2009 releases

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

The new Iron Man is one to get for every fan of doom metal of course.
Slough Feg, Heaven and Hell and Forsaken have also made really good albums. There's probably more, but moving house has made me a little confused.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
alien laserblast

Post by alien laserblast »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:
REALMBUILDER is a band with a very clever concept, but they seem to have a lack of skills to deliver it properly. They (try to) play obscure epic metal in a MANILLA ROAD sense, but some songs are just a bit wayward. Listen to their myspace songs, and maybe you know what i mean. I woudn't be surprised though if they end up as a cult band for some fans.
Just checked them out and ordered the LP... this is great, real unique sound and SOLID hooks. Singer has a cool casual approach... Can't wait to jam the rest of it. Thanks for posting.
Obsessed by Metal

Post by Obsessed by Metal »

The Knell wrote: Dark Forest was nearly as bad as Alestorm
wow that's an extreme comment. They clearly have this early Maiden vibe IMO I thought it was pretty obvious but maybe I'm wrong. I don't recall anything about trolls but I like their lyrics about old English legends
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Devilment wrote:
The Knell wrote: Dark Forest was nearly as bad as Alestorm
wow that's an extreme comment. They clearly have this early Maiden vibe IMO I thought it was pretty obvious but maybe I'm wrong. I don't recall anything about trolls but I like their lyrics about old English legends
Well I like the cover very much and I dont mind the topic either (not necessarily trolls, was not a serious comment on that) but the music is far from the mystic, obscure sound it makes one to expect...the package was fairly deceiving to me. Maybe I already expected something way too different before putting this in. Still I think the NWOBHM vibe is very small to none and the music is way too "happy" for its own good....there is this nice gloomy intro on Fear Dearg and then the band is all like polka and jumping around...doesnt fit at all. well just my thoughts
now is the madness in hell
we're eat babies flesh
and suck the mothers blood next
we're perverse devils well
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

alien laserblast wrote:
Sgt. Kuntz wrote:
REALMBUILDER is a band with a very clever concept, but they seem to have a lack of skills to deliver it properly. They (try to) play obscure epic metal in a MANILLA ROAD sense, but some songs are just a bit wayward. Listen to their myspace songs, and maybe you know what i mean. I woudn't be surprised though if they end up as a cult band for some fans.
Just checked them out and ordered the LP... this is great, real unique sound and SOLID hooks. Singer has a cool casual approach... Can't wait to jam the rest of it. Thanks for posting.
Oh doG, a friend of mine bought this one on Peter/IHate's recommendation and we both found it so awful we laughed out loud. Sure, they got some good ideas and a promising concept but everything else, playing, production and especially the vocals - Horrendous.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I'm actually really looking forward to the new Sacrifice CD out soon..

The tracks on myspace sound like they haven't lost anything or gayed out like most classic bands generally do to be 'modern'
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Obsessed by Metal

Post by Obsessed by Metal »

yeah I forgot about the new Forsaken, I think they really outdid themselves on this one.

I actually liked the Minotaur return album it's an explosive mixture of death/thrash with some punk overtones

I can't wait to hear the new Iron Man, should be pretty soon
msp

Post by msp »

I'm struggling to think of much that I have bought that has been released this year but a few that come to mind:

Procession - The Cult of Disease
Atlantean Kodex - The Pnakotic Vinyls
Scarab & Asomvel 10"

I've still not heard the new Obituary Lp yet sitting at home so that may be up there. New Stratovarius album was fairly enjoyable as well.

Most disappointing: Helvetets Port - just a bit :? for me to be honest
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Realmbuilder seems to be yet another one with great looks but atrocious music. Well it has certain nice bits on the myspace samples like the obscure sounding start of bow before... but the vocals totally destroy the whole deal which wasnt that much from the start
we're eat babies flesh
daniel

Post by daniel »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Realmbuilder shit. And that artwork isn't good, not even in a crappy way, it's just godawful. And hey, Scarab, wtf is up with the drums? I mentioned that in another forum and got ridiculed of course.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

daniel wrote:And that artwork isn't good, not even in a crappy way, it's just godawful.
I'm glad bands use handdrawn and -colored covers more (at least this one appears to be that way), even if this one is nothing really special
we're eat babies flesh
voidghast

Post by voidghast »

Hmm I don't find Realmbuilder weird at all..it's pretty much 100% generic save for the "bored guy" vocals(a bit quirky). Kind of reminds me of the major SUCK that is "Meadows of Maseilya" from Longings Past. No offense to anyone who thinks that album is a "godly masterpiece!" or whatever but I find it to be a complete failure at truly epic Manilla Road-style heavy metal. I think "Realmbuilder" is a pretty cool band name though.

Only things interesting me in 2009 thus far are:
Todesbonden-Sleep Now Quiet Forest(more progressive than metal)
Wobbler-Afterglow(not metal at all..well done progressive rock)

I've yet to hear the new Beherit/Slough Feg releases

Things I'm looking forward to buying/hearing:
While Heaven Wept-Vast Oceans Lachrymose(finally! the end of 09')
The_Elite

Post by The_Elite »

So far:
In Solitude
Helvetets Port
Dark Forest
Unanimated
Necrophobic
Absu
Funeral Mist
Beherit

Good shout on the Skyclad- reviewed it recently and really enjoyed it.

Lots of great reissues this year too.
Helm

Post by Helm »

The Forsaken album is good but I don't think it outdoes the previous Dominaeon.
DMR

Post by DMR »

voidghast wrote:Things I'm looking forward to buying/hearing:
While Heaven Wept-Vast Oceans Lachrymose(finally! the end of 09')
Yeah! They've had the title track on their Myspace page for a while now and it's fantastic! If the whole album is that good, it'll be a classic for sure.