The Lamp of Thoth - Portents, Omens & Dooms

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
'pataphysicien

The Lamp of Thoth - Portents, Omens & Dooms

Post by 'pataphysicien »

ok, here's what I splurged out spontaneously:

a great album for sure, but I think my expectations were a bit different from what the band delivered and probably set out to deliver too. a lot has to do with the 'fun' vibe that is so pervasive, but I could and should have anticipated that of course from everything released so far. somehow I think I crave sincerely troubled and troubling darkness in doom. there is something about the production also, a bit disjointed somehow, but I can't put my finger on it yet. awesome vocals (with some weaknesses here and there, but the styles, variety and drama really make them so great) good songwriting and filled with godly riffs - they will slay live, no doubt about that! this needs many more spins though and I'll add my impressions as they come in.

any opinions on this album?
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Yeah, it isn't as dark and crushing as I had hoped, but it's a great album nonetheless. But like you said, it needs more spins to really sink in.
mordred

Post by mordred »

I personally think this is a crushing album that well surpasses the already great 10" they put out last year. I don't mind the somewhat humorous side of some things. Come on, it's not like you'd believe that Lord Strange sang "fucking on the altair of the church in town, turning all the crosses upside down" in all right-through seriousness anyway. I take myself seriously and I take metal and doom seriously too, but not so seriously that I can't stand someting tongue in cheek. Lighten up.

The Lamp have done one of the top five albums of the year for me.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

mordred wrote:I personally think this is a crushing album that well surpasses the already great 10" they put out last year. I don't mind the somewhat humorous side of some things. Come on, it's not like you'd believe that Lord Strange sang "fucking on the altair of the church in town, turning all the crosses upside down" in all right-through seriousness anyway. I take myself seriously and I take metal and doom seriously too, but not so seriously that I can't stand someting tongue in cheek. Lighten up.

I don't need to lighten up, but thanks for the advice :wink: I agree about the top five. and it is a crushing album. there is just nothing that does not feel tongue in cheek. it's a great, fun and often wonderfully eerie and obscure feeling album - generally very well done. I just cracked up at the greatness of 'your closest friend is a goat' whilst shopping, superb stuff. so don't get me wrong, I love the tongue-in-cheekness of it, the lyrics are extremely well written too. it's just that I was hoping for something 'deeper' here and there, regardless of how that sounds. it's that deeper connection that ties me so close to the few, most cherished doom bands, that's all. and I would have wished that TLoT became one of them because they are hands down an awesome band.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

'pataphysicien wrote:
mordred wrote:I personally think this is a crushing album that well surpasses the already great 10" they put out last year. I don't mind the somewhat humorous side of some things. Come on, it's not like you'd believe that Lord Strange sang "fucking on the altair of the church in town, turning all the crosses upside down" in all right-through seriousness anyway. I take myself seriously and I take metal and doom seriously too, but not so seriously that I can't stand someting tongue in cheek. Lighten up.

I don't need to lighten up, but thanks for the advice :wink: I agree about the top five. and it is a crushing album. there is just nothing that does not feel tongue in cheek. it's a great, fun and often wonderfully eerie and obscure feeling album - generally very well done. I just cracked up at the greatness of 'your closest friend is a goat' whilst shopping, superb stuff. so don't get me wrong, I love the tongue-in-cheekness of it, the lyrics are extremely well written too. it's just that I was hoping for something 'deeper' here and there, regardless of how that sounds. it's that deeper connection that ties me so close to the few, most cherished doom bands, that's all. and I would have wished that TLoT became one of them because they are hands down an awesome band.
To me, the humour and tongue in cheek is one of the main reasons why The Lamp are so great. It's about good songs and doom first, sure, but theirs is Hammer horror doom. It's about the Devil Rides Out, not existentialist "occultism as a metaphor" pondering.

And Stefan, you really need to cheer up. You Killjoy, you :lol:
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

great_knuthulhu wrote:
'pataphysicien wrote:

To me, the humour and tongue in cheek is one of the main reasons why The Lamp are so great. It's about good songs and doom first, sure, but theirs is Hammer horror doom. It's about the Devil Rides Out, not existentialist "occultism as a metaphor" pondering.

And Stefan, you really need to cheer up. You Killjoy, you :lol:
so I guess I do, if you say so as well :lol: it's definitely a case of different tools for different tasks. I'll take The Lamp to cheer up and Reverend Bizarre for the depressive spells then 8)
Metal Mike

Post by Metal Mike »

I'll just stop by and say this is a fucking class album! Along with the last Gates of Slumber album, I just can't stop listening to it! Amazing and makes me proud to be English! :twisted:
Levi

Post by Levi »

Great band. Released only top notch stuff, including their awesome demo. Even better live!
ElectricWizard

Post by ElectricWizard »

It's good but not awesome. Maybe my hopes were too high cause I can't shake the feeling of disappointment
kingstomb

Post by kingstomb »

I really like this album, I think it has the same sense of humour that bands like Venom and Witchfinder General had on their earlier releases.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

maybe the best release of this year ... great band !
StygianBlade

Post by StygianBlade »

Great album, great band...
msp

Post by msp »

They played a good set at Dutch Doom Days this year. It was a nice respite from all the Funeral doom that the other bands played.
Oliver/KIT

Post by Oliver/KIT »

Great Band, great Record
ShadowGallery

Post by ShadowGallery »

I love THE LAMP, their mixture of Doom, NWOBHM and Hammer Studios-atmosphere is wonderful and unique......