BLAZON STONE - Return to Port Royal

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Stormspell

BLAZON STONE - Return to Port Royal

Post by Stormspell »

Pirate Treasure Delight - a delicious riff salad of early test mixes to give you a taste of the upcoming BLAZON STONE album, entitled "Return to Port Royal." Beware of the Kraken sticks, they could be rather spiky!

Click here to listen: http://snd.sc/MgoM8V
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Running Wild rip off. This band needs to get a new gimmick. There can only be one in my book.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

It is not a rip off. Blazon Stone is a worship type of project trying to capture the spirit of classic Running Wild as best as possible, but WITHOUT ripping it off. All music on "Return to Port Royal" is original and every conscious effort has been made not to copy or "borrow" riffs.

Rolf killed RW long time ago and what passes under the legendary moniker these days is some sort of cheesy pop-rock joke. I'm hopeful people which crave the classic RW sound will pick our stuff instead of Shadowmaker. At least our drummer is better than Angelo Sasso and that's for certain :lol:
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I really like these samples and I will be looking forward to the CD.
And I could not find any rip-off listening to this, just plain worship of what is in my opinion the best era of Running Wild.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Not very convincing. Most of the riffs are bordering on rip-off.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

ION BRITTON wrote:Not very convincing. Most of the riffs are bordering on rip-off.
Maybe it sounds this way as I can only share bits and pieces right now. But once we record vocals and I'm able to share a full song, you will see it has its own identity as well.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

stormspell wrote:At least our drummer is better than Angelo Sasso and that's for certain :lol:
But I heard Angelo Sasso was Gene Hoglan's drum teacher back in the old days :lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Marken

Post by Marken »

I'll buy it. Any idea when it will be released? Rolf started making really bad albums years ago, so I'm looking forward to this.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

worshiping = ripoff :lol:
Dark Stranger

Post by Dark Stranger »

Yeah the riffs are pure Running Wild, but that's a good thing! Sounds great to me. Certainly better than the last few RW albums.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

That was the idea, yeah! It will be awesome when finished.

Jose Luis, try not to fall from that high horse you're riding around, you can hurt yourself. Just saying :lol:
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

stormspell wrote:That was the idea, yeah! It will be awesome when finished.

Jose Luis, try not to fall from that high horse you're riding around, you can hurt yourself. Just saying :lol:
I do not ride horses, I dont see myself like a warrior of any kind... and I dont have a band either :lol:
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

The "high horse" is a metaphor meaning you shouldn't be laughing at other releases when some of your own aren't exactly the epitome of originality either.
mordred

Post by mordred »

That second sample snippet is similar to "Phantom of Black Hand Hill" but apart from that I don't hear anything that is anywhere close to ripping off actual Running Wild songs.

I'll probably buy this. I don't mind it sounding exactly Running Wild, not when the band's called Blazon Stone and the album Return to Port Royal. It's a given. If you're not interested, fine, but if you have some problem with it you should take a good dump to lose some tension.

Curios what the vocals will sound like?

In conclusion; this sounds so much like Running Wild it makes Lonewolf not sound like Running Wild. :lol:
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

That was the basic idea - to write an album Running Wild could have released between Pile of Skulls and Black Hand Inn for example. It is impossible not to draw comparisons as even Rolf has recycled riffs throughout the albums and essentially "covered" some of his own songs.

Vocals are the Achilles' heel of this project. Rolf has unique tone and we gave up on trying to find a dead-ringer for him almost immediately. We're going to try Diego Valdez (ex-Skiltron, Helker) - he has rich powerful midrange voice somewhat similar to Dio / Jorn Lande. Hopefully it will work good.

You can check Diego doing a "Ballad of William Kidd" RW cover with Skiltron here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWUnoq4pfOs

Here is some info about the songs:

1. Intro - We dont have a name for this one yet, though it would be
definitely something RW related, like Black Chest Inn or something.

2. Return To Port Royal - the speedy opener of course. Crunchy and fast just like RW used to cut them in the good old times.

3. Stand Your Line - quite good rocker with catchy chorus and the ordinary fist pumping lyrics.

4. Amistad Rebellion - this one reminds a lot about Conquistadores, but with a unique chorus. It is based on a historical event about a slaveship mutiny. Probably the pilot single we'll be using to promote the album

5. High Treason - another fast power-cruncher in the style of Marooned/Phantom Of Black Hand Hill. Another posibility for pilot single

6. Curse Of The Ghost Ship - this song is basically the answer to RW's "Powder & Iron"

7. Blackbeard - this is actually the only song that doesn't feature an actual chorus. But it works well without one, somewhat similar to "Kiss Of Death" and "The Privateer" which none of them have chorus either.

8. Wind in the Sails - another speedy scorcher in the vein of "Tortuga Bay." Pure crunchy headbanging delight

9. Sinking of Vasa - THE Epic finale of the album. Somewhat similar to "Treasure Island," great diverse song with fast parts, majestic "Jens Becker" bass harmonies, spoken part, epic middle section, and furious finale of pure undiluted glory leaving you gasping for more!

I know there will be people laughing at it and calling it a rip-off, but this album is first and foremost for ourselves, as well for all RW die-hard fans who still crave and cherish the old glory days, smell of tar, treasure hunting, and pirate stories!

It will be the first Stormspell release on wax too.