THE DECADE IS ALMOST OVER, WHAT ARE THE NOUGHTIES CLASSICS?

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

Black Axe wrote:
'pataphysicien wrote:I agree. some that haven't been named:

Memory Driven
It's not even out a year. Give it some time.

I have to say that I consider most of the albums on your list to be good, but not classic material.
I had the same thought, but what is 'classic material'? we're talking about a decade that's not even over yet, plus we're not talking about a decade that reinvented many metal-wheels, at least not in the truer regions of metal.. so how do you judge a classic now? is it innovative? does it do something that others haven't? does it inspire bands to play a certain way? neither AoS, Orodruin, Ogre, Pale Divine nor Hour of 13 were super-innovative, but all of them have really nailed down a great individual sound sound and those releases are in a way 'the best of the pack' to me (lots of others were named earlier, but I won't discuss them here). Hail, Negative Plane and TRoB are bands that REALLY take Black Metal places it's been dying to go but wasn't allowed because the later 90s 'happened' [:(] and they do it masterfully - classics. 'Release' takes Doom Metal elsewhere, really develops a proggy, jammy, mellow style that is new and awesome - classic. 'Relative Obscurity' is (arguably) Dennis Cornelius' best and it is also a fresh take on Doom that does not ghey out anywhere. I should also put 'Drawing Down The Sun' here, because like 'Watching From A Distance' (easy to see why that is a milestone) it is totally outside of the pack soundwise. and it moves me to tears, which is a good sign of a 'classic'.

Ideally we should make an appointment in 20 years and talk about this again, but even then it's still not clear we'll end up agreeing on our classics.

edith to add Nagelfar - Virus West. the BM album that single-handedly saved German BM at the beginning of the decade and still stands like a monolith between viking helmet wearing jokers, Scando-copycat myspace-evil projects and skinheads playing faster RAC/Oi. and Arghoslent, because they are Arghoslent. the ONE band to always stand out from the Death Metal pack (fuck their politics though).
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
bigfootkit wrote:
mordred wrote: Well, the Grand Magus album is excellent anyway, 100 percent real metal.
Why the "controversy", about my picks? As i've spent most of the noughties digging through the oldies i've probably missed a lot of good music from this decade, hence the thread. However, i fail to see why anyone would feel moved to negatively comment on albums which i connect with. They just happened to be the ones which i've come back to most often over the years since their release.
Didn't really understand the comment about "big labels" either. Yes, the Down album was released by Elektra, but since when are Scooch Pooch, Surfdog, Rise Above & (the sadly kaput) MFN big labels? Also, what does the size of the label have to do with the quality of the music? Sounds like inverse snobbery to me.
Anyway, enough o' that.
How do you all feel the noughties stand up retrospectively Metalwise? I reckon it's a no-brainer that the '80's is probably the favourite Metallic-era here, but how do we feel the state of the "scene" compares nowadays?
Hey ho, relax bro. No negativity about your picks here. You've made a bunch of "assumptions" here. I guess you didn't comprehend what I said. Let me be clear....when I come to this forum, I usually see the underground-est bands/labels being listed and it was just a surprise to see a list like yours pop up here at this forum where they mostly deal with obscurities. (for the 2nd/3rd time) There's nothing wrong with you or the list. I like a couple of the albums you listed.
Sorry if i came on a bit strong there Shadow Kingdom, i guess i was feeling a bit touchy or something at the point when i responded, as it all came out a bit "AAAArggghhhh!"
No harm was intended, just venting.
No offence taken i hope.
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

I will wait until the time is right for Scott Ian to come onto VH1 and reveal the answers.
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

Vomitor 'Bleeding the priest'
Pagan Altar 'Mythical & magical'
Nifelheim 'Servants of darkness'
Arghoslent 'Incorrigible bigotry'
Abysmal Grief 's/t'
Repugnant 'Epitome of darkness'
Portrait 's/t'
Primordial 'Spirit the earth aflame' + beyond
Necros Christos 'Triune impurity rites'
Nocturnal Graves 'Satans cross'
Morrigan 'Celts'
The Darkness 'Permission to land'

Gospel of the Horns 'Eve of the conqueror' MLP
The Devil's Blood 'Come reap' MLP

That's not to compare any of those to releases from any other era.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Professor Black wrote:I will wait until the time is right for Scott Ian to come onto VH1 and reveal the answers.
:lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
PsychoDad

Post by PsychoDad »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote: THUNDER RIDER - Tales of Darkness and Light Chapter II
Nice to see that there are others that appreciate this great band. Hope they'll release a new album some time soon.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

PsychoDad wrote:
Nice to see that there are others that appreciate this great band. Hope they'll release a new album some time soon.
Yeah, cool band, don't you think? Great on stage (KIT), a private vinyl release when it wasn't that common to do that and they have their own style of metal music of course.

Only a tiny little bit slow when it comes to releasing their albums :lol:
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
PsychoDad

Post by PsychoDad »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:
PsychoDad wrote:
Yeah, cool band, don't you think? Great on stage (KIT), a private vinyl release when it wasn't that common to do that and they have their own style of metal music of course.

Only a tiny little bit slow when it comes to releasing their albums :lol:
Haven't seen them live, but I'll try to catch them next time they visit Europe. Second best christian heavy metal band after Lordian Guard...
hload

Post by hload »

saviour machine-revelations and rarities
yngwie
Luis

Post by Luis »

I'd have to go with

Pagan Altar: Mythical & Magical
Isen Torr : Mighty and Superior
Ironsword : Overlords of Chaos (yes, it's only got a year, but I'm pretty sure we'll be talking about it 20 years from now, easily!)

That's the ones I'd fully back up as instant classics... But as it has been said, it takes some distance to really be able to answer this question correctly.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Luis wrote:Ironsword : Overlords of Chaos (yes, it's only got a year, but I'm pretty sure we'll be talking about it 20 years from now, easily!)
Despite giving it numerous listens last year, I'm not sure I've even put on this year. It doesn't move me at all.
Luis

Post by Luis »

Black Axe wrote:
Luis wrote:Ironsword : Overlords of Chaos (yes, it's only got a year, but I'm pretty sure we'll be talking about it 20 years from now, easily!)
Despite giving it numerous listens last year, I'm not sure I've even put on this year. It doesn't move me at all.
Each to his own, I guess!

To me, listening to

"We came to fight
Against ancestral foes
The blades hissed
And the arrows sang
White masked lackeys
Pursue us without rest
Until we perish
In this accursed land

From the skull gate they shall ride
A dreadful race side by side

Hyberborean hordes"

Has me off my seat head banging straight away!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Interesting to see the high esteem Pagan Altar's latest album is held in by many of you. I enjoyed "Lords Of Hypocrisy", but never got round to buying the others. I guess i need to hear "Mythical & Magical", to see what i'm missing.
Did i really see The Darkness listed? :shock: I admire your chutzpa.
GJ

Post by GJ »

Some of my mostly spun works of the 00's

Adramelch - Broken History (as good as Irae Melanox - maybe lacking the mysterious "aura" of the debut, but the songs and performances are divine)
Dark Quarterer - Violence (their greatest imo)
Domine - Emperor of the black runes (this one clicked with me for some reason)
Manilla Road - Gates of fire (still waiting for them to deliver material competable with the full hand they delivered from Metal - Mystification though)
Brocas Helm - Defender of the Crown
Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy
John Arch - A twist of Fate (Mmmmmore!)
Skullview - Consequenses of failure
Slough Feg - Atavism (well, all their stuff really!)
The Hand of Doom - Poisonoise (need to break the rules for this one - Completely unbeatable at what they do! (did))
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

bigfootkit wrote:Interesting to see the high esteem Pagan Altar's latest album is held in by many of you. I enjoyed "Lords Of Hypocrisy", but never got round to buying the others. I guess i need to hear "Mythical & Magical", to see what i'm missing.
M&M is even more 70s influenced than the other Pagan Altar releases. It should be right up your alley from what I know of your tastes.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.