HELL album release party | Nottingham | May 20th

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Bane

Post by Bane »

The best gig of my entire life. I'll write a proper synopsis once I sober up. Finishing off the setlist dedicating a cover of "Bedtime" by RAT for Dave Halliday was an extremely special moment.
Dark Stranger

Post by Dark Stranger »

Yep - best gig of my entire life too. Utterly mindblowing.
destroya

Post by destroya »

An Awesome Night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also one of the best gigs ever for me too
A Historic Night Of Metal
Mythiis

Post by Mythiis »

Wish I could have been there, the videos look amazing!
I summoned up the living dead, and demons in the skies.
I drank from chalice warm and red, and watched the virgin die.
MercyfulUngol

Post by MercyfulUngol »

Dark Stranger wrote:Best gig of my entire life.

MercyfulUngol - cool meeting you, fair fucking play for the long trip to the gig!
Thanks man, cool meeting you too! :D

I have to agree, that was totally the best show I've ever been too! Well worth the trip! They blew my fucking mind! I was literally shaking during the sound check, hahaha. I have a few pics I'll post later.

That was a rough trip, a lot of problems. I can't thank those dudes enough for taking care of me. I'm eternally grateful to them. Classy fucking guys all the way!
Bane

Post by Bane »

Paul, it was great to talk shit again. Killer photo - I'm stealing it! :D
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Chafe wrote:Some videos on youtube:

Save Us From Those Who Will Save Us: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIjP7GNRIbw
Blasphemy and the Master: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzrYy2DD0kY
The Devil's Deadly Weapon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eUJ9X5IXJM

Simply amazing!!!

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: im going to hell for not being there :cry:
MercyfulUngol

Post by MercyfulUngol »

Bane wrote:Paul, it was great to talk shit again. Killer photo - I'm stealing it! :D
Same with you man, I also have a pretty gay picture of us together, hahaha.

Here some pics from the show:
Here's a shot during the sound check, which was fucking amazing!!!

Bane

Post by Bane »

Excellent photos mate!! I'm glad to see you made it home ok in the end. It was complete shit what happened with your flight.

Anyway, regarding the gig, I still stand by my original post. The most enjoyable gig I've been to. 1hr 15mins of fantastic music and killer theatrics.

The lights came down for Overture (Themes From 'Deathsquad') and Tim, Andy, Tony and Kev slowly made their way out to stage. I was pretty confident they would rip into On Earth As It Is In Hell when it finished, as it was the song they always opened with back in the 80's. But no, they ripped into Let Battle Commence instead which took me completely by surprise (it shouldn't have, in retrospect). Dave Bower came out on stage and it was immediately clear he was going to put on a good show. A lot of people spent this song staring at the stage, taking in the spectacle of HELL's first show in 25 years. The band barely caught their breath after the song ended and went straight into On Earth As It Is In Hell. There wasn't a lot of staring this time round; the whole front rows went crazy with headbanging.

Next up was Plague & Fyre. Dave walked back on stage engulfed in a robe that victims of The Plague would wear back in 1665. He started ringing a huge bell and stalked the stage chanting "bring out your dead", as was the tradition back in the 80's. He peeled back the hood just as the vocals kicked in and delivered one of my favourite vocal performances of the night. It was amazing! The Oppressors was up next and there's not much to say apart from it being a fantastic delivery. Afterwards, Dave walked off stage and returned topless and brandishing a cat o' nine tails whip. He partook in some self flagellation as he started reading the spoken word intro of Blasphemy and The Master. It was haunting! The song was totally killer.

My favourite ever HELL song followed next; The Devil's Deadly Weapon. It was one of the best moments of the show, seeing it live for the first time. The synth was particularly spellbinding. It was one of those songs where I just stood staring at the stage for most of it. I made up for it when they kicked into The Quest. Total headbanging fury. That's one of the best things about that song; it's so upbeat and catchy that it's almost impossible not to find your head nodding along even when walking down the street. Macbeth was next on the setlist... I just have to echo my previous sentiments about it simply being a fantastic performance. Dave's vocals really shined throughout - it was probably the most difficult song to make his own considering how demented Halliday's vocals were throughout the original. They finished off with No Martyr's Cage by which stage the crowd were dying for more.

They walked back on after a short while and, well, most of you have probably seen the footage on YouTube by now. It was completely out of this world! I was expecting something to happen with the bible at the start but I wasn't expecting it to explode. I got a bit of a shock when that happened, Haha. They finished off by saying that the show wouldn't be complete without mentioning one of the most integral parts of HELL, and that was Dave Halliday. They dedicated the closing song to him and ripped into a cover of Bedtime by Race Against Time. The crowd were singing along and it was a very cool moment. The song ended in a flurry of pyrotechnics. I was right in the front row and my hair smelled slightly burned for several hours afterwards! :D

So yeah, there you go. I'm pretty sure I got the songs more or less in the right order. There was also some fire-breathing I forgot to mention but I can't for the life of me remember what song it took place in. Donal, Paul - help me out??
Dark Stranger

Post by Dark Stranger »

Pretty sure it was at the very end, before they came out to play Bedtime. "We invite you.. TO BURN WITH HELL!!!"

*cue singed hair for us front row people*
nabel

Post by nabel »

Hell is scheduled to play around 2 pm at Tuska festival in Helsinki, it's friday and I should be at work around then... Seems that I have to visit doctordoctor the day before. ;)

And of course Bulldozer is playing at same time at another stage. I would say that people who come to see Hell in Finland are also the same people who want to see Bulldozer...
Bane

Post by Bane »

What a dumb clash!!

What sort of crowd does Tuska festival pull, Jani??
nabel

Post by nabel »

Normal mainstream metal festival crowd, young, old and everything in between. As it used used to be held about 200 meters from central railway station there's lots of people who would not go camping to "normal" festivals+some even bring their kids.

This year own booze is not allowed to area, only people with 3 day tickets can go in and out of the area as they like etc so it's gonna be expensive 8 hours in beer tent. :x
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

What's with the britney spears microphone?
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Dark Stranger

Post by Dark Stranger »

He gestures a lot on stage in the manner of a preacher, holding a microphone would really balls up the theatrics of it.