"The New Heavy Metal Movement"...

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
daniel

Post by daniel »

Yeah, saying 'hey, your band is cool, we'd like to put you on one of our cover-mount compilation CD:s TO HELP SELL MORE COPIES OF OUR MAGAZINE... but you better pay for it suckah' makes the band the 'idiots'. Christ I can't believe someone is defending this bullshit corporate crap.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

Well, my old band (Shackles) had a song on a Metal Maniacs compilation a few years back. We paid for the privilege and never expected otherwise. I think a band is a touch naive if they don't expect to pay when these glossy heavy metal magazines are concerned. That said, as far as I can tell, being on the CD did fuck all for us, so I wouldn't recommend it to other bands. Better off forging strong relationships in the underground and promoting your band that way.

By the way, this idea of paying for promotion is not a new one. It's just that the chances of making your money back these days are far slimmer.
daniel

Post by daniel »

I suppose I've just turned too much of a blind eye to these sorts of machinations, even though I sometimes put an effort into making music I have never had to deal with this sort of money-grabbing though I've been offered vinyl releases even. I just think it is FULLY cuntish to have´bands pay for these things, if a magazine is supposedly into supporting the underground and supposedly selecting bands they think are cool from across the globe, then by what sort of logic are they demanding payment from demo-level bands for exposure? It's not as if the bands have been begging to be featured. I might be naive to the capitalist shit ways of today or the entire history of the Universe but I still don't see any real reason to defend said magazine here.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Further I find it ridiculous to call a band foolish for thinking favours might be given for free; playing music and doing it from the heart... a band shouldn't be REQUIRED to be utterly cynical and look at everything through capitalist eyes... this is so much more a reflection on the utter shit that is the music industry and the supposed integrity of most companies involved than any sort of reason to critisize a band that's just fucking trying to make music.
Oliver/KIT

Post by Oliver/KIT »

Do not forget it is immensly expensive to to magazine cds with all that ascap or Gema money involved. If they weren't told in advance it is shit, but 300 pounds for that promotional effect a big magazine has is ok in my eyes with all the expenses involved. Don't forget they will get money back if they are in ascap or Gema..
Bane

Post by Bane »

daniel wrote:Further I find it ridiculous to call a band foolish for thinking favours might be given for free; playing music and doing it from the heart... a band shouldn't be REQUIRED to be utterly cynical and look at everything through capitalist eyes...
Daniel, it's Terrorizer magazine we're talking about here, a glossy publication that has circulation figures of 12,000+. It's not some zine. I'm sorry but the band were completely naive to think they would be getting anything free off them. Calling them "idiots" might have been a bit harsh but anyone who knows anything about mainstream media ought to know better. I'm not defending Terrorizer for one second, I just think bands (including your friends) need to wise up.

Oliver made a very good point also.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Yeah, of course these things are true as well. I think I was more in a can't in any way side with Terrorizer mood haha ;) It IS sad though the cold fashion it all went down.