VOLTAX 'Fugitive State of Mind'

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
nightsblood

VOLTAX 'Fugitive State of Mind'

Post by nightsblood »

OK, I'll state up front that I know almost nothing about the Mexican heavy metal scene; beyond Baron Rojo and The Chasm I'd be hard-pressed to even name another band from south of the border :oops: All I knew about VOLTAX was a couple of 30 second clips that indicated 'trad metal', but since I had a chance to score a free copy, I figured hey, why not check it out- and I'm glad I did!

For those who, like me, aren't familiar with VOLTAX, these Mexican defenders of steel play straight-up, unabashed 80s heavy metal. No, it's not a groundbreaking fusion of styles and influences creating something new and unique but it is damn good, and here's why.....

Let's start with the basics. The musicianship is very strong; no weak links in the lineup. The songwriting is equally impressive; it's very easy when playing traditional 80s metal to churn out cookie cutter songs that get repetitive or formulaic. That's not the case here; the band incorporates just enough tempo changes, breaks, and small fills to ensure the tunes never become monotonous. The production is loud and strong, which ensures the songs get that extra punch added to the delivery. Finally, the band avoids sounding like a retro-rehash act; while there's no doubting they have an 80s Metal Heart, their music is infused with enough of a modern feel to make it sound fresh and relevant. Again, I don't have many reference points to work with for the Mexican metal scene, but I am reminded of two Brazilian power metal acts who also do a great job of building strong, new, metal hot rods on an 80s chassis; HIBRIA and VIPER (circa 'Evolution').

Turning now to the songs, the band shows that they understand how to build an album of this style. You want to get the listener's attention quickly, and VOLTAX do so with the anthemic barnburner 'Unmerciful Reign'; it takes less than 30 seconds for this song to start flat-out kicking your ass, with a heavy, ringing riff driven along at the perfect headbanging pace as some high screams come over the top and propel you into the heart of the storm. The pounding, loud 'n proud delivery coupled with the somewhat rough, high vocals should conjure up memories of classic ACCEPT or other Northern European greats. Honestly, had I not known where the band hailed from, I would have guessed Germany or Belgium- that's the kind of steel being forged here! The next few songs left off the throttle but just a little, delivering strong tunes one after another. The music has a very blue-collar 'street vibe' that again merits a comparison to the gutsy, Wheels of Steel style of HIBRIA. THe fast songs are spread out perfectly to pace the album so things never drag but never become a blur either. Again, getting the running order right is important on albums like this; screw it up and your album quickly starts gathering dust on the shelf. You don't want all the gems stuck on one side, or all the speedy numbers crammed up front, etc. VOLTAX knows what they're doing, and they know how to execute.

No, not every song is an instant classic, but several deserve mention. Besides the pounding opener, 'DXM' and 'A World Gone Mad' prove the band doesn't have to rely on high speed breakouts to deliver the goods, as these numbers are pacier but very well structured. 'Acero Immortal' (one of two songs with spanish lyrics) is a high-octane thriller, and closer 'Midnight Wheels' ensures the album rides into the sunset on a blazing high note, again delivery speedy, hammering metal.

In closing, all I can say is that anyone wanting a solid, great-sounding slab of true oldschool metal should definitely give 'Fugitive State of Mind' a listen. It may not be cutting-edge or avant-garde or mind-expanding, but it will remind you just how FUN undiluted Heavy Metal can be to listen to. Seriously, if you aren't reaching for your favorite air guitar within 60 seconds of hitting Play as your minds fills up with memories of 'Fast as A Shark' and 'Motorcycle Man', well, you're steel is just not true :) If VOLTAX are at all representative of modern Mexican Metal, then I definitely need to school myself on the scene.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
MetalizeR

Re: VOLTAX 'Fugitive State of Mind'

Post by MetalizeR »

nightsblood wrote:OK, I'll state up front that I know almost nothing about the Mexican heavy metal scene; beyond Baron Rojo and The Chasm
Baron Rojo is from Spain, Europe :)
GJ

Post by GJ »

Nice. And Diego's gonna send me this winner! :D
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Well that just proves how little I know about Mexican Metal! :lol: :lol: Dumb mistake on my part
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4250

But I can't really blame you as the title doesn't really justify the thread.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

A nice read for a sunday evening. Thanks for that and cheers to Diego and his VOLTAX-companions, great band, a real pleasure every time i listen to them!
Last edited by Sgt. Kuntz on Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Avenger wrote:http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4250

I did a search for VOLTAX before starting a new thread but yeah, that thread's title didn't clue me in. No worries if you need to move this one into that one
-Becky
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

I would recommend you some modern mexican band like Split Heaven and Blacksmith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiCUQJRBC7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSpLuYOexU4

For older bands you can check Luzbel, Megaton, Apocalipsis, Vixit, Puño de Hierro, Argus, Huizar, etc
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

nightsblood wrote:
Avenger wrote:http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4250

I did a search for VOLTAX before starting a new thread but yeah, that thread's title didn't clue me in. No worries if you need to move this one into that one
I'll leave it up to you. This is a fairly in-depth review and I can see how it could merit it's own thread.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

thank you so much for the review Alan! reallly appreciate the honest opinions :D
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Aveng- if it's cool, let's just leave it as it's own thread. Little extra coverage for DIego and company can't hurt :)

Diego- you're welcome! Kudos on putting out a really good album! Sorry it took me awhile to get around to, been super-busy with work

MMaster- thanks for the links, I'll give them a listen when I have some time
-Becky