RANDY CD+XXARON+FACT+DEALER+STRIDER+INVADER+MAY LINN + PAGAN

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Dodens Grav wrote:I'm sorry, in case it wasn't obvious by the question mark, I was asking a serious question about a band I'm not familiar with. But I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to continue to show your specific dislike of me and by doing so continuing to look like an ass.
Don't take it personally, he will grow up someday...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Dodens Grav wrote:I'm sorry, in case it wasn't obvious by the question mark, I was asking a serious question about a band I'm not familiar with. But I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to continue to show your specific dislike of me and by doing so continuing to look like an ass.
If this is concerning time it would actually take less for you to, like I already said, hop on youtube and look up a couple Randy songs.

Here I did it for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRt_e4Bbk94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSerJ9Bf ... re=related

Aside from that, it's the way you went about asking who the band was. I really don't mind helping people that aren't assholes when asking for something and actually like to discuss/share that of which we have the same interest.

I hope that you like the tracks as much as the guys around here do.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:Don't take it personally, he will grow up someday...
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Don't steal my slogans... & don't be ashamed of that...
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

I'm sorry if you took my comment the wrong way, but it was meant as "I don't really know anything about this band, but people seem to be high on them, so sell them to me." As for youtube links, I generally avoid listening to music in ways not approved of by the band members, so I principally rely on the opinions of others when it comes to bands that don't put up samples themselves.
wreackhavoc

Post by wreackhavoc »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
wreackhavoc wrote:
Professor Black wrote:I got the Randy CD today. Decent quality, great material of course. Sound is fine, packaging includes only the 7" song lyrics, nothing else.
There will be full lyrics for the vinyl version
vinyl version???? when?
April/may..gatefold sleeve
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Got the Randy CD this week. For those still wondering, RANDY play polished, catchy blue-colar metal with great songwriting and musicianship. No real problems with the sound quality here, but the layout leaves a lot to be desired. As Prof Black mentioned, the booklet contains nothing except lyrics for the 2 songs off the single. The front cover is a relatively bad transfer of the single's artwork, and the tray inlay card has the band photo from the single. That's it. I love the music, but if you are someone who demands a nice-looking, info-packed booklet with your reissues, you will not be happy with this one. To put it another way, I know that many of you complain about the quality of the releases on Old Metal Records; well IMO this is a step down from OMR quality.

I can understand including some extras with a vinyl edition, but why include something as basic/simple as song lyrics with one format but not the other? There's only 11 different songs on here; with a small font size you wouldn't even have to add another page to the booklet.

I'm glad the band will get some exposure from this release, but I do wish the label had given it the quality it deserved; instead it looks like it was quickly thrown together as cheaply as possible in order to make a quick buck :( If that sounds harsh I'm sorry, but it's true.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Vaggelis

Post by Vaggelis »

nightsblood wrote:Got the Randy CD this week. For those still wondering, RANDY play polished, catchy blue-colar metal with great songwriting and musicianship.
Polished? :?
You will say next that RANDY is Aor?Or what?

RANDY plays typical 80's metal like f.ex MIRAGE also from Denmark which reminds more British bands from the 2nd wave of NWOBHM.

If i remember right the demo has a couple of great songs.As far as the single two tracks they are classic and essential.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Vaggelis wrote:
nightsblood wrote:Got the Randy CD this week. For those still wondering, RANDY play polished, catchy blue-colar metal with great songwriting and musicianship.
Polished? :?
You will say next that RANDY is Aor?Or what?

RANDY plays typical 80's metal like f.ex MIRAGE also from Denmark which reminds more British bands from the 2nd wave of NWOBHM.

If i remember right the demo has a couple of great songs.As far as the single two tracks they are classic and essential.
I don't think that nightsblood's comment is unjustified. Randy is on the softer side of things when compared to a lot of other bands out there at the time especially granted that they didn’t release any material until the mid 80's. Sure this is still Metal and still great material but that doesn’t mean that it's of the rip-your-face-off caliber. You can’t really blame the band for this though as Denmark IN GENERAL never had the most aggressive scene.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

this keeps sounding to me as a big turn off, hope it arrives this week....since the first day i listened to the beast this became one of my favorite discoveries made in The Corroseum,if not my very fave, this official reissue was truly a blessing since my budget keeps getting tighter and the single is just next to impossible to find for a mortal like me,i bought this the first day it was posted by Greg here...im still excited tho
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Most of the demo material is actually polished commercial crap and the 7'' ain't the rawest metal either...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

'Polished' does not mean Bad, and I consider it a fair adjective to describe most of the band's material. Miraj or post-NWOBHM brit bands is indeed a fair comparison; I'd say most of those bands were polishing their sound as well. If done poorly, it can turn into commercial crap (lots of those brit bands overdid it), but Randy does it pretty well. They're not AOR but they're not 'chains & leather' headbanging fare either. If anyone's still confused, they're closer to Pretty Maids than to Poison or Possessed.

The Single:
-'shadows Are falling' is a killer tune but it's not a barnburner speed demon; it's got great hooks and melodies

-'the beast' is the band's fastest, speediest number. Killer tune.

One of my absolute favorite metal singles ever. While I love the 'lettuce monster' cover art, it's not very indicative of the band's musical style

The Demo:
'Come On let's Rock' is very simple radio-friendly party rock fare. 'Commercial crap' might be a tad harsh, but it's not far off the mark

'Nightmare' and 'Razors Edge' are excellent tunes akin to 'Shadows are Falling'

'It's Got to be Love' is a soft, sweet-sounding ballad, definitely sounds like a tune written for commercial airplay. It's not terrible, but it's a looong way form 'the beast'

'Victim of the Night' is good in the same vein as 'Nightmare' and 'Razors Edge'

'Who's Got the Power' is also alright but there's no denying it has more commercial aspirations than the single

'Don't Look Back' has a bouncy structure that also displays definite commercial leanings.

Conclusion: the demo has some very good tunes IMO, but it definitely has a commercial bent compared to the single. Anyone expecting the demo to contain multiple songs similar to 'the beast' will definitely be thrown for a loop

LIVE:
No comment on the live songs, I've only played 'em twice so far
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
daniel

Post by daniel »

Can't refrain from commenting.

Death's Grave, just like Avenger I found your post provocative. I am also in awe, because I thought I knew it all about the lengths people would go to in their TRUENESS, but not listening to music on YouTube because the artists haven't agreed to it is a BRILLIANT new one! I hope you spat upon people who tried to hand you mixtapes as well, or else I'll see to it we have your license revoked.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

Wow, so you're bothered by the fact that I would rather listen to something with a band's approval? Interesting, to say the least. I'm not sure how "trueness" applies, however, considering myspace has never been "true", and that's how I first hear most bands.

"Who/What is X, and why should I care" is a well known phrase. Just google "what is" and "and why should I care" together and see how often it is used. It isn't meant exactly the way it sounds. Maybe this is more unfamiliar to you because you're not from the US.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Yes I joked about it because I find it ridiculous. If a band for example releases something by themselves, and quit, do you REALLY think it BOTHERS them that people are getting to hear their music via a new medium? Me, anything I might have done/have done, I don't care about it being out there, when you release music you are not standing in front of every buyer staring at them saying, don't EVER play this to ANYONE else. Musicians usually want to get the music out there and just see it as a good thing the more people can be exposed to their music, and I have friends from pre-demo stage bands to major label ones, so you are just assuming some ultimate negative and thinking in legal and monetary terms. Maybe you shouldn't even be reading comments about bands that they haven't themselves approved. I know this issue has been discussed at length elsewhere on the forum but so what, I'm never going to agree with the mindset that views anyone but the buyer as the undeserving listener, the supposed morality some people present is ludicrous.

I'm not unfamiliar with that phrase, my first language in English, UK English, but it is still a cheeky remark.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.