Big Question, Please read and Comment [DWARR reissue/mod]

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Glockose

Big Question, Please read and Comment [DWARR reissue/mod]

Post by Glockose »

I have a question.
I have been trying to figure this out and want to hear from everyone/anyone on what they think.

Take a BIG cult record (anyone)
Wizard, Leather Nunn, Slaughter X, Bishup Steel, Legend, Dwarr, .......

Really anyone. doesn't matter a BIG metal LP that everyone wants.

IF it was going to be reissued (in mass production) what I mean by this is a copy would be in every BIG record store in the world. You could but the reissue anywere on line for under $15 on vinyl and $10 for a CD.

Would you care?
How would you feel?
Would it matter to you that now the LP would be MAIN STREEM and that most record buying people in the world (Colage Kids, Hipsters) would know this band?

Would the Original mean anything anymore? Worth anything?

I don't know how else to explain this so if you don't understand what I am asking. I'll try again
apollo.ra

Post by apollo.ra »

I came across this question last week
I went to the Wacken Open Air in Germany where Anvil were headlining one of the days. A few years ago anvil performed live in Komotini (Greece) infront of 30 people. Now they are headliners on a stage with more than 70k o people.
Many of my friends didn't like the thing that anvil had became Mainstreem after the release of the Movie. Anvil had a hell of a show but my friends didn't liked it because they have become mainsteem... I concider this reaction silly and bullshits! I prefer to see little children with Anvil T-Shirts instead of HIM or Slipknot. I wouldn't care if Slauter Xstroyes' Winterkill was available in every store in the Galaxy! HEAVY METAL ALL THE WAY!

Some say that the gems should stay hidden. no really... Bring Heathens Rage LPs to Play stores asap
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

I love heavy metal, but after a few years i also began to love collecting records almost as well. So i bought a re-issue of SLAUTER XSTROYES cause i really wanted it for the music and couldn't find the original. But there are some albums i need more for the sake of having it to be perfectly honest, like ZEN VENOM, i could buy the CD version cheap, but i hope to find an original first.

So yes, having originals is important for me. Does that answer your question? Don't know, but that is part of my mind set at the moment. I take it like 80% for the music, 20% finding rare stuff or obsucre bands. Many people have a problem with that, but it's my time and money i spend and waste and as long as i enoy it, there's no end in sight, no collection is complete and my own the least of all.

If others like a certain band or not is 100% insignificant.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

If they would ever became mainstream,the original would make their value launch!!See rare releases of recent mainstream bands.Publicity would increase demand,and this is THE ONLY case demand and supply matter,i.e when a band is mainstream.Anvil stopped being an underground band by the way ever since they released their 1st record.
Never trust the Goblin King....
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

I think it's bad and good in some ways.

Good : Poorer collectors will get chance to own rare vinyl re-release with good sound and original artwork.

Bad : Prices of original LPs I think increase because a lot more people will be involved in this circle (Obscure Metal Records).It means a lot of more money comes into the "market".
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

for me its always cool to find official reissues of rare records that i really want, the music is what matters of course....but lets be honest,its part of the magic to own one of those ultra limited old first pressings and knowing that you are a real die hard fan for having it...
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

A band's mainstream acceptance, or lack thereof, doesn't affect whether or not I want the original vinyl release or how much I will pay for it. I've always stuck to collecting the albums I like, regardless of the band's popularity or the album's rarity. I admit I do put more effort into getting the rare items on my want list than the common items, but I have to b/c, well, they're harder to find :)

How would a global reissue of something like Paradoxx affect the value of the original Paradoxx? In theory it would push the value up b/c you suddenly have a larger fan base, some of whom will be dying to get the original copy.

HOWEVER, with items like the ones mentioned, the price is already very high, so I'm not sure you'd see a big price jump. Sure more people would want an original Paradoxx, but it's already a $2,000++ record; I don't think you'll get enough really wealthy new fans to push it into $3,000, $4,0000, $5,000 territory. Maybe 1-2 copies spike to that price, but most of the world's population cannot pay that much for records.

Yes, as someone already pointed out we have seen record prices surge for some obscure acts once they get wider acceptance. However, with much of that stuff (I'm thinking about bands like Agalloch, Sunn O))), Electric Wizard, etc) their records are now running $100-200 apiece; that's an order of magnitude less than what you'd pay for a Paradoxx right now. Iron maiden is hugely popular but the Soundhouse Tapes is < $1,000. Same goes for the Bathory yellow goat LP; folks line up to pay for it even now, but the price still stays ~ $750. Slayer has a rabid global fanbase and even the nuttiest Slayer auctions I've seen stopped in the $2,000-2,500 range. Thus, I have my doubts that any of the high-dollar Metal Vinyl obscurities would really jump THAT MUCH in price if the album suddenly became well-known; the prices are prohibitively high already, so there's just not much room for upward mobility.

Just my 2 cents
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Thank you all.

What has happened is Today I found out the DWARR will be available to anyone/Everywhere in the next 6 weeks.

You will be able to purchase this as LP/CD in every collage town in the USA and from any major dist. around the world.

The thing that hits me the hardest is... This will not really be marketed tord Metal Fans. But to the HIPSTERS. (Young folks that just want to listen to or be seen with what someone else says is Kool) Most of the folks that are going to purchase this have no idea what Metal is or have ever heard Heavy metal before. They will be purchasing this for the pure fact that it is " IN", "KOOL"
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

im pretty sure its safe to say that hipsters won't give a shit about a dwarr reissue and this board won't see a romulan invasion anytime soon...
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

khiijol wrote:im pretty sure its safe to say that hipsters won't give a shit about a dwarr reissue and this board won't see a romulan invasion anytime soon...
The Invasion will never happen. Thats not the point at all.

And I am sorry to say this WILL be a Huge seller to the Hipsters
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Will they be rereleasing the 2 albums?

I never thought Dwarr was something that would appeal to hipsters, so I'm very surprised somebody is taking a risk with this release.

Wondering also what it will do to the prices of the originals.
Timewind

Post by Timewind »

glockose wrote:Thank you all.

What has happened is Today I found out the DWARR will be available to anyone/Everywhere in the next 6 weeks.

You will be able to purchase this as LP/CD in every collage town in the USA and from any major dist. around the world.

The thing that hits me the hardest is... This will not really be marketed tord Metal Fans. But to the HIPSTERS. (Young folks that just want to listen to or be seen with what someone else says is Kool) Most of the folks that are going to purchase this have no idea what Metal is or have ever heard Heavy metal before. They will be purchasing this for the pure fact that it is " IN", "KOOL"
How is it being marketed to 'hipsters' though? You haven't explained this.

But, as Linda Perhacs says... "Hey, Who Really Cares?" :)

Having said that though, if the sound (ie dodgy remastering), artwork, tracks order, logo, etc is changed that would irritate me and make the reissue pointless..
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

DWARR reissued on vinyl? Finally!

The 2000/2003 albums too?
msp

Post by msp »

I would like to know more about this "being marketed to hipsters" thing as well. What does this mean? Are they going to be featured in Rolling Stone or Billboard or something as a "band to watch"?
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

"Animals" will be re-released next month by a totally non-metal label : Drag City Records.