Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
User avatar
doomedplanet
Posts: 1984

Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:00 pm

I have found no promotion for either of these releases so here you go:

Rusted Metal: A History Of Heavy Metal And Hard Rock In The Pacific Northwest

RUSTED METAL is a definitive book on the history of Heavy Metal and Hard Rock music in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Vancouver BC) from 1970 to the early 90s by local authors and music fans James R. Beach, Brian L. Naron and James D. Sutton. Featuring comprehensive overview of the bands, clubs, music and more (including interviews with members of: Heart, Queensryche, Rail, TKO, Culprit, Sanctuary, Metal Church, Wild Dogs, Pearl Jam, Q5, Heir Apparent, Shadow, Overlord, Panic, Glacier, Coven, Cruella, Whizkey Stik, High Voltage, Widow and many others). (Estimated publication date: Summer, 2016)

Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance (30th Anniversary Edition LP)

Special 30th Anniversary Edition LP of HEIR APPARENT's first album GRACEFUL INHERITANCE from NW Metalworx Music. Originally released in France in 1986 on Black Dragon Records, this is the first time it has been issued in the US. Directly transferred from the original Triad Studios master tapes and with the originally intended cover art by Queensryche artist Matt Bazemore. High-quality yellow colored vinyl. Only 500 numbered copies made. (Available February, 2016)

http://nwmetalworxmusic.com/

FYI, I'm in no way affiliated with this label, but I met the guy running it about a month or so back, looking forward to this book.
"The type of people who buy their albums won't be offended. They like boobs and bare bottoms" - Joanne Latham.

User avatar
ION BRITTON
Posts: 6644

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#2 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:42 pm

doomedplanet wrote:I have found no promotion for either of these releases so here you go:

Rusted Metal: A History Of Heavy Metal And Hard Rock In The Pacific Northwest

RUSTED METAL is a definitive book on the history of Heavy Metal and Hard Rock music in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Vancouver BC) from 1970 to the early 90s by local authors and music fans James R. Beach, Brian L. Naron and James D. Sutton. Featuring comprehensive overview of the bands, clubs, music and more (including interviews with members of: Heart, Queensryche, Rail, TKO, Culprit, Sanctuary, Metal Church, Wild Dogs, Pearl Jam, Q5, Heir Apparent, Shadow, Overlord, Panic, Glacier, Coven, Cruella, Whizkey Stik, High Voltage, Widow and many others). (Estimated publication date: Summer, 2016)



$56.95 shipped. What a pity.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart

User avatar
doomedplanet
Posts: 1984

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#3 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:44 pm

Yeah I cannot speak to the prices, maybe contact them about distribution in your area?
"The type of people who buy their albums won't be offended. They like boobs and bare bottoms" - Joanne Latham.

User avatar
ION BRITTON
Posts: 6644

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#4 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:46 pm

I guess I can give it a try
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win



"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart

User avatar
Avenger
Posts: 8188

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#5 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:09 pm

I'm recieving the same pricing as IB so this is a pass for me. It doesn't cost $21 to ship a single book across the boarder.

I live in Canada and have never heard of Vancouver refered to as part of the "Pacific Northwest". That seems to be an American term. Interesting...

Either way, I wonder how truely comprehensive the book is. Not a fan of anything being refered to as "definitive".
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"

stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."

User avatar
martinsane
Posts: 87

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#6 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:09 am

Avenger wrote:I'm recieving the same pricing as IB so this is a pass for me. It doesn't cost $21 to ship a single book across the boarder.

I live in Canada and have never heard of Vancouver refered to as part of the "Pacific Northwest". That seems to be an American term. Interesting...

Either way, I wonder how truely comprehensive the book is. Not a fan of anything being refered to as "definitive".



I have lived in Washington State my entire 47 years and I have never heard Vancouver BC referenced as the Pacific NW either.

I do hear from time to time advantages folks incorporate Idaho into the Pacific NW, however to me and many others the Pac NW is was and always will be Washington State and Oregon.

That said I have not heard of Heart and Pearl Jam referred to as "metal bands" either so I guess I have learnt a few new things today...

User avatar
Avenger
Posts: 8188

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#7 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:35 pm

martinsane wrote:
Avenger wrote:I'm recieving the same pricing as IB so this is a pass for me. It doesn't cost $21 to ship a single book across the boarder.

I live in Canada and have never heard of Vancouver refered to as part of the "Pacific Northwest". That seems to be an American term. Interesting...

Either way, I wonder how truely comprehensive the book is. Not a fan of anything being refered to as "definitive".



I have lived in Washington State my entire 47 years and I have never heard Vancouver BC referenced as the Pacific NW either.

I do hear from time to time advantages folks incorporate Idaho into the Pacific NW, however to me and many others the Pac NW is was and always will be Washington State and Oregon.

That said I have not heard of Heart and Pearl Jam referred to as "metal bands" either so I guess I have learnt a few new things today...


Glad to know I'm not the only one 8)
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"

stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."

User avatar
bigfootkit
Posts: 2203
Contact:

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#8 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:33 am

martinsane wrote:That said I have not heard of Heart and Pearl Jam referred to as "metal bands" either so I guess I have learnt a few new things today...


That isn't what the blurb said though.
It said it contained interviews with members of those bands, so i'm guessing it includes their recollections on the Metal scene of the area rather than claiming that their bands themselves qualify for inclusion.
For the record, Mike McCready from Pearl Jam was the guitarist in early 80s Seattle metallers Shadow so he likely has some good first-hand recollections of the scene back then. Heart meanwhile owned & operated Bad Animals studios for many a year & were always very supportive of local bands, so they probably knew more about the 70s/80s scene there than you'd first expect too.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.

User avatar
martinsane
Posts: 87

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#9 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:16 pm

As luck would have it I happened to meet James yesterday at a local large indoor yard sale and we discussed his releases and the book and some other local area related musical stuff. Nice guy and a geek like the rest of us when it comes to music. He did mention that he gets the shipping cost conundrum and if anyone wanted just reach out to him directly the shipping costs could be further discussed.

The product looks very nice and some of the vinyls are in Europe as Heir Apparent has or will be taking some with them for sale.

I will be discussing some more with him his book which is still in its infancy and all things music. I am looking forward to the shows they are putting together both in Portland and Seattle with HP and some others. I know I will get out to the Portland show.

User avatar
DaN
Administructor
Posts: 6218
Contact:

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#10 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:52 pm

X'ing my fingers they bring a few copies of the book to KIT ...and that it includes an encyclopedia-section.

User avatar
doomedplanet
Posts: 1984

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#11 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:32 pm

Yes, James knows his stuff. At least related to NW metal as that is all we had time to talk about. I threw some obscure trivia at him and he knew it off the top of his head. So yes it is safe to say he is one of us. He ought to join this forum. I sent him a pdf of the Intensity 'zine and never heard back from him

martinsane wrote:As luck would have it I happened to meet James yesterday at a local large indoor yard sale and we discussed his releases and the book and some other local area related musical stuff. Nice guy and a geek like the rest of us when it comes to music. He did mention that he gets the shipping cost conundrum and if anyone wanted just reach out to him directly the shipping costs could be further discussed.

The product looks very nice and some of the vinyls are in Europe as Heir Apparent has or will be taking some with them for sale.

I will be discussing some more with him his book which is still in its infancy and all things music. I am looking forward to the shows they are putting together both in Portland and Seattle with HP and some others. I know I will get out to the Portland show.
"The type of people who buy their albums won't be offended. They like boobs and bare bottoms" - Joanne Latham.

User avatar
doomedplanet
Posts: 1984

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#12 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:30 pm

update from from Mr. Beach from Facebook, slightly edited:

So this door stop is finally getting close to being done and I have something to show (a few of my friends up in Seattle saw it this last weekend) so why not post it here as well. Of course it has lived on my computer and backup hard drive this whole time as it has grown, but something about it being physical form just really makes it more real, eh? At just under 900 pages without editing (and images! Those will go in during the design phase next), you don't want to drop this first draft on your foot! It is RUSTED METAL, the NW Heavy Metal and Hard Rock history book that has consumed almost five years of my life with research, interviews, writing, compiling, etc. is just about done. It spans from 1970 - 1995 and covers Washington, Oregon, Idaho and even Vancouver BC. About 500 band bios, around 90 interviews, concert listings, venues, discography, record labels, zines and a ton of flyers, photos, covers, etc. etc. We are planning on launching a pre-order campaign to offer a limited, signed and slipcased hardcover edition very soon with other cool perks, etc. included in the campaign as well. And if all goes well we should have some of the paperback copies in time for the NW Metalfest in March in Seattle, and also a signing party at Georgetown/ Fantagraphics sometime after that (which the hardcover sig sheets will probably be signed at). So it's finally very close to coming out. The biggest book project I have ever taken on in my life and I can't wait for it to be completely done and in everybody's hands to read it!
Thanks to everybody else who helped with interviews, info, materials, support, encouragement and more. (Too many to mention and tag here but rest assured you are thanked in the book!) And we're not done yet, but looking at the final lap or two now. Very soon...
"The type of people who buy their albums won't be offended. They like boobs and bare bottoms" - Joanne Latham.

User avatar
Khnud
Posts: 2247

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#13 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:02 pm

I ought to get this, but shipping costs will probably be insane. :-/
Laugh at you in ecstasy, wallow in the gore.
Blast you with their twisted minds, behold the Dogs Of War.

User avatar
doomedplanet
Posts: 1984

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#14 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:01 am

When I see James next month I'm going to mention he ought to contact NWN or HHR so overseas customers can take advantage of their DHL shipping.

Khnud wrote:I ought to get this, but shipping costs will probably be insane. :-/
"The type of people who buy their albums won't be offended. They like boobs and bare bottoms" - Joanne Latham.

User avatar
Khnud
Posts: 2247

Re: Rusted Metal (Book) & Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance

Post#15 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:14 am

Just saw a Facebook post by James that Underground Power in Germany are supposed to carry their releases. Just ordered from them a few weeks ago, might have to do it again soon.
Laugh at you in ecstasy, wallow in the gore.
Blast you with their twisted minds, behold the Dogs Of War.

Return to “Victim Of Time”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests

cron