Holy Sword - New Metal fanzine

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Kostello

Holy Sword - New Metal fanzine

Post by Kostello »

Holy Sword, issue 1 will be out in the 6th of March, making its debut at Up the Hammers V Festival in Athens.

You will find interviews with: ARRYAN PATH, ATLANTEAN KODEX, BLAZE (Japan), CONVIXION, CUSTARD, DEXTER WARD, DOOMSWORD, ENFORCER, FORCE MAJEURE, HIBRIA, IN SOLITUDE, MARAUDER, MORTICIAN, PAGAN ALTAR, PRAYING MANTIS, SLAUTER XSTROYES, STORMWARRIOR, STORRMBRINGER, WILD KNIGHT. Plus SAVAGE GRACE and German Metal in the 90’s specials and of course dozens of reviews (CD/LP/demo/fanzines).
English written, with color cover and more than 60 pages of Pure Metal!

Those interested can check Greek mail-orders that will be carrying it from the following week or contact me for exact postage prices.

Reliable and METAL distributors are needed, so get in touch!
Kostello

Post by Kostello »

The fanzine is already out, check our webpage for a list of mail-orders that carry it, or order directly from us

http://www.holysword.gr

You can also download the fanzine in pdf format.

Thanks to the guys that have commented so far and have supported this effort.
Dark Stranger

Post by Dark Stranger »

I highly recommend this zine, picked it up at Up The Hammers and devoured it on the plane home, great writing, excellent questions, and packed full of stuff!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

U comin to KIT or HOA? Would be cool to pick it up from the hands of the editor himself :)
Kostello

Post by Kostello »

DaN wrote:U comin to KIT or HOA? Would be cool to pick it up from the hands of the editor himself :)
the editor (one of the three...) had some money problems and will not be at KIT (or HOA) this year. If you settle with buying a copy from one of the Greek guys that will have copies there, it will be just as good. :)
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

good zine, good work. euxaristo
DMR

Post by DMR »

That article on German '90s metal was great. It's just what I needed!
daniel

Post by daniel »

Giving it a read now while I'm eating, looks cool :) Have to say I lauged when reading the comment about Pagan Altar being one of the greatest bands in the history of heavy metal, that might be overdoing it just a BIT ;)
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
heavymetalmaniac

Post by heavymetalmaniac »

Interesting and well done fanzine, great reading. When it comes to "glorification" (Pagan Altar) there are many bands nowadays who people think are "Metal Gods". Bands like Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol and Brocas Helm are meanwhile considered as "unbelieveable great" while I think that Manilla Road AND Cirith Ungol but also Brocas Helm are totally overrated. It's just my opinion and back then when they were (more) active nobody really cared a lot about them. Of course this doesn't mean too much but if I read comments about these bands nowadays it sometimes feels like if they have invented the "Epic Metal" genre. Well or they might just not be my cup of tea.

Back the the fanzine: I guess I'll buy the printed version when I see it (KIT).
Trigger

Post by Trigger »

daniel wrote:Giving it a read now while I'm eating, looks cool :) Have to say I lauged when reading the comment about Pagan Altar being one of the greatest bands in the history of heavy metal, that might be overdoing it just a BIT ;)
In terms of underground,the "greatest band" has nothing to do with album sales,so why not?Not my all time fave band as well,but I think they could make it to a relevant hall of fame,along with C.Ungol,M.Road and B.Helm...The fact they are quite unknown does not exclude them from that list.I know you don't concentrate on popularity,but what else do you think a band should possess to be considered on of the greats?Trivial question....
Never trust the Goblin King....
daniel

Post by daniel »

Yeah not about sales ;)

The thing about PA is that I don't find them especially metal actually, I like the first two albums, good stuff but the screechy vocals can get on my nerves. The third album then I don't even see as metal really, lots of folkey influences and hard rock mixed with some metal. The band's importance is also often exagerrated to say the least, they were practically nonexistant in the 80's so it's rather doubtful they influenced anyone at all. Yeah, PA aren't especially metal, I wouldn't even joke about them being in the same league as Liege Lord, Medieval Steel, Tantrum, Heathens Rage(and countless bands from outside the US ;)) etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. (<- for effect :lol: ). Yes, I mentioned some obscure bands that haven't excerted much influence, but then I'm not talking about which have been the most important in the scene just which matter to me - and there's a difference as PA fanatics seem to infer the band was in some way important. Also, yes, seeing as PA's music is never AMAZING it does somewhat irk me how fanatical the praise of them gets.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

daniel wrote: The thing about PA is that I don't find them especially metal actually, I like the first two albums, good stuff but the screechy vocals can get on my nerves. The third album then I don't even see as metal really, lots of folkey influences and hard rock mixed with some metal. The band's importance is also often exagerrated to say the least, they were practically nonexistant in the 80's so it's rather doubtful they influenced anyone at all. Yeah, PA aren't especially metal, I wouldn't even joke about them being in the same league as Liege Lord, Medieval Steel, Tantrum, Heathens Rage(and countless bands from outside the US ;)) etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. (<- for effect :lol: ). Yes, I mentioned some obscure bands that haven't excerted much influence, but then I'm not talking about which have been the most important in the scene just which matter to me - and there's a difference as PA fanatics seem to infer the band was in some way important. Also, yes, seeing as PA's music is never AMAZING it does somewhat irk me how fanatical the praise of them gets.
This sums up my thoughts & feelings about Pagan Altar, minus the fact that I don't find anything particularly interesting in the first 2 albums either. I suppose it's not very politically correct in the underground circles nowadays NOT to glorify each and every note Pagan Altar ever recorded, but this is honestly how I feel about them.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Rick

Post by Rick »

Well, I thought they were ok although a bit too "light" for my taste. Then I saw them live and was crushed! Several friends of mine had the same reaction. I'm extremely looking forward to seeing them again by the end of the month.
hload

Re: Holy Sword - New Metal fanzine

Post by hload »

Kostas_Kailiazis wrote:Holy Sword, issue 1 will be out in the 6th of March, making its debut at Up the Hammers V Festival in Athens.

You will find interviews with: ARRYAN PATH, ATLANTEAN KODEX, BLAZE (Japan), CONVIXION, CUSTARD, DEXTER WARD, DOOMSWORD, ENFORCER, FORCE MAJEURE, HIBRIA, IN SOLITUDE, MARAUDER, MORTICIAN, PAGAN ALTAR, PRAYING MANTIS, SLAUTER XSTROYES, STORMWARRIOR, STORRMBRINGER, WILD KNIGHT. Plus SAVAGE GRACE and German Metal in the 90’s specials and of course dozens of reviews (CD/LP/demo/fanzines).
English written, with color cover and more than 60 pages of Pure Metal!

Those interested can check Greek mail-orders that will be carrying it from the following week or contact me for exact postage prices.

Reliable and METAL distributors are needed, so get in touch!
it says issue 2. issue 1 was the cd-rom release some years ago? the article 'bout 90's deutsche mania brought tears to my eyes. it was great to recruite the editor of behind the mirror for it.

edit: reading bout sharatan and vikings in one article it was like drinking nektar.

i prefer reactor's 2nd release though(japanese only).
daniel

Post by daniel »

:D It does feel good being in agreement with someone about PA, I'm used to being called an idiot for my opinion. Even got voted 'Idiot of the Year' or something similar on the PA forum for slamming the 3rd release :lol: (I wrote a bunch of reviews under the name of 'Knights of Fire' that were mostly negative, except for the one on Ironsword, wanting to see what the reaction was when there was no reviewer in that sense to insult, well it quickly turned into having to find out who it was, who dared critisize PA, and when it came out it was me, voila; instant lynching :)).