"The New Heavy Metal Movement"...

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
FuneralCircle

"The New Heavy Metal Movement"...

Post by FuneralCircle »

... Or whatever the fuck it's called. Am I the only one who finds this shit to be extremely lame? Bands like HOLY GRAIL, WHITE WIZZARD, CAULDRON, ENFORCER, and SKULL FIST I think suck tremendous amounts of arse, all do essentially the same thing, and have cliched song names like "Here's the Storm", "Tonight is the Night", and "Too Fast to Kill" or some shit. What the fuck happened? I guess that's what we get when a shite band like Cauldron jump onto Earache, you have a bunch of clones that somehow manage to sound worse.

The problem is how many people don't really think these bands are bullshit, but think they're up there with newer bands like Portrait, Atlantean Kodex, Twisted Tower Dire... I just needed to get this shit off my chest, been meaning to say something about this "movement" for far too long.

Thoughts?!
Last edited by FuneralCircle on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sammi Curr

Post by Sammi Curr »

Completely agree. Newer traditional metal, like almost all metal before, has both the real stuff and the real bullshit.
FuneralCircle

Post by FuneralCircle »

Sammi Curr wrote:Completely agree. Newer traditional metal, like almost all metal before, has both the real stuff and the real bullshit.
Of course, but I find this "fad" if you could call it that to be far more dividing than any other bullshit. Like "THE SWORD" with Doom Metal, I suppose people could tell they were full of shit. However, tons of people are pretty impressed with Skull Fist for example, but I think they're shit! They're even played Up The Hammers! in Greece alongside bands like Jaguar and Solstice. Uh?!
Nathaniel

Post by Nathaniel »

AS usual trneds go circle. Only 5 years ago you were looked up as being a retard because you still enjoyed traditionnal heavy metal, and now it's the very last hype. Funny enough to see that the thrash metal revival is already falling into oblivion since one year or so. I think that this new wave of old school heavy metal is going to follow the same trail.

I only disagree on what you said about ENFORCER, because they somehow do it well and they're a killer act on stage, sometimes even better than a couple of bands of old. So you should leavethem that at least. Plus they're very good musicians.

As usual there's some good and some bad. Just wait and see who will stand the test of time...
"Alcohol is the cause and the solution to all our problems" Homer J. Simpson

BANG YOUR FUCKING SKULL!!!
http://www.myspace.com/resistance667
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Some bands are okay, some not, i don't know if it makes sense to lump all of them togehter. Sure WHITE WIZZARD are posers, but at least they know how to write catchy songs. ENFORCER are okay and a great live band, IN SOLITUDE are a bit overtorqued with their pseudo occult image, but they did a fantastic debut album. I like them much more than PORTRAIT, CAULDRON, STEELWINGS or STRIKER. So not all of them suck big time, we will see how many of them are still around in a few years. Didn't hear SKULL FIST yet though.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
nabel

Post by nabel »

I'm probably the only one who thinks Enforcer is much better on record than on stage. Every move is like straight from the book. And they are too much like mothers little angels. Or then I'm just bitter old finnish bastard who's pissed as swedes take all the girls.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

ENFORCER are quite good and it's a bit unfair to mention them in the same line with bands like WHITE WIZZARD, but generally the majority of these bands sounds plastic, balless and girly to my ears, they lack aggression and generally THEY DON'T BITE, if you know what I mean. I totally fail to understand how the future of our music will be based on such acts.

BTW, it's more a Victim of Time related topic so I'm moving it there.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
nabel

Post by nabel »

Yeah, where is the power, where is the glory I find myself usually asking.
ION BRITTON

Re: "The New Heavy Metal Movement"...

Post by ION BRITTON »

FuneralCircle wrote: have cliched song names like "Here's the Storm", "Tonight is the Night", and "Too Fast to Kill" or some shit
The list is endless- "The striker strikes", "Chained up in chains", "Heavier than metal", "No false metal" etc. Full frontal cheesy metal attack!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Bane

Post by Bane »

FuneralCircle wrote:... Or whatever the fuck it's called. Am I the only one who finds this shit to be extremely lame? Bands like HOLY GRAIL, WHITE WIZZARD, CAULDRON, ENFORCER, and SKULL FIST I think suck tremendous amounts of arse, all do essentially the same thing, dress up like pretty boy morons and have cliched song names like "Here's the Storm", "Tonight is the Night", and "Too Fast to Kill" or some shit. What the fuck happened? I guess that's what we get when a shite band like Cauldron jump onto Earache, you have a bunch of clones that somehow manage to sound worse.

The problem is how many people don't really think these bands are bullshit, but think they're up there with newer bands like Portrait, Atlantean Kodex, Twisted Tower Dire... I just needed to get this shit off my chest, been meaning to say something about this "movement" for far too long.

Thoughts?!
For one, Enforcer have been around for as long as Cauldron so the don't fit into the whole "clone" equation. I also wouldn't put them in the same category as White Wizzard and the rest of the bands you mentioned. I find them pretty damn enjoyable and not as, say, limp-wristed as some of the others.

The long and short of it is, why shouldn't bands like Enforcer, Skull Fist etc play traditional metal festivals like Up The Hammers? They play traditional metal. Granted, not to everyone's liking, but there are plenty of people who like them and like it or not the decision lies with the organisers in the end. Sure, there are other bands I would rather see play, but I have long since stopped pointing fingers at bands I don't like and saying they aren't deserving of a place on the line-up... because who the hell am I to say that?? My opinion holds no weight when it comes to dictating who is or isn't entitled to play a gig or festival.

Also, cliched song titles don't grind on me at all. Heavy metal is rampant with cliches, whether it's in song titles, lyrical content or the moves bands perform on stage. How many Doom bands can you name who sing about the occult, funerals, Satan, wizards (!!) and so on?? It's nigh on impossible to be original in Heavy metal these days. I say: GOOD! Bands ought to spend less time trying to reinvent the wheel and more time playing music that they're passionate about.

Which brings me back to your post. Those bands you mentioned mightn't be to your/our liking but who are we to say whether or not they're passionate about what they do? Maybe I'm getting old or something, but I'm growing tired of all the negativity in the underground scene. I'm not suggesting people start biting their lips and not speaking their mind for one second - I will always speak my mind - but there are various things in the underground scene that, for the want of a better phrase, have been getting on my tits lately.

These kind of threads being one of those things. We can sit infront of our computers and moan about how these signed bands are soulless and undeserving of their success and yada yada yada, OR... we can start threads about the bands we actually like, the bands we want to support and see succeed.

I'm rambling and I'm not even sure if any of that makes sense, but I have 3 more hours in work until I can have a beer and I have to waste it doing something :)

- Barry
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

I was going to post about how Enforcer should be grouped more along the lines of bands like Portrait and In Solitude and Ram and not White Wizzard, but thankfully several other people have already done that. However, I must say regarding the 'cliche' issue, cliches were still cliches in the 80s as well. They were as much an issue then as they are now. Then as now, sometimes they can be used effectively, sometimes not.
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

I am EXTREMELY sceptical about this scene as well.Beyond not liking any of these bands musically (which to me doesnt matter,everyone has their likes and dislikes,its just taste) i have to question these bands motives.
I sometimes have to come to the conclusion that in the end its a matter of finances,what happened in the 90s with sweden,and in the 80s.the country is simply loaded,gigs and rehearsals are free,u play 3 gigs abroad and the swedish ministry of culture pays for your flights!!! as RAM mentioned in Greece.I am not saying the bands are not talented!! But the sincerity,the integrity is simply not there.what IS there is people worrying about die hards on forums.which serves to prove what metal 2010 Anno Satani really means.
as for Cauldron and that type of stuff these guys are fucking false,if you have a metal gut,and you know what sweating like hell in the front row with fists in the air means,u can just tell.the rest is just idle typing.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

FuneralCircle wrote:... Or whatever the fuck it's called. Am I the only one who finds this shit to be extremely lame? Bands like HOLY GRAIL, WHITE WIZZARD, CAULDRON, ENFORCER, and SKULL FIST I think suck tremendous amounts of arse, all do essentially the same thing, dress up like pretty boy morons and have cliched song names like "Here's the Storm", "Tonight is the Night", and "Too Fast to Kill" or some shit. What the fuck happened? I guess that's what we get when a shite band like Cauldron jump onto Earache, you have a bunch of clones that somehow manage to sound worse.

Thoughts?!
you should make a list of what new bands suck and which are "tr00" in your opinion :lol:
Sammi Curr

Post by Sammi Curr »

Also, I know a lot of people hate Helvetets Port, but I think they only LOOK like a band that would suck. Their songs are awesome and actually not all that predictable in terms of the riff progressions. The ideas actually sound very fresh to me and I very much enjoy the "sitting on the couch with a 30 pack and jamming other metal albums" production on the full length. I know some will completely disagree, but oh well.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

FuneralCircle wrote:SKULL FIST
CHEST FOOT. RIBCAGE ELBOW.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."