Anvil Chorus - The Killing Sun CD

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Capricorn

Anvil Chorus - The Killing Sun CD

Post by Capricorn »

Hello guys....here's my latest release, which should be of interest to many of you, especially all you old school tape traders:

---------------------------------------------------------

ImageANVIL CHORUS - The Killing Sun CD (ROCK026-2). Nearly 3 decades after the group's formation and a couple years after their recent reformation, this legendary underground San Francisco progressive heavy metal band unleashes their first full length debut album for the Rockadrome label. Consisting solely of newly recorded material from their early 80s heyday, it's destined to be the classic album everyone has long awaited from this magical group. Led by guitarist Thaen Rasmussen and vocalist/bassist Aaron Zimpel (who have also had roles in various bands such as Heathen, Metal Church, Vicious Rumors, Release and Control), the integrity of their original sound is fully maintained and should please anyone who has followed the band through the years or owned any of their heavily circulated demo tapes. A 12-page color booklet with liner notes written by San Francisco metal legend Ron Quintana (KUSF/Metal Mania), cover art by Mark Devito (Motorhead) and packed with lyrics and photos, completes this magnificent and much anticipated release.

Anvil Chorus. The name itself suggests something a little more than the typical hard rock band; something intelligent and complex, even sophisticated -- and they were. Anvil Chorus made a thinking man's metal. There was such a thing and it wasn't thought of as a style, just good music that put some structure and challenge into a normally repetitive form. Clearly influenced by the prevailing titans of progressive rock and heavy metal of the day, Anvil Chorus was a fount of unique inspirations. A group of talented individuals, half of them multi-instrumentalists and all of them bringing to the table a creative flair. The composition, arrangement and melodic skills enjoyed a harmonic and contrapuntal implementation that was delivered crushingly… hugely. The sound was Big with a capital “B”. The guitar harmonies, keyboard wizardry and bottled-lightning rhythm section were a powerful collision. Heavy riffs, catchy melodies, belting vocals and a refined aesthetic completed the signature sound; Anvil Chorus, in the early 1980’s, rightly earned a buzz of their own for their unique and exquisite style, which to this day continues to be regarded as significant and influential.

Musicians featured on the recording include:

Aaron Zimpel – Vocals, Bass, Synthesizer
Thaen Ramussen – Guitar, Vocals
Joe Bennett – Drums
Phil Bennett - Keyboards, Piano, Hammond B3
Doug Piercy – Guitar (Deadly Weapons, Red Skies, Man Made Machines, Death of a Dream, Tales, Blade, Once Again, Such is Life)

Additional musicians:
Carlos Hernandez – Guitar (Death of a Dream)
Mark Bradley – Piano (Once Again)
Jon Simon - Keyboards (Once Again)

Produced by Thaen Rasmussen and Aaron Zimpel. Recorded at: Denmark Studios, San Francisco CA., Bennett Studio, Walnut Creek CA., Redlight Studio, Martinez CA. Mixed and Mastered By Damien Rasmussen @ Catacombs, San Francisco

Anvil Chorus 2009's touring line-up is:
Aaron Zimpel, Thaen Rasmussen, Carlos Hernandez, Steve Kilgore

Track Listing:

1. Deadly Weapons
2. Red Skies
3. Phase to Phase
4. Man Made Machines
5. After Time
6. Death of a Dream
7. Blue Flames
8. Tales
9. The Blade
10. European
11. Such is Life
12. Once Again

Total Running Time: [57:03]

Press:

“These new recordings on this disc are representative of some of the best moments of those years when Metal was evolving from the depths of obscurity to becoming the huge force it was in the eighties. This Music is Awesome!” - Ron Quintana KUSF/Metal Mania

Head over to www.rockadrome.com to check it out!

-------------------------------------

I must say, I myself, was a bit skeptical when re-recording the demo tracks was proposed. Usually, after 20 years re-recordings just don't sound the same, capture that same magic or have some new influences mixed in. Well, I'm here to say you can toss all that out the window when it comes to these guys. The execution here is stunning and with the exception of Blue Flames and The Blade, everything is nearly identical to the way it was originally played. Aaron's vocals and all the masterful guitar work is so much like the original 80s recordings you'd almost swear they were the same tracks. What they were really after was an improvement in the drum sound and overall sound quality (which was lacking on the demos) and they certainly achieved it here. Hopefully, they'll be able to come over to Europe and play Keep It True or Headbangers or something in the future. Enjoy!
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

So THE ALBUM is out and not many reactions here..... what's up guys?! :D
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I guess it must be the word 're-recording' which usually puts off people in this forum. Personally, I will give it a try, but I can't guarantee that this will happen soon enough.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
mordred

Post by mordred »

To my ears, the album sounds much better than the old demos.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

I was hoping they'd record "Rusted Armor", maybe next time?
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

May next time.... there's still so much that could be re-recorded!!!!!!! "Rusting Armor " was another great song from what I recall....
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

picked this up yesterday and have listened to it 3 times since. it's great. first exposure to the band. a friend sent me the demos today but haven't listened yet.
Sammi Curr

Post by Sammi Curr »

This might be the only instance EVER when a rerecording is on par with the old stuff. This album sounds awesome, totally keeps that vibe of early Queensryche/Sacred Blade meets Signals era Rush.
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

This might be the only instance EVER when a rerecording is on par with the old stuff.
I think you are correct!
LaGouille

Post by LaGouille »

This album is close to perfection. Hard to put into words how great it is!
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I'm going to buy this as well. I heard it and it sounded great to my ears.
Long Live The Loud !!!
tearitup1234

Post by tearitup1234 »

I'll be purchasing this one soon as well, can't wait to check it out.
Professor Black

Post by Professor Black »

It's the first album in a long time that I put back on the shelf for a while to avoid burnout.
Buried By Time and Dust

Post by Buried By Time and Dust »

anyone going to the Anvil Chorus Release Party at Slims in San Francisco?I think it's on a Thursday November 12th?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Buried By Time and Dust wrote:anyone going to the Anvil Chorus Release Party at Slims in San Francisco?I think it's on a Thursday November 12th?
Cheers for the tip. Got a friend who's in town so I mailed him about it.. Are they playing live?