Sacred Oath - World On Fire

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Marken

Sacred Oath - World On Fire

Post by Marken »

Not sure if many cares for this one over here, but it's worth a shot.

A Crystal Vision is crap, Darkness Visible is a masterpiece, the selftitled was dissapointing but ok, so what about World On Fire?

It follows in the same direction as the s/t, but so far I like World On Fire better. Not as good as Darkness Visible, but there are many good tracks here, especially the brilliant Sandrider deserves a mention.

The album has a couple of letdowns in the middle. Face Of Evil and Drums Of War do nothing for me, and Revolution is a little silly, but still quite enjoyable.
Apart from those two I enjoy this one. Good, but not brilliant.
The guitars are great and once again I love the drumming of Kenny Evans. Don't know why, but it has something to do with his pling-pling style (that means hitting the cymbals).

Any views on this one or previous Sacred Oath-releases?
GJ

Post by GJ »

I agree totally on Darkness Visible. An absolutely fantastic record, so damn catchy and moody in almost every aspect. The first one I can't really remember as it's been rather long since I played it (which may imply something about it's qualities), need to pull it out for more spins to be able to judge it though. S/T I also have to spin more as I got it rather recently and have just played it once in my car. Their latest one is on my "to buy" list...
daniel

Post by daniel »

'A Crystal Vision' crap? Hahaha, you on some crack bro.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Marken

Post by Marken »

daniel wrote:'A Crystal Vision' crap? Hahaha, you on some crack bro.
Oh, It's bad. Haven't played it in a couple of years, so just for you, I'm gonna play it once again today :D
daniel

Post by daniel »

'Darkness Visible' may be a good record in its own right, however what 'A Crystal Vision' is is something unique. It's a masterpiece, the riffs, atmosphere, vocals and imagery. 'Darkness Visible' is a way more standardised effort, it lacks the same power to distinguish itself from the crowd as the debut. It also has a rubbish front and back cover whereas the debut has some of my alltime favourite designs. Artwork that perfectly encapsulates and also prepares you for the music.
I thought I would not get offended by people's opinions on music anymore, but I think you're being a bit of a cock in your dismisal of this LP, mostly because it means a lot to me, and your opinion is just a juvenile 'it's crap'.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Stormspell

Re: Sacred Oath - World On Fire

Post by Stormspell »

A Crystal Vision = 80's masterpiece; Darkness Visible = okay album, albeit too generic; S/T = modern crap. Haven't heard the new one and not sure I want to.
pzman

Post by pzman »

Gotta agree w/ daniel and stormspell - A Crystal Vision is just an amazing album. Darkness Visible is not bad and i havent heard the rest.
mordred

Post by mordred »

I've only heard A Crystal Vision and Darkness Visible. Both are good if a tad bit generic. I can't say which is better.

And Marken, you should know that around here criticizing an 80's US metal album will make people shit their pants, especially if you imply something new might be as good or even better. :lol:
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Marken

Post by Marken »

daniel wrote:'Darkness Visible' may be a good record in its own right, however what 'A Crystal Vision' is is something unique. It's a masterpiece, the riffs, atmosphere, vocals and imagery. 'Darkness Visible' is a way more standardised effort, it lacks the same power to distinguish itself from the crowd as the debut. It also has a rubbish front and back cover whereas the debut has some of my alltime favourite designs. Artwork that perfectly encapsulates and also prepares you for the music.
I thought I would not get offended by people's opinions on music anymore, but I think you're being a bit of a cock in your dismisal of this LP, mostly because it means a lot to me, and your opinion is just a juvenile 'it's crap'.
Being a cock or not - I simply don't like the album. Played it again today, and maybe I was a bit harsh when I said "it's crap", but it just bores me. Not one song I find better than average, and most of them are below average.
I'm just talking about the impression the songs has on me - not the whole package.
I find the other Sacred Oath-albums much better. I guess that's hard for you to understand, but when I say that I also like the new Avenged Sevenfold-album, I think we're back on track.

Mordred: Ahh, thanks for the advice. I'll never critizise another 80's release (I was looking for a long nose-smiley, but couldn't find one).
I happen to like/dislike both old and new metal. Yes, call me crazy.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Marken wrote:I say that I also like the new Avenged Sevenfold-album, I think we're back on track.
avenged sevenfold is metal? :lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Avenger wrote:
Marken wrote:I say that I also like the new Avenged Sevenfold-album, I think we're back on track.
banning mode asap
Marken

Post by Marken »

Avenger wrote:
Didn't say anything about that, I just said I like it...a lot.

If you're thinking about this one: "I happen to like/dislike both old and new metal. Yes, call me crazy", that's generally speaking.

Avenged Sevenfold is a mixture of hardrock, metal and nu-metal. That's it - the oracle has spoken.
Last edited by Marken on Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

you missed that is a kids oriented music...
Marken

Post by Marken »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:you missed that is a kids oriented music...
Sorry! I kinda agree, but I still like it.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:
Avenger wrote:
banning mode asap
Avengered Sevenfold :lol: Seriously Marken, AS IS crap. A crystal vision is just...a bit above average.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.