. Their best one so far, although I also like the first two albums, especially Crimen...is good.

Lily is a masterpiece. The first 3-4 minutes really reminds me of Crimson Glory "Lost Reflection", and that's for sure a good thing.
mordred

Post by mordred »

It sure is a grower. It still grows on me after 30 listens or something. It obviously has much less black metal an Mercyful Fate influneces than "Crimen..." which is much due to the departure of Richard Lagergren who wrote most of the material on that. The song Writing this time is more in line with the style on the first album but a little more developed of course.

I can't say which Portrait album I like the most. All three are masterpieces in my opinion, but this is their most solid yet with no songs that are weaker. My top pick I think has grown to be "Ageless Rites" which is mindblowingly good.

Album of the year so far.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Marken

Post by Marken »

Will you review it in the next Sweden Rock Magazine, Mordred? This album deserves as much attention as possible.
mordred

Post by mordred »

No Portrait reviews in SRM since Christian is an employee. ;)
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Marken

Post by Marken »

Ahh, I see. Well, kick him out and give the album a 9/10.