Pentagram and Gates of Slumber Live Review

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
nightsblood

Pentagram and Gates of Slumber Live Review

Post by nightsblood »

I made it to the seond night of the Planet Caravan festival in North Carolina last weekend. I only got to see three bands. The Gates of Slumber sounded killer live, and the guitarist/singer was really nice (I chatted with him for a minute after their set). Next up was Orange Goblin, who did a fun, heavy set. I'm not familiar with their stuff but it was a good performance. Once they were done I made sure to get right up to the security rail almost dead-center to check out Pentagram. We all know their dubious live reputation, but they were on the mark that night. Bobby put on quite a show and showed everyone he can still belt 'em out. Setlist is below:
1- wheel of fortune
2- forever my queen
3- review your choices
4- walk in the blue light
5- take no more (to be on their next album, maybe a June release, entitled 'last rites', all according to Bobby)
6- petrified (played it really slow and heavy!)
7- all your sins
8- earth flight
9- silence of the swamp (new tune written by Bobby and current guitarist Russell)
10- 20 buck spin
Encore
11- sign of the wolf
12- when the screams come. For this song, they brought up a special guest on second guitar- Victor Griffin! Can't believe that i got to see Bobby and Victor on stage together!

Pentagram is headed to Europe for the fall, then maybe back to the East Coast of the US for shows during the winter.
Not that I get out to many shows (not that many shows come within 200 miles of me) but this was the best concert I've been to in years
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Tobiee

Post by Tobiee »

Killer setlist! A few changed could be made..the songs from the 70's is fucking fantastic and then a couple from S/T aswell, really hope they come to sweden sometime soon.
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

yeah, they are on fire! they did an amazing show when I saw them at Hell's Pleasure and I've so far read only good reviews. I'd love to see them in Norway or Sweden soon.. one small correction: I believe the new doomy tune is called 'South of the Swamp'. a real heavy fucker that one!
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

'pataphysicien wrote:they did an amazing show when I saw them at Hell's Pleasure and I've so far read only good reviews.
A friend of mine told me the exact contrary. The singer was simply too high on drugs to offer a decent performance. The songs were badly played, etc. The real PENTAGRAM at this show was the Chilean one, according to them.
Gott ist tot.
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

oh no. sure nobody can replace Victor Griffin, but Russ Strahan did more than a decent job. Bobby was on fire. I don't really care if he was on drugs, drunk, both, or neither. on my end I received on of the best shows of (still) one of the most unique, energetic and charismatic frontmen in metal and rock. kick ass performace imo and so far I have yet to read a bad review of their recent gigs. I missed the Chilean Pentagram, so nothing to say about them.
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

It wasn't a question of who was the singer for him. It was a question of a bad performance, of someone that wasn't able to simply perform. He wasn't the same with this opinion, too.

It just looks that this performance was a love or hate thing.
Gott ist tot.
Lama

Post by Lama »

Bobby is Bobby. When performing he always acts like a total nutcase. Which he, in fact, also is. But that didn't had a bad effect on his singing! On the contrary!!! The gig on Hell's Pleasure was just great! Had the time of my life!
Kampel Destruction