Big Question, Please read and Comment [DWARR reissue/mod]

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
N.W.O.O.F.G.M.

Post by N.W.O.O.F.G.M. »

It would not affect my mentality at all. I think being annoyed that a cult release has gained mainstream appeal is pointless elitism. After all, we only listen and enjoy the music, we did not have any part in creating it, therefore we do not have any word on how it is supposed to be handled. If the artists of any given obscure record manage to secure a deal regarding the mass availability of their music, while at the same time being fully compensated for it, provided of course that this is not against the wishes of any members of the band, it is their choice.

I would support such a release by purchasing it, but since I am also a collector, I would be on the look out for the original vinyl. As for its price, it would probably increase, since vinyl is the old "new" thing, attracting mainstream attention these days.
Ария make a metalhead want to speak Russian!
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

omen of hate wrote:"Animals" will be re-released next month by a totally non-metal label : Drag City Records.
Thanks! Awesome!
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Question is: from all bands out there, why on earth did they choose DWARR? :lol:
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:Question is: from all bands out there, why on earth did they choose DWARR? :lol:
OK
Well Dwarr is being sold as a Twisted Loner/Crazy person.
Really a one man band (other then a drummer) who was tormented but his friends and ended up in a psych hosp. after his first release, His second release was a country 45 trying to please the folks around him.

After that did not work he put out Animals. Which was recorded in his trailer. For years he has been trying to do a movie about "what he sees in his head"

These are all things that "Hipsters" like. The label doing this had there best releases with "Loner Folk" and think of this as "Loner Psych/Metal"

The record go a BIG boost 2 years ago when certan NON-Metal "Hipster big wigs" heard it for the first time and started pushing it. It has already been featured in some pretty big hipster Mags from IL & CA

I guess only time will tell.

My prediction is this will be there biggest release to date with sales in the 10k+ mark. But thats just me.

They are starting with Animals and plan on doing a few more releases with the 300 unreleased tracks they received
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

300 unreleased tracks? Wow, sounds promising, even if it's released for hipsters :)

Anyhow, I'm glad I already have an original. Perhaps it is time to score another one, before the rerelease is out.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Well, I'll definitely be looking for it and get myself a copy when it comes out. Some hipsters going on about this album wouldn't change that, BUT I would try to avoid such people so as never to have to think about it.

I have been close to getting originals a few times, but it was always a little bit too expensive so I'll welcome the release no matter who does it or how they market it.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Interesting. I don't think I've heard Dwarr; if I did, they obviously didn't leave an impression :)

A quick popsike check indicates the 'Animals' LP typically sells for $100-150. If that's accurate and IF the band catches on, then I could definitely see the price of the original going up; there's definitely room for upward mobility if the pre-'breakout' price is ~ $150.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

nightsblood wrote:Interesting. I don't think I've heard Dwarr; if I did, they obviously didn't leave an impression :)

A quick popsike check indicates the 'Animals' LP typically sells for $100-150. If that's accurate and IF the band catches on, then I could definitely see the price of the original going up; there's definitely room for upward mobility if the pre-'breakout' price is ~ $150.
It's from your back yard and you never heard it.
Need to dig, HAHA (just kidding)

I have sold 100's of these in the past 15 years.
Really it not THAT rare, price was always around 40-50 and only in the past 2 years have the prices jumps to the 100+ mark and are still on the incline. But you are right with the reissue the prices might continue up a little more
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

It has already started increasing......
Never trust the Goblin King....
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

glockose wrote:
nightsblood wrote:Interesting. I don't think I've heard Dwarr; if I did, they obviously didn't leave an impression :)

It's from your back yard and you never heard it.
Need to dig, HAHA (just kidding)

I have sold 100's of these in the past 15 years.
Really it not THAT rare, price was always around 40-50 and only in the past 2 years have the prices jumps to the 100+ mark and are still on the incline. But you are right with the reissue the prices might continue up a little more
Yeah, I've heard the name for years but just never looked it up. Need to get out and find myself a Carnage LP too; one did show up in one of the stores in Columbia a few months ago, but the condition was pretty beat :(
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

released by a non-metal label for non-metal people is just bogus :(
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

what's all that non metal and hipsters talking? it's not metal anyway. but who cares?? it's heavy and it rules!

might split the dwarr talk from the original discussion though...?
LaGouille

Post by LaGouille »

Good question/debate Mr Glockose. I'm glad Drag City is doing this. Looking at what they did with Detroit proto punk legend Death and Kentucky premier punks Endtables, they're doing a great job. I personally don't care these release events are hyped to the max as long as the label selects unbelievable material from bands that have had no recognition up to now except from the usual small collector circles. This said, I can understand the frustration to see a band we have cherished for years (Death for me) suddenly unleashed upon people who don't give a fuck about them but will buy just because it is 'sold' as a cult act. Anyway, as long as these bands can AT LAST get recognition & money out of it, I think it is well deserved.
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

the death reissue was definitely a good job, and i'd be surprised if dwarr outsells that considering that death were around in the early-mid 70s, all black and much more in line with a punkish sound/attitude. dwarr is pretty strange/outsider/oddball stuff, and i think projecting sales figures for a reissue of this type at 10k is exaggering it quite a bit. personally i look forward to their reissue and encourage them to keep up the good work with their digging and finding obscure/forgotten releases to reissue. at the end of the day, who cares who the reissue is being marketed towards, or what genre the label is affiliated with?
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I understand the sentiment but I welcome the rerelease to be honest. And if it sells loads then that's great for the artist no? Every musician dreams of making money from their music surely so it's really just collector's sour grapes if they begrudge someone that.